Pelikan Flock Review - M215 M400 M605 M640 M805

Betweenthelines

A detailed overview.

Thank you.

You're welcome!

Excellent and enjoyable review. Seeing a picture of the blue striated m800 online was a large part of what drove me from interested in fountain pens to hooked. Such a beautiful pen, but your review confirms what I already knew - it will be a while before I get one. Thank you!

Thank you, and good luck on your path towards an m800. They are very special pens.

I really like your review even though I can`t get enthused about Pelikans myself.

I`ve even had the opportunity to try out the 800 and the 1000 - they left me cold, alas.

I do enjoy my half a century old green striped 400 with the broad semi-flexible stub, though & always considered getting a brown tortoise companion piece (I also prefer brown over green).

Doesn`t look like your Bayards are seeing much action nowadays - ah, the problem with too many pens :P

Thank you, and yeah, the modern pens don't have quite as much pizzazz as the vintage when it comes to the nibs. On that note, my vintage 400 brown tortoise sees a TON of action. It has been pretty much permanently inked since I had it tuned. The others, well, still see writing but not as much. Problem for the m640 is that I have this Parker 51 stub that blows the m640's stub out of the water - so it's hard to pick the m640 when I have that baby just itching to be used. The m215 is currently just "meh" and I should have it ground. The m605 is a little too broad and wet writing for me - not sure if I should do something about that. The m805 currently, and will continue to, see a lot of use.

You let a bird in and get 5 and complain? I just order a Pura, which i never have a chance to use it due to broken clip when arrived, and i got 15 in hand now. Those birds now how to breed fast.

The more i get, the more i lean over the old style/vintage nibs. The feeling from the modern one are not in the same class, especially the steel nibs. I have most of pens from M1xx, M2xx, M4xx to M8xx but i found that i keep coming back for my M200 Grey Marble old style with steel EF nib and the vintage 140 or 400 with 14c gold nibs. They have feedback, yes, but a pleasant one, a bit springy and just wet enough. Even the custom ground nib on my M605 could not compare to them.

The M805 is last addition to the flock but i found it is a little big for my small hand. I prefer to sign with it, or write some quick notes but too much for long writing session.

Hope you enjoy your flock and beware, they could bread anytime. I thought the M805 could cure me, until i see the Toledos. I keep staring at them now :(

I hear you on the vintage nibs, and the Pelikans' tendency to breed, and breed quickly! I think, however, I am satiated for now. One day I would love to handle an m1000 and see just how springy that nib is, but for now I am heading back into the Japanese market as their modern pens typically jive with me a lot more.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Betweenthelines

• benbot517

• MHBru

• Nylarev

I hear you on the vintage nibs, and the Pelikans' tendency to breed, and breed quickly! I think, however, I am satiated for now. One day I would love to handle an m1000 and see just how springy that nib is, but for now I am heading back into the Japanese market as their modern pens typically jive with me a lot more.

The reson i stop my flock before the final line of M100x is i quite disapointed with the nib. It is a massive nib, and last time i tried the M, which lay down a uber wet and broad line, which is even broader than the B from my M400. I tried another one, same M and same result (i would love to try an EF or F, but the store only carried M). Yes, it is a bit of spingy, but the feeling is like bouncy. I think it is because the nib is bigger and a bit thicker than what i used to. For me it is not suitable for long writing session but signature or some quick notes only, and i couldn't spend that much for that purpose only.

Just my 2 cents, if you want to get a M100x, make sure you try it first.

Edited by fly_us

• 3 weeks later...

The reson i stop my flock before the final line of M100x is i quite disapointed with the nib. It is a massive nib, and last time i tried the M, which lay down a uber wet and broad line, which is even broader than the B from my M400. I tried another one, same M and same result (i would love to try an EF or F, but the store only carried M). Yes, it is a bit of spingy, but the feeling is like bouncy. I think it is because the nib is bigger and a bit thicker than what i used to. For me it is not suitable for long writing session but signature or some quick notes only, and i couldn't spend that much for that purpose only.

Just my 2 cents, if you want to get a M100x, make sure you try it first.

Yeah - I kind of have an issue with how broad Pelikans write. It's a shame because every other aspect is perfect. I know a lot of folks like broader nibs, but the fact is my writing style and preferences lean towards finer nibs, at broadest a true western fine. Meanwhile, my EF Pelikan nibs write the same width as my Pilot Metro medium. Not exactly EF. I can see the appeal, though, if you like big smooth wet nibs.

