The Nth Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Review

sannidh

Could not resist posting yet another Pilot Custom 92 Review. Have also replicated the content with some more pictures in the blog. Happy reading ! Below is a link to the same:

The Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Review

I am not sure whether you too will get a Custom Heritage 92 (CH92) after falling intensely in love with a Custom 74 model. Many reviews do reveal this graduation of Pilot Love. Although my love for pilot pens can be absolutely blamed on genes. Initially, the CH92 were released as clear demonstrators around October 2010, sporting a #5 rhodiated nib. Since it was 92 years after the company’s inception (i.e. 1918), it does carry the first two digits of the model number as ‘92’ and the third digit which is by default ‘1’ usually refers price at launch of a pilot pen (i.e 1 X JPY 10,000). However, there is a minor deviation here, the price at launch was JPY 15,000, since the Custom 74 was already priced at JPY 10,000. The coloured versions were released two years later in 2012.

The CH92 (for the Asian market) comes packaged in a standard pilot gift box (Z-CR-GN) which may not be able to draw any attention, but the pen definitely does. I just fell in love with the ocean blue colour. The simplistic yet elegant design sustains the traditional functionalities in a modern garb. Definitely with the times, the ‘asa-gao’ ocean blue transparent body says everything about itself. Asagao refers to a bluish flower which is more commonly known as Japanese Morning Glory. It also comes in Sunset Orange (Yu-yake), Smoke (Kirisame) colours. The box carries a user manual for a Type S fountain pen.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/CH92/DSC_4192_zpshvuhydlm.jpg

DESIGN - THE COLOURED DEMONSTRATORS (6/6)

The CH92 comes in four standard designs of transparency - Blue, Orange, Smoke and Clear resin, all in silver trims. The resin material feels strong though not substantial like the Custom 823. Initially I went for the Asa-Gao Blue with medium nib which wrote beautifully, and I could not resist getting another. The second one was another Asa-Gao then a Yu-Yake Sunset Orange.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/CH92/DSC_4194_zpsgmpj76zo.jpg

The demonstrators given their lightness, are capable of refracting even a tiny bit of light, while a silver shimmer running across the centre band along with the clip creates a photogenic contrast. The smoky finials at the cap along with the piston knob conclude its design.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/CH92/DSC_4198_zpsawr21ulg.jpg

The cap is light and unscrews with little more than a turn, revealing the dazzling nib. The grip section is moulded from the same smoky transparent resin as the finial (cap) and knob, with a metal ring segregating, the grip from the barrel. The transparency does reveal the inside works of its piston mechanism.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/CH92/DSC_4204_zpsdlqifgfi.jpg

The cap does mention a few things etched across a lower centre band, including the model name CUSTOM HERITAGE 92 and PILOT JAPAN. I somehow miss the stars in the other custom series pens. An apparently segregate band above (although its part of the centre band only), renders some differential aesthetics to the overall design. The clip is tension-fit and has the shape of the double-edged Japanese sword Tsurugi.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/CH92/DSC_4205_zpsykihcewz.jpg

The subtle gradient created by the transparent body, along with the smoky black grip, finial (cap) and piston-knob sections converge the rhodium sheen to render a well-orchestrated symphony of colours. No component individually would seem as stupendous as the complete pen.

FILLING SYSTEM (6/6)

A small but remarkably efficient piston knob unscrews from the metal ring to a quick end stop. And it does go the distance when the knob is screwed back on by filling the barrel upto a volume of 1.2 - 1.3 mL. The outer connector of the piston mechanism consists of a metal unit fastened to a inner plastic unit, and it can be disengaged with a TWSBI wrench (7mm) as shown here by Hari. This helps add weight to pen and ensures that a metal wrench meets metal and thereby does not cause undue damage.

Cleaning the pen is a similar ritual accompanied by some shake. If there is some remnant ink left at the end of grip section, it’s an easy clean. You can repeatedly fill and flush the pen with the grip section dipped inside a bowl of water, or you can just remove the friction fit nib-unit and clean the insides with a soft damp cloth.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/CH92/DSC_4274_zpspispve6n.jpg

NIB - ALL THAT MATTERS (6/6)

The nib is friction-fit and comes in a standard 14k rhodiated design across four stock widths - F, FM, M & B. The nib has the standard pilot design.

The tail end of the nib specifies the month and year of manufacture. An elongated hexagonal imprint separates the design from the outer shoulders and tines with an arabesque decor running inside its circumference, encompassing the circular breather hole in between.

The branding and nib specifications of PILOT, 14k-585 (58.5% Au Alloy) along with the nib size and width, which are imprinted below the breather hole.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/CH92/DSC_4246_zpsoalcdrmy.jpg

A standard bluish grey plastic feed with moderately spaced fins and a decently sized feeder hole delivers the amazing ink suction.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/CH92/DSC_4248_zpshqqi5gbn.jpg

PHYSICS OF IT (5/6) – RELATIVELY SPEAKING

With a translucent resin body in form of a truncated cigar, it does give a comfortable feel of posted length. The cap weighs 8 grams. It’s a comfortable grip section with around 1 cm diameter. Un-posted, its gives a lacking feeling of both length and weight.

