Montblanc Ink Made By Another Company?

C-town

I've noticed recently that De Atrementis, Diamine, and some Montblanc special edition ink bottles share the same lid design. I'm now wondering if these inks are made by the same manufacturer.

Montblanc recently came out with an ink called 'blue hour' which, judging from online swabs, looks very similar to diamine twilight. Both have very similar names. Also, De Atramentis and Montblanc have inks called Mahatma Gandhi and look very similar.

Is it possible that these inks are made by the same manufacturer? Let me know your thoughts.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• amberleadavis

• C-town

• SirVival

I think that De Atramentis is a small company in Germany and they only produce their own inks. Much like Noodler's in the USA.

Diamine inks are made in the U.K.

I love Montblanc inks and most of the bottles I have say the ink was made in Austria.

I don't know for sure - Montblanc could certainly source their inks from different manufacturers and Diamine could be one of them for certain colors. So I'm speculating at best here.

Edited by BlazeOrangeGuy

With the hundreds of different shades of blue, blue-black, and black from so many manufacturers, it's inevitable that some of the inks are going to look similar. But those brands of inks have different characteristics that go beyond bottle style, caps, and color. I'd be very hesitant to lump all of these inks under one manufacturer.

Buzz

All that a similar lid design may indicate is the same source of bottle manufacturer. Which makes perfect sense concerning economies of scale.

It a common practice for companies to have other companies make their products.

I believe that ink bottles are made by the same manufacturers, but that does not necessarily mean the ink inside them is made by the same manufacturers

I wrote to Mont Blanc for the answer to "Does Mont Blanc make its own ink?"

Their answer:

Dear Mr. Barrieau,

Thank you for your patience.

While many of our products are made in Germany, where our headquarters is
located, we have expanded to meet the demand of our clients. In keeping
with the international laws we make sure to clearly mark the country of
origin. Several of our rollerball refills are now manufactured in Japan
but many of them are still made in Germany. Montblanc fountain pen ink is
formulated to be safe to use with all of our Montblanc writing
instruments. In addition to being specially calibrated to prevent
corrosion it is also designed to clean the inner working of your writing
instrument and prevent clogs. In order to protect our proprietary formula
our ink is only manufactured in Montblanc facilities.

I hope this information is of assistance to you. Should you have any
further questions, please feel free to e-mail or call our Concierge at
800-995-4810 and a Montblanc Ambassador will be happy assist you.

Sincerely,
Ray Carlos Lopez

MONTBLANC North America
Customer Service

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

Good answer! Although Mr. Lopez does not specifically say all their inks are made in, say, Germany.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

"Specially calibrated to prevent corrosion"

:lticaptd:

Sound like a PENnzoil commercial.... (had to say it :D )

Edited by Pira

Good answer! Although Mr. Lopez does not specifically say all their inks are made in, say, Germany.

Best of luck,

Actually, all their recent inks are made in Austria. Prior to that, they were made in Germany. This change occurred a couple of years ago when they changed the names, and presumably the formulas, of some of their inks.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• 3 months later...

I now believe it's very likely that many branded inks are made in one manufacturing facility.

What new information convinced you? (I agreed with you about the bottles being probably made by a few vendors).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I now believe it's very likely that many branded inks are made in one manufacturing facility.

Do we have evidence for this? It would be shocking if we had proof that all the European inks were made by the same manufacturer, but I still see very important subtle distinctions between even the most similar inks (Diamine and Ackerman, for example), so I'd need to be convinced...

Let us know if you uncover proof you can share. :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Saw a Montblanc CEO interview once and it was explained their manufacture strategy is not necessarily to pull everything into Germany, but go where the talent is. For examples their watches to Switzerland (acquired Minerva). Some leather goods to Italy etc. So wouldn't be surprised if they acquired some ink factory in Austria. .

Edited by max dog