I have noticed too that the Pelikan nibs are "thicker" in regards to the nibs - they use more metal for their nibs than, say Japanese nibs, which are thinner. I think this is why nibs from Pilot are springier than Pelikans. Anyhow - I am satiated on Pelikans for now, and have my eyes set on another Nakaya. ;)

Thanks for sharing your opinion and so nice detailed review

You're welcome!

• 1 month later...

Oh my what an awesome review of some epic pens! You kept me laughing and drooling the entire post hahaha! And those pics...well done.

My Pelikan journey started in a very similar place as you - an M215. Loved the sturdiness of the metal barrel and the amazingly smooth piston (was only my 2nd piston filler, after a Lamy 2000), though I was shocked that the medium wrote more like an extra fine. But the M215 was enough to hook me.

Within less than a year, my flock grew a LOT - I found some incredible deals on several M800s, M600s (one was a special edition M640 like yours, though the Mt. Everest model), a vintage 400 that's an AMAZING wet noodle flex, and even an M1000. A few of the nibs did need some adjustment to get the smoothness I wanted, while a few were perfect right out of the box.

For my hand and writing style, the M800 is the perfect pen. Part of me uses that fact to justify the 5 M800s I now have in my flock hahaha!

If you really enjoy large, oversized pens, my guess is you'll LOVE the M1000. Takes a while getting used to the wetness and overall size, but man is it just FUN to use.

One of the best reviews I've read of Pelikans - thank you for putting this together and sharing your perspectives.

• 1 year later...

thank you for the review.

A nearby store is selling a M605 with a 18 karat nib @ ~ 450-460 $

But here & in website, the M605 is shown with 14 karat nib.

is it a good bargain?

is 18 preferable to 14 karats?

Andy

Great reviews and I totally agree. Although my modest collection is not as vast as some of the others here I dearly love my 800s and enjoy writing with them daily.

Great reviews and I totally agree. Although my modest collection is not as vast as some of the others here I dearly love my 800s and enjoy writing with them daily.

• 2 weeks later...

great reviews, i just bought a m800 in green and a m205 in white.

i guess it was a mistake to buy them at the same time; even though the m205 is a great pen with a nice nib i can't get myself to use it more often since the m800 won't let me...

I would compare the m205 to my TWSBI 580 (both medium nib) the m205 puts the same line thicknes down as the 580. while the looks & quallity on the m205 are a bit better (imo) than the 580, the TWSBI with it's bigger size and weight feels more comfortable for me to write with.

both m205 and 580 perform equally good.

the m800 (medium nib) does put a thick and wet line on paper and i like that. it was skipping a lot out of the box but bending the tines SLIGHTLY open fixed that (even though i was dying inside to bend/play around with an expensive nib like that). the pelikan Souveraen M800 is the most expensive pen i own and so far it is the best pen of my small collection.

i don't have any other pen that i could compare to the m800 and i doubt i'll find one ( or can afford one :D )

• 1 year later...

Hi! I am new to FPN and use of fountain pens. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they own a Pelikan in white if there was a staining issue? Like review bloggers say it can be prone to staining but is there a ink to pen sweet spot combo so I do not make a terrible buy.

I am thinking of buying a Pelikan M605 white transparent.

Waiting for Toronto Hubmaster to post for Pelikan hub 2018 details so I can meet other users.

Thanks!

-Vera

Edited by Nylarev

I have the Pelikan 605 in white and also the M400 in White Tortoise. I am careful to wipe any ink off of the white sections very carefully and have not had any problem. I wonder if a coat of carnuba wax would help or make the problem worse? However much I like the M605 white/white it was not as attractive in person as in the photos --- I wish it was more ivory on color. The M600 white and blue is a stunner-- do take a look at it, probably my favorite pen for looks!

Hi! I am new to FPN and use of fountain pens. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they own a Pelikan in white if there was a staining issue? Like review bloggers say it can be prone to staining but is there a ink to pen sweet spot combo so I do not make a terrible buy.

I am thinking of buying a Pelikan M605 white transparent.

Waiting for Toronto Hubmaster to post for Pelikan hub 2018 details so I can meet other users.

Thanks!

-Vera

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Ok thanks! I am hoping to meet someone who owns this pen. Do you use any brand of ink or colour?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Have a great day!