Desk Pen Edition Of Show Off Your Esterbrooks

NobleDel

Pretty! I really like the non-black desk pens.

Speaking of black/lucite desk pens, I have an extra and would love to give it to someone here. It's a later model with the rounded lever, the sac is good and it could use a polish.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• ScienceChick

• NobleDel

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't that pretty. If I didn't just spend a small fortune at the Dallas Pen Show, I'd be trying for it. It'll be interesting to see how it finishes.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Hello ISW_Kaputnik. I think I've seen the desk fountain pen base (on the right) referred to as a deco base. Personally, I like the looks of this base better than the 8 ball base. It doesn't look so mid-century modern like the 8 ball.

I've usually heard it called The Wedge. No idea what the correct terminology is.

John L

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much to the wondrous generosity of Science Chick, my orphan desk 8-ball has a pen now. And it's in great shape!

I've had the base in its box for about 15 years now. It also had some papers with it.

fpn_1444093398__fullsetesterbrookdesk.jp

here's a look at the back of the paper on the desk base showing the different base models

fpn_1444093411__esterbrookdeskmodels.jpg

And then there's that interesting Dollar Pencil booklet. Here's the inside. This looks like the very earliest style of clip design for the Dollar Pen, from the 30's. The graphics in the book seem to fit to that time as well.

fpn_1444093425__esterbrookdollarpencilad

And then the back of the booklet list the different colors and prices.

fpn_1444093440__esterbrookdollarpencilad

Thanks again, Science Chick. I finally have a complete desk set to add to this august company.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

AAAndrew, thanks for posting the photo of your beautiful 8-ball base and accompanying brochures. The heavy metal ring version of the 8-ball is not easy to find! I have seen this style of 8-ball in catalog #38. So it dates from before WWII.

AAAndrew, thanks for posting the photo of your beautiful 8-ball base and accompanying brochures. The heavy metal ring version of the 8-ball is not easy to find! I have seen this style of 8-ball in catalog #38. So it dates from before WWII.

Cool! good to know. I suspected from the brochure for the early Dollar Pencil that it might be from pre-war, late-30's. It's in MIB shape. I suspect, though, that while my new pen looks fantastic with it, it would have originally had one of the standard color pens with black tail. Is that right? What would the original pen have looked like?

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

Looks like a mix-n-match.

The box for your base is probably not large enough to hold a pen, even if unscrewed in the middle.

So you buy the base, then buy the pen that you want, separately.

http://www.esterbrook.net/deskpens.shtml

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

In a rather short time I have now acquired three Dip-Less sets, one of them a double, and it's time to call a halt to this particular subset of dip pen madness. But I like having these in my writing areas. That's not where they're pictured, I posed them on a computer cart in front of the window.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt221/mapn/Pens/20151001_133036_zpsxuxaknqa.jpg

I've got red, black, brown, and green inks available here, L-R. The nibs, also L-R, are 9668, 2668, 9556, and 9450. The pen furthest to the right isn't that clearly visible here, but it's similar to the one pictured by hobiwan in post #60 of this thread. I figured it would go with the green ink.

I imagine it would take a very long time to use up the ink that's in these, particularly since they are being used in rotation with fountain pens. It's nice having the extra colors available, though. I wonder if I should clean the nibs periodically, and how quickly ink will evaporate from the wells.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I don't use my pens enough to warrant inking up my dipless pens.

Or rather I don't use ONE pen enough to warrant that. That is the problem with having many pens inked, they all get used a little, vs. one pen that is used a lot.

www.SFPenShow.com

So anyway , here I was cruising through a flea market when this neat desk base caught my attention

Turned out to be a Dripless, base by none other than the R. Esterbrook Pen Company

Appears to be Bake o Lite, A sort of Terra Cotta base with pen rest and a Neat ink reservoir under the slip on Red Cap

Would anyone know , does it simply just contain a large quantity of ink or was there a bottle to fit this one.

No Pen came with it or box, but fortunately I have a spare dripless pen to got with it now

Please keep adding for desk bases and pens.

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

I don't use my pens enough to warrant inking up my dipless pens. Or rather I don't use ONE pen enough to warrant that. That is the problem with having many pens inked, they all get used a little, vs. one pen that is used a lot.

The trouble I have with having many pens inked is that each tends to get used every few days. With modern C/C pens, they dry up and are often hard to start. With Esterbrooks I find they dry out less, and they are easier to start.

At any rate, having a lot of pens inked tends to result in some pens giving trouble with starting to write because they have dried up. Unless you dilligently write a little with each pen fairly often, like every other day, this can be an issue with having a lot of pens inked. Esties are better than some other pens for resisting drying, but the ones I don't mean to use I rinse out and put them up. .I recommend having fewer pens inked. It makes this hobby less hassle.

I know the great majority of my pens will not be used. They are collectibles. Like Estie Transitionals. I like the look of them, mainly at the barrel end. Or any of the other Esties. There should be no compulsion to use every pen. You should not feel such compulsion. Some pens we just like to have around, because we like to look at them. Desk pens and bases might well fall in here. I do like their looks. So the bases have ballpoints in them and the pens have dented Parker 51 and demi caps. They are nice to have around. Love the desk Estie with the clear red taper. Gadzooks, why was it so hard to remember the word taper? Getting old, disremembering a lot of things but liking having my old friends, the desk pens and bases around.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 3 months later...

Have a new desk pen for my pre-war base.

I believe this is a desk version of a purse pen? It's most definitely tan. It came with a 9556 nib. It needs a new sac and some cleaning up. But I was happy to get it for a small price.

fpn_1454688526__image.jpg

-Montaigne

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like I need to join the party. I've got a couple desk pens, and a base. I even have an aerometric fill desk pen.

That said, this is what happens when you bid without paying close attention. It thought I was getting a pen and a separate base. I was happily surprised to find this in the box when I opened it. The pen is a single piece with the section. The cap is actually permanent.

fpn_1455390163__p2130001.jpg

fpn_1455390293__p2130002.jpg

It looks like I need to join the party. I've got a couple desk pens, and a base. I even have an aerometric fill desk pen.

That said, this is what happens when you bid without paying close attention. It thought I was getting a pen and a separate base. I was happily surprised to find this in the box when I opened it. The pen is a single piece with the section. The cap is actually permanent.

Woah! Now that's really cool. And so "of the period." Not common at all.

-Montaigne

Very interesting. I wonder what the story is behind this match up.

PS - And very cool!!!

Edited by NobleDel

• 1 month later...

I have a new little beauty coming in the mail. I'm assuming it's a later one because the pen is a solid dark maroon rather than the traditional "J" pen red. I also bought a grey one just like this from the same person but a friend who's really into grey pens and was looking for an Esterbrook desk set is getting that one. Again, it's just a solid grey pen.

fpn_1458052510__redset1.jpg

fpn_1458052522__redset2.jpg

fpn_1458052532__redset3.jpg

fpn_1458052540__redset4.jpg

-Montaigne

AAAA

oooooooo nice :-)

Want to sell?

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com

I'll sell you the next one I find. :D

this one's staying! :wub:

-Montaigne