Solutions Wanted - Waterman Emblem Pen Leaks!

Gloucesterman

Would really appreciate ideas, insights and suggestion to identify and resolve the following issue as inexpensively as possible. Here's is the story...

Last week I traded several modern pens for a beautiful Waterman Emblem (the model right after the Hundred Year pen early 40's). Great looking, smooth writing with a bit of flex to it. It was restored several years ago by a well respected nibmeister. To bring it home, I put it in a small vintage Waterman pen box and drove home - minimal moving or shaking.  When I took it out to show a neighbor  "bloop", a drop or two of ink falls out of the cap. I recap it, take it into my home and lay it horizontally on my desk. I figure it may have been shaken it up a little on the way home. Cleaned out the cap and there is a small amount of ink on the nib (creep), so I wipe that off too.

Now,when the pen is stored vertically - nib pointing up - just the barest of ink (condensation?) in the cap. Stored vertically with the nib pointing down a drop or two of ink in the cap after 1 hour or so. I changed the ink to Pilot Blue (not Iroshizuku) because I have used it before, it's pH neutral and I like the color. Same situation remains with the "leaking". Then, yesterday, I am writing a few lines and it burps. Bladder is almost full. It happens again after a longer period of writing (maybe a paragraph or two). It writes fine with no skipping or starting issues.

So, what's the problem here? I spoke with the person I traded with and he has had no such issues with the pen since he bought. (It's an indoor pen, only used by him in his office and never been an everyday carry pen. BTW, I totally trust this person!

I go to a repair & restore resource - “Da Book” to troubleshoot the problems and here is what it says about –

"Sources of Ink Drops on Paper or Build Up on Nib":

Air leak in system: ? - unknown, where, and why now suddenly

Check cap air holes: they are both (2) clear/fine

(Removal of cap causes slight suction: not that I can tell (not with two functional air holes)

Pen exposed to heat source – inc. body heat: N/A it happens when I leave upright in a pen holder

Poor nib/feed adjustment: ?

Pen has been subject to shaking or vibration: N/A as ink drains ink the cap even while stationary

Are the nib & feed cleaned of excess ink after filling? Problem continues after refilling (twice) and careful wiping

Air pressure change (flying or fast elevator): N/A

To large ink sac: This restorer doesn't make those mistakes and it never happened to previous owner

Pen nearly empty – may flow heavier: Plenty of ink when the pen was emptied and flushed (2x) for refilling

Defective nib feed: ?

High capacity feed: ?

This pen was used on a somewhat regular basis, so I am curious as to the source of the leak?

I have emptied (2x) it and found (plenty of ink in the pen) flushed and refilled the pen twice with different inks Waterman Blue and Pilot Blue.

Stored capped and nib up – no ink in the cap after and hour or two

Stored capped and nib down – several small drops of ink in the cap after and hour or two (doesn't seem to have much more with more time)

Changed ink to Waterman Blue and then Pilot blue ink.

So that's my story and I am open to any help from the knowledgeable members of the Waterman, or any other forum.

Thanks.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• Gloucesterman

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd start simple -- have the sac replaced. Might have developed a leak; it was several years ago that the sac was last replaced.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Thanks for the suggestion and that has not resolved the issue.

Any one else with some thoughts?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Thanks for the suggestion and that has not resolved the issue.

Any one else with some thoughts?

Another possibility is a crack somewhere in the section. Sometimes, there is a tight crack right at the base of the sac nipple, where the section widens for the tenon. You can test for a crack in a few ways, but it's easiest if the nib and feed are removed so the mouth of the section can be sealed and pressure can be applied to the bore.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe