Looking For Help On Resusitating Pilot Capless

gorse

Came upon this forum - joined - don't know where or which topic to post to but I was hoping to find information on early pilot capless pens - cartidges and identification . . . hopefully there is an image below I have bought IC-100 cartridges that don't seem to fit and would just like to use it . Cult pens offer a cartridge cover but I can't see that it would fit or help - are there other cartidges from Pilot.

Hope to hear from someone and thanks for reading - Paul H

post-123693-0-56456400-1435916074_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ehemem

• graystranger

• Oranges and Apples

• gorse

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like you posted in the right topic.

I do not know much about the earlier Pilot capless pens, but the Vanishing Point pens today all take only Pilot's proprietary cartridges or Pilot Con-20 or Con-50 converters. The cartridge cap is used to provide a firm metal cover over the plastic Pilot ink cartridges to allow the nib assembly to fit in the pen at the precise length for proper retraction and tight seal. It also prevents the actuation pressure from bearing on plastic, which is not as rigid as the stainless cartridge cap.

I use the cartridge caps on all my Vanishing Point pens to cover the cartridges. I do not know what IC-100 cartridges are, but I suspect that they are international style ink cartridges which will not work in Pilot pens that I know of.

I suggest you contact Pilot or their UK representative to get your question answered. I do know this: NEVER TRY TO FORCE AN INK CARTRIDGE OR CONVERTER INTO A PEN. Especially if you are not sure if it is the correct cartridge. Pilot cartridges do not neck down at the end but have a very wide opening, unlike any other cartridges or converters I've ever seen for any other pen.

Anyone familiar with older Pilot capless pens will probably be able to help you more than this. I want to know if Pilot has ever had a different ink cartridge design than the current design.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

You have an older model of the Pilot Capless or Pilot Vanishing Point.

Nothing currently manufactured fits the model you have in the picture.

Welcome to the forum, Paul. I suggest you repost on the Japan/Asia board, where you'll no doubt get plenty of information. My assumption is it's a "double spare" situation, but I'm guessing from a position of ignorance.

Yes, indeed, that early model of the Capless takes "double spare" carts, a short proprietary cart no longer in production. And the current convertors will not fit either. What you need is a CON-W. Just saw some for sale on the Bay of Evil earlier this morning from a Japanese seller for something like $16.00.

I do not know what IC-100 cartridges are, but I suspect that they are international style ink cartridges which will not work in Pilot pens that I know of.

IC-50 = Pilot proprietary cartridges that come in a 6 pack.

IC-100 = Pilot proprietary cartridges that come in a 12 pack.

Neither of which will, unfortunately, will fit the OP's older style Capless/Vanishing.

Edited by tinkerteacher

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

IC-50 = Pilot proprietary cartridges that come in a 6 pack.

IC-100 = Pilot proprietary cartridges that come in a 12 pack.

Neither of which will, unfortunately, will fit the OP's older style Capless/Vanishing.

Thanks, good to know.

Been so long since I bought Pilot cartridges I had forgotten what the product code is. The boxes have been long gone. I've been refilling the cartridges for years now, and the cartridge is so well made that you can re-use one for dozens of re-fills. I prefer to use bottled inks and have never found an ink that did not perform perfectly in any of my Pilot pens.

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation