Purple/violet Fountain Pens?

FinalEleven

Beautiful

Sadly the Purple Web Celluloid material is no longer available (or at least wasn't after my pen was built by Edison) from the Amerian Art Plastics Co. :(

This plastic was apparently hand made & cured, in small batches. Besides its lustrous purple-claret colour, it still has that wonderful fragrance of camphor when I uncap the pen.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FinalEleven

• VivienR

• tinta

• Bklyn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a purple Nakaya long cigar...

Oh my. Sounds lovely

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Purple is my favorite color as well, but most of my pens are black, white, or clear. My only two that aren't are a Pelikan M200 Cafe Creme and a Lamy Al-Star in purple. The Al-Star is such a nice color, also Pelikan is coming out with an M205 in a clear purple as a limited edition to go with their ink of the year http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US.FWI.displayShop.206090./classic-205-amethyst

And let's not forget one of the most beautiful purple pen ever created (my point of view): Montblanc Princesse Grace De Monaco. I truly love that pen. Its amazingly beautiful, yet remain elegant. The only drawback its price. It has a perfect flow, If I could have only one pen, that would be.

I have a Sailor Sapporo Blackcurrant. Its a nice little pen, writes well, but well, there are some issues with the Sailor cartridges, its really lightweight compare to Princesse Grace.

Vivien, what issues do you have with Sailor cartridges?

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

Vivien, what issues do you have with Sailor cartridges?

Sailor cartridges doesn't have a little ball inside them to break surface tension, and the ink like to stuck in the wall of the cartridge, this can be problematic when ink level drop to around 40 percent or less in the cartridge, resulting some problem when I want to write, but actually there is no ink near the feed or nib. Just filled one cartridge with Caran d'Ache Carbon, curious about how the two can behave. Currently I have nice steady flow. Parker cartridges doesn't have that too, but never experienced any problem with those in any ink combination I filled.

It's rather on the cheap side, but one of the Pilot Urban Pens is violet (the right one in my avatar :) ).

I saw them, they are looking very nice. Despite I really like Parker and the look of an Urban pen, what's really annoying me is that the sections of the Urban series get scratchy really fast. I mean I used one of my Urban for a month and well looked like meh.. using even more frequently one of my Sonnet and its doesn't have any scratches on the section. But in the other hand, some Sonnet like to dry out really fast, while this is not an issue with an Urban.

I saw them, they are looking very nice. Despite I really like Parker and the look of an Urban pen, what's really annoying me is that the sections of the Urban series get scratchy really fast. I mean I used one of my Urban for a month and well looked like meh.. using even more frequently one of my Sonnet and its doesn't have any scratches on the section. But in the other hand, some Sonnet like to dry out really fast, while this is not an issue with an Urban.

I could be wrong but isn't the pen in Bartimaeus' avatar a Pilot MR/ Metropolitan, not a Parker?

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

Hm,...Vivien, what you describe has also happened to me with my Sailor carts.

Although many folk here do not advocate the squeezing of cartridges, Sailor in fact recommends that you squeeze their cartridges. I believe this instruction is on the pamphlet that comes with the pens.

When I plug in the Sailor cart, I point the pen to the ceiling & squeeze a few times till the ink starts to show in the feed's combs. Then, I let this ink drain back into the pen.

At times the cartridge may need an additional squeeze when it's half empty.

I've had no ink hanging up inside either the blue/black or the Kiwa-Guro black cartridges using this squeezing method. The downside may be that squeezing the cartridges may make them less reliable, if you wish to refill them later.

Mind you, I never refill carts,..they are only used for travel.

As a matter of course I install one of the little glass/plastic balls that are found in the international carts into all my international converters. This works very well.

I've also tried to put the same little ball into the Sailor converters, but it did not seem to fit very well.

I suppose you could try inserting a small glass bead into your Sailor cartridge once the nipple has pierced the cartridge's seal. The cart has to be pulled out of the pen, the bead inserted, then the cartridge plugged back in the pen again.

May turn out to be a messy affair.

To the OP:

:blush: I did not mean to derail this long & fascinating thread.

Just wanted to help a fellow FPN member using a Sailor Sapporo Black Currant.

You could get a Demonstrator and fill it with purple ink. Then it's a purple pen. I see you have the TWSBI already.

There's a 'wine' coloured Sheaffer Sagaris

Omas Arte Italiana in Aubergine (that's fancy purple, right?)

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes."

I could be wrong but isn't the pen in Bartimaeus' avatar a Pilot MR/ Metropolitan, not a Parker?

Yes, it's the Pilot *Metropolitan*. Sorry, I mixed up Metropolitan and Urban.

Sure, there is no Parker Urban in the avatar. Still, my thoughts about it hold.

Hm,...Vivien, what you describe has also happened to me with my Sailor carts.

Although many folk here do not advocate the squeezing of cartridges, Sailor in fact recommends that you squeeze their cartridges. I believe this instruction is on the pamphlet that comes with the pens.

When I plug in the Sailor cart, I point the pen to the ceiling & squeeze a few times till the ink starts to show in the feed's combs. Then, I let this ink drain back into the pen.

At times the cartridge may need an additional squeeze when it's half empty.

I've had no ink hanging up inside either the blue/black or the Kiwa-Guro black cartridges using this squeezing method. The downside may be that squeezing the cartridges may make them less reliable, if you wish to refill them later.

Mind you, I never refill carts,..they are only used for travel.

As a matter of course I install one of the little glass/plastic balls that are found in the international carts into all my international converters. This works very well.

I've also tried to put the same little ball into the Sailor converters, but it did not seem to fit very well.

I suppose you could try inserting a small glass bead into your Sailor cartridge once the nipple has pierced the cartridge's seal. The cart has to be pulled out of the pen, the bead inserted, then the cartridge plugged back in the pen again.

May turn out to be a messy affair.

To the OP:

:blush: I did not mean to derail this long & fascinating thread.

Just wanted to help a fellow FPN member using a Sailor Sapporo Black Currant.

Sure, I could do, but it would require me to more regularly open the pen. I could put a small ball form Pelikan cartridge to a Sailor one. Or just enjoy my pen with different ink. Will see. CdA Carbon is really good black.

I very recently just acquired an Omas Ogiva Alba in Violet! Looks amazing!

http://puu.sh/jrcUi/c7e6c9528d.jpg

Actually, my purple pen collection has grown just a little bit since I made this topic. I now have a Limited Edition Pilot Custom 74 (it's a very dark purple pen with sparkles and gold furniture), a Tropical Purple Vanishing Point (which I have dropped a couple of times so it's pretty dinged and scratched up) and though not fountain pen related (yet), A stonewashed Karas Kustoms Render K in Black and Purple.

Now to figure out the next purple pen on my list to get. I already have the Pelikan M205 Amethyst on preorder from PenChalet

Those who hurt me were not only someone else,

but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

You could get a Demonstrator and fill it with purple ink. Then it's a purple pen. I see you have the TWSBI already.

There's a 'wine' coloured Sheaffer Sagaris

Omas Arte Italiana in Aubergine (that's fancy purple, right?)

Yeah, I've done that. The purples I use are dark in color so it doesnt really show through very well. I'm just looking for a nice purple body on a pen.

I'll look into the Omas Arte Italiana in Aubergine...though not right now as I'm still recovering from my Omas Ogiva Alba purchase.

Those who hurt me were not only someone else,

but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

Kullock has a purple/violet barrel and section for Parker 45, they are often on eBay (seller penpartsstore)

Brian

I bought one of these conversions. I love it so much I just keep it unused.

Then there is the Plum Parker 51. Pricey and a topic of threads. Not rare, just not very common.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.