mehandiratta

This is my second review of the ink from the another popular brand in India, CAMLIN KOKUYO whose presence is pan India.

Camlin used to manufacture 4 colors of ink in India under brand name CAMEL as follows:

1. Scarlet Red
  2. Royal Blue
  3. Green
  4. Permanent Black

But lately they have stopped manufacturing the Green and there is a rumor in the market that Scarlet Red might also go of the shelves.

This CAMEL Scarlet Red ink , which I will be reviewing today was procured from local market in Delhi for meagre Rs. 15 for 60 ml glass bottle.

img_20150626_083817.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red

It is a dye based ink and it has turned out to be one of my all time favorite inks. Its bright shocking red ink. Love it.

Camel inks or Camlin inks are currently the most used inks in India because of their pan India presence.

INK SPLASH

img_20150626_084152.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Ink Splash on Bilt Matrix – 70 gsm

img_20150626_085804.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Ink Splash on JK Executive Bond Paper – 100 gsm

DROP ON PAPER NAPKIN

img_20150626_084607.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Ink Drop on Paper Napkin

COLOR MATCH

color-pick.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Color Match

WRITING SAMPLES

img_20150626_085510.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Writing Sample on Bilt Matrix (70 gsm) using 3 pens of varying nibs widths

img_20150626_085552.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Writing Sample on JK Bond Paper (100 gsm) using 3 pens of varying nibs widths

img_20150626_090029.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Writing Sample on Camlin School Notebook using 3 pens of varying nibs widths

The writing makes it clear that this ink offers no or very little shading. But still i love the brightness of this ink, the red brightness it has to offer. So in to your eyes.

The ink does not feather at all even on the normal school notebooks and is a very well behaved ink.

INK SWABS

img_20150626_085136.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Ink Swab Sample on Bilt Matrix (70gsm) – 3 swabs, 2 swabs and 1 swab from Left to Right

img_20150626_085619.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Ink Swab Sample on JK Bond Paper (100 gsm) – 3 swabs, 2 swabs and 1 swab from Left to Right

img_20150626_090039.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Ink Swab Sample on Camlin School Notebook – 3 swabs, 2 swabs and 1 swab from Left to Right

WATERPROOF TEST

img_20150626_095353.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Waterproof test

Its not waterproof at all. Just one run of tap water and all gets washed away.

BLOW UP WRITING SAMPLE

img_20150626_085706.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Writing sample close up on JK Bond paper (100 gsm)

img_20150626_085523.jpg?w=768

Camlin Scarlet Red – Writing sample close up Bilt Matrix (70 gsm)

CONCLUSION:

I like the shade of Red thats offered by Camlin.

This ink is nice wet ink and has a normal dry up time. It does not clog up the pen even if kept in the pen for a week or two.

One more thing is that doesn’t stain the Pen if you are using any demonstrator. Moreover i find it better than other inexpensive red inks in India and some international inks.

Must buy if you are in India and love the Red Color Ink.

For further details and entries, please visit my blog LINK

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• jmccarty3

• visvamitra

• lgsoltek

Stunning presentation of nice ink. I had a sample of this ink and I think for the price it offers a lot. The color is nice and saturated and the behavior nice.

Keep on doing great reviews!

thank u.... u r the inspiration....

vaibhav mehandiratta

Thanks for the review. In addition, they also used to make a permanent Violet FP ink which was quite waterproof. This was discontinued in 2010 IIRC.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks for the review. In addition, they also used to make a permanent Violet FP ink which was quite waterproof. This was discontinued in 2010 IIRC.

Good to know that... But sadly these manufacturers are running out of steam

vaibhav mehandiratta

This is a beautiful red that tends a little toward the orange side rather than pink, i.e., just the way I like it. Great review!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

This is a beautiful red that tends a little toward the orange side rather than pink, i.e., just the way I like it. Great review!

Thanks...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Hi Vaibhav,

Great review!!!

Will certainly get some Camlin Ink when I am in India this time. The name itself reminded me of my school days when we used Camlin pens, inks, geometry set etc.

This is a pretty red. I'm not expecting red inks to be waterproof or even water-resistant, and that doesn't stop me from using red occasionally.

I usually have one red in rotation (currently J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite, courtesy of Lou, in a Platinum Preppy).

This Camlin could be a contender for the red slot.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Hi Vaibhav,

Great review!!!

Will certainly get some Camlin Ink when I am in India this time. The name itself reminded me of my school days when we used Camlin pens, inks, geometry set etc.

Thank you... Iam glad you liked it

vaibhav mehandiratta

This is a pretty red. I'm not expecting red inks to be waterproof or even water-resistant, and that doesn't stop me from using red occasionally.

I usually have one red in rotation (currently J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite, courtesy of Lou, in a Platinum Preppy).

This Camlin could be a contender for the red slot.

This is comparable to Rohrer and klingner fernambuk and is even 1/25th the price of Rohrer and klingner...

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 2 weeks later...

At a little over $3 per 2 oz bottle, including shipping, I'd say this calls for a group buy.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Actually you can contact ASA pens also... if they are willing to sell these as a group buy....

vaibhav mehandiratta

I found Scarlet red as a good mixing ink. if 5ml is mixed with 25 ml of Parker Quink Black, it gives a nice Red black!.

pbhat

• 2 years later...

Has a decided orangish hue, but isn't too in-your-face like some reds can be.

However, the bottle itself was a major nightmare for me. The metal band wouldn't break, and I almost couldn't get the lid off at all. Then the ink started leaking on top of it all, getting everywhere, even though the cap wouldn't come off! My husband finally broke out some needle-nose pliers and forced the band to break. And then the cap was completely ruined. It would not fit back on to the bottle, no matter what I did.

I ended up putting the ink in an empty Pilot Iroshizuku bottle I fortunately had laying around, but I had intended that bottle for my Cartier Bordeaux, because Cartier's bottles have an exceedingly narrow mouth that is impossible for using to get ink directly from it outside of using a syringe.

Now I'll have to acquire a new empty bottle for the Cartier ink, which isn't a huge deal, but not a hassle I wanted to go through again.

Has a decided orangish hue, but isn't too in-your-face like some reds can be.

However, the bottle itself was a major nightmare for me. The metal band wouldn't break, and I almost couldn't get the lid off at all. Then the ink started leaking on top of it all, getting everywhere, even though the cap wouldn't come off! My husband finally broke out some needle-nose pliers and forced the band to break. And then the cap was completely ruined. It would not fit back on to the bottle, no matter what I did.

I ended up putting the ink in an empty Pilot Iroshizuku bottle I fortunately had laying around, but I had intended that bottle for my Cartier Bordeaux, because Cartier's bottles have an exceedingly narrow mouth that is impossible for using to get ink directly from it outside of using a syringe.

Now I'll have to acquire a new empty bottle for the Cartier ink, which isn't a huge deal, but not a hassle I wanted to go through again.

what can you expect from Rs. 20 (US$ 0.3) - 60ml Glass Ink bottle

vaibhav mehandiratta

A beautiful red and exactly what I think of when I think scarlet, unlike that other <cough> Diamine <cough> one.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.