Uncapped Length ~ 12 cm

Posted Length ~ 15 cm

Nib Leverage ~ 1.9 cm

Overall Weight ~ 20 g

Uncapped and posted comparisons with a few similar pens like the Custom 74 and the Pelikan m605 go below for your reference.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/CH92/DSC_4259_zpsdf5h1ico.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/CH92/DSC_4266_zpscwwl0o4u.jpg

ECONOMIC VALUE(6/6)

The CH92 retails at around USD 220, and as usual it’s available at lower street prices towards a band of USD 130-140. I had bought the first pen at a cost of USD 130, and the subsequent ones at lower prices (with varied customs). Since pilot has stopped production of these coloured versions for some time now (as per two Japanese retailers), online retailers are selling off their leftover stock quite cheaply, getting as low as USD 110, to clear off old stock. May be Pilot is coming up with a new piston filler, who knows!

OVERALL (5.8/6)

This 14k nib has a smooth and wet flow. The nib is sturdy and does not have any line variation. It may lack the bit of softness and spring of a Custom 74 nib, but that’s purely my experience. There is absence of any significant variation among the horizontal and vertical strokes. These wet lines take almost 15 secs to dry a Visconti Blue Ink on MD paper.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/CH92/DSC_4286_zpsa9plh21w.jpg

Here are the adorable articles on Pilot CH92 which I refer: Hari & Losepus

Thank you for going through the review. Hope you enjoyed it.

Best,

Sonik

Edited by soniknitr

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• s_t_e_v_e

• hari317

• J_MM

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Pilot pens. I don't have one of these, though. Thanks for the review.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thank you for the review. My favorite and most used pens are Pilot pens. I especially like the comparison shots with the M605 blue demonstrator. Size wise, they look very similar. How would you compare the two in terms of writing feel?

Hi Sonik, very nice review and the 92 is at least as well engineered as a Pelikan M400, but in my view Pilot has bettered it by allowing the piston filler to be disassembled from the body if the need arises. My only complaint against Pilot reg the colored versions is that they have lazily used the finial, section and the piston knob from the smoked version. I feel it does not go well with the blue or the orange. They could have done a better job of coordinating these elements, like they did on the 823 for instance. Reg pricing yes I have been able to buy a few early this year at very low prices, at twisbi prices in fact.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Great review, Sonik!

Nice pics too! It's a nice pen.

If only it was also available in solid/opaque colors.

Thank you so much s_t_e_v_e. It's really a value for money pen, and Hari has already said, it's at least as well engineered as a m400, if not better. I guess the lack of a piston filler makes you disinterested in its elder cousin custom heritage 91

Best,

Sonik

Edited by soniknitr

I really like Pilot pens. I don't have one of these, though. Thanks for the review.

Thank you Frank..This one is a fun pen :)

My colleagues think it's less than $2 pen, because of the transparent plastic.

Best,

Sonik

Thank you for the review. My favorite and most used pens are Pilot pens. I especially like the comparison shots with the M605 blue demonstrator. Size wise, they look very similar. How would you compare the two in terms of writing feel?

Thank you dwong. To answer your question, Even if they are quite similar in both size and dimensions, there is a substantial bit of both spring & softness in the m605 nib compared to CH92.

And m605 (F) lays a relatively dry-ink like pelikan 4001 like a fire-hose :P.

The writing experience with the 605 is quite different.

Below is an old pic I found in the album. (The paper is ordinary, that's why it has dried quickly 15-20 sec)

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/1-m605_zpsplopsmin.jpg

Edited by soniknitr

Hi Sonik, very nice review and the 92 is at least as well engineered as a Pelikan M400, but in my view Pilot has bettered it by allowing the piston filler to be disassembled from the body if the need arises. My only complaint against Pilot reg the colored versions is that they have lazily used the finial, section and the piston knob from the smoked version. I feel it does not go well with the blue or the orange. They could have done a better job of coordinating these elements, like they did on the 823 for instance. Reg pricing yes I have been able to buy a few early this year at very low prices, at twisbi prices in fact.

Thank you so much Hari. Apart from the engineering, the piston fittings are of high quality which you have excellently showed here. I found TWSBI plastic cheap, compared to CH92 spindle and connector. Guess pilot have economized on the fittings like all Japanese companies, but did not pay attention to details, which they could have done. 823 is a gorgeous pen, and if I dont buy any other pen, I will go for a smoke one. CH92 at TWSBI prices !! :puddle: That's a revelation

Best,

Sonik

Thank you so much Hari. Apart from the engineering, the piston fittings are of high quality which you have excellently showed here. I found TWSBI plastic cheap, compared to CH92 spindle and connector. Guess pilot have economized on the fittings like all Japanese companies, but did not pay attention to details, which they could have done. 823 is a gorgeous pen, and if I dont buy any other pen, I will go for a smoke one. CH92 at TWSBI prices !! :puddle: That's a revelation

Best,

Sonik

I have just one twisbi which was a gift from a dear friend. I have kept that one safely, it has never seen ink. From what I read on the internet and the pics I see of defects and failures, I can easily believe your assessment about twisbi.

