Parker Jotter Ballpoint Help!

Rufus T. Firefly

Hello everybody, I am a new user from Italy! :)

I arrived on this website just "googling" around, and by reading the topics I found some very interesting informations and expert people.

But unfortunately, I couldn't find the answer to my problem...

I have an old (but not very, I bought it around 15 years ago) Parker Jotter Ballpoint pen (made in UK), which I used during all my middle and high school, so you can imagine how much I am attached to her. After some years that I completely forgot about the pen, yesterday I found it in a drawer... what a joy!

The problem is that inside the pen the refill spilled a lot of ink and everything was stuck and dirty. I threw the broken refill away and I cleaned everything with water, soap, alcohol and a lot of patience. Now it's quite clean, but the problem is that the "clicky" mechanism isn't working anymore!

It's not stuck, it actually is quite fluid, the problem is that the refill never gets "blocked" in position, if you know what I mean. If I click the button, the point just comes out from the barrel, and then goes back as soon as I stop pushing, it never "clicks".

I tried everything, but the thing just doesn't work. Sometimes something strange happens, and everything gets stuck, making terribile noises of metal parts rubbing one against each other and metal springs being compressed, but I never hear the "click", not one single time!

I tried looking for instructions on how to disassemble the mechanism of the pen, but I couldn't find anything.

Could you gie me some help?

Thank you very much!! :lol:

I attach a couple of pictures:

DSCN1529.JPG

DSCN1531.JPG

DSCN1533.JPG

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pvector

• mitto

• Rufus T. Firefly

• The Blue Knight

Top Posters In This Topic

My only suggestions are to try and clean to a greater extent. or just swap a new cap onto it you can find pens on ebay for a few pounds.

The problem is the inner cap is near impossible to remove from the cap.

There should be oily ink inside the mechanism. It should rotate 90 degrees every time you press the button, but if it got stuck the rotation can't be completed. Try cleaning the cap inside a little more, try WD-40, or finally get a new cap.

I have got a couple spare jotter caps but shipping from Pakistan to Italy would cost more than the value of the pen itself.

Khan M. Ilyas

Hi,

thanks to everybody for the quick responses!

I bought theese: http://www.ebay.it/itm/271078739279?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They are extremely cheap, because they have an awful Intel logo on the barre..., but I don't care as I will only use the cap as a replacement!

(If you are interested, look in the "other items on sale" of the seller, he also sells lots of 12x pieces, and single ones for very low prices!).

While I wait for them to arrive, I would like to try a little more to repair mine.

My only suggestions are to try and clean to a greater extent. or just swap a new cap onto it you can find pens on ebay for a few pounds.

The problem is the inner cap is near impossible to remove from the cap.

Hmm... "near impossible"? Sounds good! :D Do you know if there is any way I could try to disassemble the cap? Like pressing with a screwdriver somewhere... I am trying to figure out how it's assembled, but I can't!

It's ok even if it is a "dangerous" operation, as I already ordered spare parts.

I have got a couple spare jotter caps but shipping from Pakistan to Italy would cost more than the value of the pen itself.

Thank you for the offer. :)

Check the spring in the barrel also.

The spring in the barrel is fine, I am quite sure the problem is in the cap mechanism, unfortunately.

Hi,

thanks to everybody for the quick responses!

I bought theese: http://www.ebay.it/itm/271078739279?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They are extremely cheap, because they have an awful Intel logo on the barre..., but I don't care as I will only use the cap as a replacement!

(If you are interested, look in the "other items on sale" of the seller, he also sells lots of 12x pieces, and single ones for very low prices!).

While I wait for them to arrive, I would like to try a little more to repair mine.

Hmm... "near impossible"? Sounds good! :D Do you know if there is any way I could try to disassemble the cap? Like pressing with a screwdriver somewhere... I am trying to figure out how it's assembled, but I can't!

It's ok even if it is a "dangerous"

------------------------------------

The clip is press tight and not threaded. I think once you remove the clip - say with mild heating - disassembling would be easy.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• 1 month later...

your pen is fine. let it soak in rubbing alcohol and the ink will come right out. a few soaks and everything will be clean. rinse other a tap and you will see. dont take it apart

I am not sure about alcohol removing all the old ink. I had an Esterbrook ballpoint that had frozen solid with dried ink. The cap could not be removed. It took almost 5 weeks of continuous soaking in naphtha (white gas) to free it up and clean out all the old ink. It works fine now, but refills are unavailable.

Regards

Jeff

I am not sure about alcohol removing all the old ink. I had an Esterbrook ballpoint that had frozen solid with dried ink. The cap could not be removed. It took almost 5 weeks of continuous soaking in naphtha (white gas) to free it up and clean out all the old ink. It works fine now, but refills are unavailable.

I used 90% rubbing alcohol for the quink refill removal in this jotter. Id be a bit concerned with naphtha because of the hydrocarbon content. more worried about it leaving residues.