• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• ScienceChick

• NobleDel

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oooooooooo. That's not an original marriage, is it. By 1976 Esterbrook wasn't still making these pens, was it? I like it even if it's not. Sweet shot on your marble desk top.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Check out Jinhao 599s and Dollar 717s by the box on eBay. I give these to students if they've exhausted a Varsity and want to continue with FPs. Keep up the great enabling, Rach! :D

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

oooooooooo. That's not an original marriage, is it. By 1976 Esterbrook wasn't still making these pens, was it? I like it even if it's not. Sweet shot on your marble desk top.

The pen fit so it's a set now LOL :P

I liked my first Esterbrook Dip-Less so much that I've acquired another, but a different model, a 407. I don't count these among my "filled fountain pens", so it's a way to keep some rarely used colors readily available, and to use inks that might be slightly problematic in a regular fountain pen.

This one needed a new gasket (I took some online advice and used a toilet valve seal), and I had to buy the pen separately, but it didn't come to too much. The well is filled now with Noodler's Bad Green Gator, and the pen has a 2668 nib.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt221/mapn/Pens/Dipless1%201_zpsitelx0vc.jpg

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I have one in teal that I acquired from the previous user of my desk in grad school. That was about 50 years ago, and it has always been somewhere on a shelf or on a desk, but it always seems to dry out very quickly. Is there a trick to keeping them inked? Is it the choice of ink, or perhaps how well it fits in the holder socket?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Ooooh, what an awesome thread.

I, too, love my Esterbrook desk pen. It's a beauty. I bought it for less than 10$ and have been amazed by it ever since. It has a very smooth 2668 nib that puts almost everything else to shame. Only gold nibs come close. I quite like this shape, I even think that it's prettier than the other Esterbrook designs.

post-107785-0-46602300-1442438711_thumb.jpg

However it didn't have a base. So I couldn't really use it much because it would dry out pretty soon... I was looking for a base for a long time and an FPN member even sent me one, but it never arrived... :( I then looked around in a number of local antique shops but neither of them had anything suitable.

Then came a great surprise at my birthday. My mom knew of my trouble and was lucky enough to find a pen holder ― I had no idea she would ever buy such a thing, but I got this from her.

post-107785-0-92249500-1442438724_thumb.jpg

This base is made of blue agate and is a great sight to put on my desk. Ever since I got it, I use the desk pen every day. :)

post-107785-0-35404100-1442440159_thumb.jpg

This is a writing sample showing off also the lyrics of my favourite song. The ink is Sepia by Rohrer & Klingner.

Edited by Venemo

Wow, that blue agate base is stunning!

Thanks!

I remember that before handing it to me, my parents were hesitating a bit and said “Son, we're gonna give you something that you'll either love a lot or hate a lot.” :D Needless to say, I liked it. :)

Wow, that blue agate base is stunning!

Is it ever! And looks great with the color of the pen.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Does anyone have one of these red beauties?

fpn_1442608431__red_estie_deskpen.jpg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Oh, I wish I did! What is that nib? Maybe it's the photograph, but it seems larger than a standard Estie nib?

Sweet.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Does anyone have one of these red beauties?

fpn_1442608431__red_estie_deskpen.jpg

That's a very nice red bandless with a nice, of the period 8-Ball holder!

Here's a photo of my red bandless with a couple of it's friends. The copper has rust on the lever.

post-88273-0-74725900-1442609809_thumb.jpg

Wow, NobleDel, that's a nice pair! AAAndrew, it's 2668 nib that the resources say is a firm medium. It inked up just fine and is a nice writer.

I have four Estie desk pens and half of them seem like they were never used. Where do you think they were all these years???

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Speaking of bandless, I received this Dip-Less Universal a week or so ago, in a 407 base (without it's retainer) and since I haven't seen one displayed to date, I'll show it.

I got it mainly for the nib, but noticed that the pen has no section per se, other than a plug that the nib screws into. And the color goes all the way to form the grip.

post-242-0-31176100-1442648783_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-00708300-1442648801_thumb.jpg

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein