Desk Pen Edition Of Show Off Your Esterbrooks

NobleDel

Is the taper on the black pen with the red taper translucent or opaque? I have a translucent red tapered pen, but hadn't seen an opaque red taper. The good thing about all this is that there's always something new coming along.

I have only seen one other red Esterbrook taper that was opaque.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• ScienceChick

• NobleDel

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone have one of these?

Farmboy

Is that a Phaeton Desk Pen? Never seen one before. Did it come with an 8-ball base, or did it use a different style?

Edited by NobleDel

Anyone have one of these?

Farmboy

You dirty dog! That's fabulous!

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 weeks later...

Need to buy some appropriately green ink to correctly display my envy over that Phaeton desk pen. :puddle:

Anyway, this is an Estie desk pen with a 9550 nib, though it's not in an Esterbrook base -- the two were picked up separately, and the base needed a fair bit of restoration. I ended up re-printing the date cards on blotter stock, which turned out to be perfect for it. Tuesday and Wednesday are in red because those are my weekend days. That brass calendar was *not* shiny when I first got it.

13941425087_3698a6489d_z.jpg

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

Oooh! Nice restoration!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Thanks, I was really pleased with the way it cleaned up; I suspect the original pen in this was a Sheaffer, but I don't know for certain -- and I don't have a Sheaffer desk pen handy.

I should get a proper "eight-ball" some day anyway, though.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

Some of you haven't seen this one. Heck, I haven't seen it in a while either.

post-3036-1213471465_thumb.jpg

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

These are great collections Noble Del and Tom.

Although I am far away of being an Esterbrook collector (I only have two, and one of the two I found coincidentally...), I had to have one of those...

10380831614_a6476f7531_k.jpg10380836014_44f867c6f0_k.jpg10380863025_06e269e0f3_o.jpg10552536296_fa0608b268_o.jpg....now, I want more!

C.

Edited by christof

Farm Boy, what is that thing? When did they ever use such crazy plastic? Or is that a custom?

Christof

That's a beauty! Looks like the day it was taken out of the box.

Ok, I've got an 8-ball still in the box but no desk pen to go in it. I guess I'm going to have to find one.

Y'all are just doing you job, spreading the infection.

BTW, did Esterbrook ever make an icicle desk pen?

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Some of you haven't seen this one. Heck, I haven't seen it in a while either.

Very interesting!!! Can you tell us anything about this pen?

Edited by NobleDel

FarmBoy, I have never seen a tail like that on an Estie desk pen, that's beautiful!

Christof, I think you meant to say you're not an Esterbrook collector yet. They're like bodysnatcher pods. :D

In a recent thread I referred to the pen on the right as an "8-ball". My mistake, it's my first Esterbrook Desk Pen, and I don't know much about them yet. I was worried if it would dry out when not being used, as the lever filled pen seemed to sit pretty loosely in the holder, but as it turns out it's just fine. Smooth 2668 nib, De Atramentis Gaius Julius Caesar (gray) ink, and it works beautifully.

What I hadn't mentioned was that I also had the Dip-Less set on the left on its way. When I got it, the assembly with the plastic capillary rods had come apart and they were strewn all over the inside, but 10 or 15 minutes of work with tweezers fixed that. Filled it up with Noodler's Walnut and replaced the 9556 nib with a 1551 for now. Then I discovered one stray rod on the table top, but I put it away it a baggie for now. The pen seems to work just fine without it; maybe I'll put it back in when it's time to refill the inkwell.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt221/mapn/Pens/20150730_135327_zpsvrwkishr.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Hello ISW_Kaputnik. I think I've seen the desk fountain pen base (on the right) referred to as a deco base. Personally, I like the looks of this base better than the 8 ball base. It doesn't look so mid-century modern like the 8 ball.

• 1 month later...

Just acquired; the tulip (is that the right word?) has a very clear Esterbrook imprint. I have it on my desk at school and my students are utterly confused by it. :D

post-115055-0-62896000-1441226713_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScienceChick

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

It is nice to hear that the students of today are somewhat challenged by the futuristic looks of

yesteryear

Did I actually say that, yikes I must be in the sitcom "Back to the future"

Do enjoy your Esties

Tom

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

Students who know my pen proclivity look at it and either roll their eyes, saying "Another fountain pen" (insert teenaged underwhelmed voice) or say "Another fountain pen! May I?" while reaching for it. They know any pen out on my desk is available for their use but they generally ask if it's "new."

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

My students were so interested in fountain pens from seeing me use them that I bought a bunch of Preppys and sold them (at cost) to the students. I will refill them for free if they bring them to me.