mehandiratta

Chelpark is one of the oldest brand of Ink in India. And the company is staring the closure at the moment and it is difficult to get stock of the inks easily now.

My earlier Ink reviews are listed as below:

BRIL ROYAL BLUE

CAMLIN SCARLET RED

Chelpark is currently manufactured by PG Stationary in Bangalore and as per local availability following inks can be found in market:

1. Black
  2. Blue Black
  3. Washable Blue
  4. Turquoise Blue
  5. Crimson Violet (Old stock available only)
  6. Ruby Red
  7. Emerald Green (Not available anymore)
  8. Sapphire Blue (Not available anymore)

The Chelpark Black Ink which i will be reviewing today comes at price of Rs. 20 for 60 ml glass bottle.

However this bottle was gifted to me by my friend Prithwijit.

img_20150706_184247-011.jpeg?w=768

Chelpark Black - 60 ml Glass Bottle

Its a dye based ink and comes with so called Cleen-X technology which prevents clogging. Chelpark inks used to be most widely used ink in the India but lately the production is on and off and the supply is not regular. Even their are speculation that company is getting closed.

This ink is actually not black at all rather the faded black and is very diluted. One can easily say it is more of a grey rather than black.

INK SPLASH

img_20150706_184311-011.jpeg?w=768

Chelpark Black - Ink Splash on Bilt Matrix paper - 70 gsm

I am pretty much disappointed with the color of this ink. It is no where near black rather it is grey. If one is intending to use the ink as grey one might be pleased. But i am not.

DROP ON PAPER NAPKIN
img_20150706_184613-011.jpeg?w=768
Chelpark Black - Ink drop on paper napkin
COLOR MATCH
color-match-black.jpg?w=768
Chelpark Black - Color Match
WRITING SAMPLES
On Century Copy Paper
img_20150706_185221-011.jpeg?w=768
Chelpark Black - Writing sample on Century Copy Paper - 70 gsm
img_20150706_185209-011.jpeg?w=768
img_20150706_185146-011.jpeg?w=768
On BILT Matrix Paper
img_20150706_185000-011.jpeg?w=768
Chelpark Black - Writing sample on BILT Matrix Paper - 70 gsm
img_20150706_184952-011.jpeg?w=768
img_20150706_184929-011.jpeg?w=768
On Camlin Kokuyo School Notebook
img_20150706_184625-011.jpeg?w=768
Chelpark Black - Writing sample on Camlin Kokuyo School Notebook
img_20150706_184631-011.jpeg?w=768
img_20150706_184813-011.jpeg?w=768
The handwritten samples clearly shows the darkness of color. It is a light grey ink and perform substantially okay with wet medium nib like Jinhao X750.
Also we can see a bit of shading on a very lighter side.
INK SWABS
img_20150706_184541-011.jpeg?w=768
Chelpark Black - on Camlin Kokuyo Notebook (from top to bottom , 1 Swab, 2 Swabs, & 3 Swabs)
img_20150706_184824-011.jpeg?w=768
Chelpark Black - on BILT Matrix - 70 gsm (from top to bottom , 1 Swab, 2 Swabs, & 3 Swabs)
img_20150706_185122-011.jpeg?w=768
Chelpark Black - on Century Copy Paper (from top to bottom , 1 Swab, 2 Swabs, & 3 Swabs)
WATERPROOF TEST
img_20150706_185507-011.jpeg?w=768
Chelpark Black - Waterproof Test
It is clear that ink is not completely washed out. The paper directly was run through tap water for 60 seconds.
BLOW UP WRITING SAMPLE
img_20150706_185157-011.jpeg?w=768
Chelpark Black - Zoomed in Writing Sample on Century Copy Paper
img_20150706_185024-011.jpeg?w=768
Chelpark Black - Zoomed in Writing Sample on BILT Matrix Paper
For more details and review kindly visit my blog : LINK
CONCLUSION:
The ink is not what you expect from a black ink.
Its very faded and not light in color more towards grey. I beleive Camlin Black is far better than Chelpark Black,
I beleive this ink can be avoided totally if you are looking for Black Ink but at the same time if you are game for grey ink at cheap price this is for you.

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• mehandiratta

• visvamitra

• Dhruv_Sood

As you say, it is a terrible black but as a grey it is quite nice. Thank you for the review!

It seems quite hard to find online, can you recommend a store that ships overseas?

Edited by Venator

It looks like a pretty decent pencil imitator though!

Ha ha ha... But it has shading....

As you say, it is a terrible black but as a grey it is quite nice. Thank you for the review!

It seems quite hard to find online, can you recommend a store that ships overseas?

Thank you... I will have to look ... i can probably share sample with you....

Very thorough review! I agree it's more a grey than black ink.

Totally agreed... Thank you for going through review....

vaibhav mehandiratta

Hi,

Not entirely unrelated, but I bought a bottle of sapphire blue in May when I was out of inks and was still waiting for my Japanese inks to arrive. I think it is still available although I am not sure when my bottle was manufactured, could be an old lot.

LOVE IT!

It's kind of what I wanted from Iroshizuku Fuyu Syogun . . .

I'll keep an eye out for it online. Thank you :)

There are so many black inks on the market -- I wonder why they didn't label it a grey ink.

LOVE IT!

It's kind of what I wanted from Iroshizuku Fuyu Syogun . . .

My thoughts exactly.

I know.

Can I find it on sale anywhere? No. :mellow:

I can send you a sample if you want

vaibhav mehandiratta

What about Flaming Orange coming next :)

Thank you for appreciation... Will get hold of sulekha inks soon...

vaibhav mehandiratta

I can send you a sample if you want

Aww, that's very kind :) but I can already see from your review that I like this ink's colour.

I will persevere, keep looking. Good things come to those who wait eh . . . (although I have been waiting rather a long time to win the lottery)

Aww, that's very kind :) but I can already see from your review that I like this ink's colour.

I will persevere, keep looking. Good things come to those who wait eh . . . (although I have been waiting rather a long time to win the lottery)

do let me know if you require...

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 1 month later...

Ta daaa. I finally have some.

A fellow FPN member and I have kindly swapped inks across the world. I sent over a bottle of Diamine's 150th Regency Blue from London and in return I was sent a bottle of the Chelpark Black.

I agree completely with your findings that it is a grey ink and not a black but I expected that.

Sadly though my bottle has hardly any of the blue charm that your scans show. Instead it is simply a slightly cold biased grey and is not a Fuyu Soygun substitute. :(

Still. It would have always been an itch I couldn't scratch and for that relief I am grateful. :)

Ta daaa. I finally have some.

A fellow FPN member and I have kindly swapped inks across the world. I sent over a bottle of Diamine's 150th Regency Blue from London and in return I was sent a bottle of the Chelpark Black.

I agree completely with your findings that it is a grey ink and not a black but I expected that.

Sadly though my bottle has hardly any of the blue charm that your scans show. Instead it is simply a slightly cold biased grey and is not a Fuyu Soygun substitute. :(

Still. It would have always been an itch I couldn't scratch and for that relief I am grateful. :)

actually there is no blue charm i see... there was ink spill of blue color on the scan...

vaibhav mehandiratta