I had misremembered, It was Dec 2014, I just snapped this out of my purchase history:

fpn_1436352991__ch92.png

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

fpn_1436352991__ch92.png

Hari, this is really unbelievable & really a great deal .. :thumbup:

I do not really understand TWSBI's marketing, but this is all what they could find on their FB page . :lticaptd:

Edited by soniknitr

Hari, this is really unbelievable.. :thumbup:

I do not understand TWSBI's marketing, but this is what they shared on their FB page . :lticaptd:

It was just a matter of luck finding a 92 at this price, I had bid much more than the final closing price.

Reg the FB thing, I will have to log in with my home computer to see what they write.

Best

Hari

Thank you so much s_t_e_v_e. It's really a value for money pen, and Hari has already said, it's at least as well engineered as a m400, if not better. I guess the lack of a piston filler makes you disinterested in its elder cousin custom heritage 91

Best,

Sonik

Hi Sonik,

At some point this year, I was considering the Heritage 91 but chose the Platinum #3776 Bourgogne instead. I thought it looked classier than both the Heritage 91 and 92. I totally agree with Hari on the choice of finial. I guess sometimes companies make design decisions that don't appeal to many.

Steve

Hi Sonik,

At some point this year, I was considering the Heritage 91 but chose the Platinum #3776 Bourgogne instead. I thought it looked classier than both the Heritage 91 and 92. I totally agree with Hari on the choice of finial. I guess sometimes companies make design decisions that don't appeal to many.

Steve

That's another very nice pen, Steve. I love the looks of both bourgogne and chartres blue 3776s.

Just for curiosity's sake, do you prefer a matching ink in the bourgogne ? If yes, then which ink :) ?

Sadly, the design part is very true about the CH92 model. I also don't like the fact that the 'custom' custom 845s get to have a black grip section, black finials and finally a black region beneath the cap band.

Best,

Sonik

That's another very nice pen, Steve. I love the looks of both bourgogne and chartres blue 3776s.

Just for curiosity's sake, do you prefer a matching ink in the bourgogne ? If yes, then which ink :) ?

Sadly, the design part is very true about the CH92 model. I also don't like the fact that the 'custom' custom 845s get to have a black grip section, black finials and finally a black region beneath the cap band.

Best,

Sonik

I do like matching inks to pens. I have been using the Montblanc Corn Poppy Red in the Bourgogna. I have a bottle of PR Burgundy mist which I bought sometime in 2011. I wanted to use it in the 3776 but it has been acting weird with some kind of film forming on the surface (when in the bottle). I think it has gone bad, so I ended up using the MB.

I haven't been buying a lot of ink lately as I am trying to finish the few that I already have. But I really really want MB Lavender Purple, Iro Fuyu Gaki and Noodler's apache sunset :P

Steve

I do like matching inks to pens. I have been using the Montblanc Corn Poppy Red in the Bourgogna. I have a bottle of PR Burgundy mist which I bought sometime in 2011. I wanted to use it in the 3776 but it has been acting weird with some kind of film forming on the surface (when in the bottle). I think it has gone bad, so I ended up using the MB.

I haven't been buying a lot of ink lately as I am trying to finish the few that I already have. But I really really want MB Lavender Purple, Iro Fuyu Gaki and Noodler's apache sunset :P

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have a kind of mixed experience with pilot nibs (the finer ones) + MB inks which have a good shading. I checked reviews of both the inks and find the shading of the MB Corn poppy red, real amazing

The poppy red seems to be a great match for your 3776 :D

Thank you for sharing.

Btw, I have asked my cousin to get me Apache sunset and gvfc moss green from the States :rolleyes:

Best,

Sonik

Great review, very useful. I've long had this pen in my sights, but the black bits kill the aesthetics for me, it looks too busy, seeing it next to a Pelikan made me realise this.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sweet review of a great pen.

My own CH92 came very dry out of the box (but very smooth) and needed to have the flow adjusted.

It's perfect now.

Pelikan | Pilot | Montblanc | Sailor | Franklin-Christoph | Platinum | OMAS

Great review, very useful. I've long had this pen in my sights, but the black bits kill the aesthetics for me, it looks too busy, seeing it next to a Pelikan made me realise this.

Thank you for your kind feedback, pseudo88. Although I am kind of good with the black bits, it does drive many people off the CH92.

Sweet review of a great pen.

My own CH92 came very dry out of the box (but very smooth) and needed to have the flow adjusted.

It's perfect now.

Thank you atomic_doug. I had one with a FM nib which came dry (which I later exchanged for another M nib).

Glad to hear that you have adjusted the flow :)