Reinsterting Converter Into Namiki/pilot Vp: What Am I Doing Wrong?

Friend of Pens

I'm the very happy owner of a VP that came with a twist-style converter, and I've been using it for some months. When I got the pen, the converter was very firmly fastened in to the end of the nib and didn't want to come out, so I left it alone and have been writing and refilling with no problems.

I recently had a reason to temporary put the converter on another Pilot pen, and to my surprise, it removed easily from the VP with just a light tug. It worked great in the Pilot, and now it's time to go back...

...except I can't figure out how to do it. There's something preventing the converter from seating all the way in, so it's just lightly resting inside the barrel of the nib assembly, instead of fitting snugly around the interior as I know Pilot carts and converters do. As it stands now, it's certainly not ink-tight.

Is there some secret to re-attaching these that I don't know about? I'm thinking that whatever held the converter in place with such force back when the pen was new is now preventing the re-insertion. The converter is fine, and it's back on the other pen for the time being, where it fits fine and snugly.

Any tips? Of course the business end of the converter is out of sight inside the nib unit, so I can't tell what's going on in there. I suspect gremlins.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graystranger

• Friend of Pens

• openionated

• Oldparkerguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm having exactly the same problem. A gifted VP has a cartridge in it, when I tried to put the squeeze type converter in it simply won't seat and there appears to be a structure interfering down in where it would likely seat and seal.

I'll second gremlins.

Dana

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Look very closely at the converter. There is a small "bump" that must be aligned with a notch in the nib section before it will go all the way in. The bump is so small most don't even notice it, but if you don't align it with the notch, you'll drive yourself insane trying to get it right. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

I just looked at six Con-50 converters and two Con-20 converters, and the cheap little squeeze converter that comes with the Pilot Parallel pens. None of them had a "bump" and there was not a notch in the nib section all all. There is no need to orient the converter when it is inserted. In fact, the converters can be rotated once seated.

I think you are talking about the bump on the nib assembly that has to align with the notch in the barrel threads before the back end can be screwed down properly.

I thought the cheap squeeze converters that came with the Parallel pens would not even fit the other Pilot pens until I pressed one very hard and it snapped into place. Did not have to do this with the Con-20 high quality squeeze converters nor the Con-50 piston/twist converters. All of them seated smoothly and tightly in all my Pilot pens, including my two Vanishing Points.

But, I would look carefully into the nib assembly with a flashlight to see if it is clear. The center has a cylindrical tube cut off an an angle (to pierce a new cartridge). Also, try a cartridge. If a Pilot cartridge (new or empty) will not seat you have a problem. If it does, then a Pilot converter will seat as the end of the converter is identical with a cartridge in geometry (the ID of the end, as that is what slips over the nipple inside the nib assembly).

Finally, make sure you have a Pilot made converter, not something else. Here is a photo of the Pilot Con-20.

post-106621-0-11439500-1436388933_thumb.jpg

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

[removes converter to get a close look, finds no mysterious bump]

[flushes pen and converter out with water]

[reinserts converter on first try]

:headsmack:

I don't know what voodoo did it, but it did it. I wonder if the little surface-tension-breaking bead was somehow getting caught up in the angled plastic piece? Anyway, it's seated now, and will remain so for the immediate future. Thanks all!

Interesting! I'm not using any of my Con-50 converters (I prefer the larger ink capacity of cartridges and refill them), but I probably would hold the nib pointing up when inserting the converter, so the little thingy would fall away from the nipple.

Anyway, sounds like your observation may be right. Goes to show, if it does not feel right, don't every force it. Breaking the nipple would cost you a new nib assembly!! Glad everything is AOK now.

I think you are talking about the bump on the nib assembly that has to align with the notch in the barrel threads before the back end can be screwed down properly.

My mistake. You are correct, the bump is on the nib assembly. The memory is the first thing to go. :blush:

In my case, it was the eyes!! Having to wear prescription glasses for reading and seeing things closeup. Then the eye loupes, Hastings triplets, lighted magnifiers. Even with the most recent Rx I still cannot see closeup like I did back in my 20's!!!

At least, I don't think I can, not sure I remember that far back to really know. Where was I?