Ink Review: Diamine Soft Mint

Chrissy

I have decided to review some of my inks. These aren't necessarily in any particular order.

This one is Diamine Soft Mint from the standard range. I decided to give this one a try because I wanted to see how close a match it is to Caran d'Ache Caribbean Sea.

It's an unusual mint green colour, that matches it's name very well. I found it's a much closer match to Caran d'Ache Caribbean Sea than Diamine Steel Blue is, as Steel Blue is both darker and more saturated. I was surprised when using my comparison sample of C d'A CS how blue it was and how unsaturated it looked.

As an alternative to Caran d'Ache Caribbean Sea, this ink might be worth a try. It's about the same brightness, but only very slightly more green.

I had Soft Mint in both of my Lamy Nexx M pens for several days while writing parts of the review, and I didn't experience any flow or lubrication problems. I found the ink flowed very freely on the smooth Xerox 100 g/sm ColorPrint paper that I frequently use for my ink reviews. It was a pleasure to write with this ink.

As usual for a Diamine ink, it's a well behaved, fairly saturated ink. It shows some shading.

This ink exhibited some showthrough and a few odd dots of bleedthrough on my Xerox ColorPrint paper.

• The water test on the review form shows this isn't a waterproof ink, although it was reasonably resistant.
  • Bearing in mind the paper I use is thick with a shiny surface, and the nibs used were a M and a stub, this ink was fairly quick drying. It dried in less than 10 secs. That's a very unusual result on this paper.
  • It flows through the pen well and lubricates the nib well. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests and changed over uncapped pens.
  • It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles, 30ml plastic refill bottles or cartridges.
  • Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
  • It's a reasonable price

fpn_1500395294__diamine_soft_minta.jpgfpn_1500395323__diamine_soft_mintb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Chrissy

• alexander_k

• FatherFP

Thanks for the review. It seems a nice ink but I wish it were darker. Such pale colours can't fill a whole page for me, they're just for a few lines - headings, notes, illustrations. I guess I need more contrast between paper and ink.

Great review and thank you so much for the comparison to Caribbean Sea! I LOVED Caribbean Sea and was so sad that they discontinued it. I just purchased a bottle of Soft Mint the other day, and haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Now, I'm really looking forward to i! :)

Thanks for the review. It seems a nice ink but I wish it were darker. Such pale colours can't fill a whole page for me, they're just for a few lines - headings, notes, illustrations. I guess I need more contrast between paper and ink.

Great review and thank you so much for the comparison to Caribbean Sea! I LOVED Caribbean Sea and was so sad that they discontinued it. I just purchased a bottle of Soft Mint the other day, and haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Now, I'm really looking forward to i! :)

Thanks for your comments.

My main reason for selecting this ink for a review was to directly compare it with C d'A Caribbean Sea.

I was advised that Diamine Steel Blue was a good replacement, but my findings are that it's darker and more saturated. In fact I love the way that D. Steel Blue behaves, and it has some shading.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just trying to fill a short cartridge with this ink from a sample bottle. I had the sample in the sink and it tipped over. Drat. At least I got the cartridge filled. Some ink remains.

Posted Image

They should sell this at Tiffany's... Not my cup of tea but plenty of people could start their journey that way...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 1 year later...

Came back to this review. I've been using Soft Mint in a Michael's Recollections mint colored planner calendar. The Mint planner is a different sort of mint, more light green. But the ink looks good coming from my Regal Alice 117 fountain pen in what they call turquoise.

The pen has a medium nib, and the ink does not show through. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the Midori Travelers weekly planner inserts. The 6 rings in the Recollection planner get in the way of writing. I really like the ink on that paper.

Inks can look different coming from different pens/nib sizes. If you are on the fence I'd recommend getting a sample or 30ml bottle.

Posted Image