J Herbin 1670 Anniversary Emerald Of Chivor Ink

bureaudirect

So when everyone does get this ink in, which pen(s) will you fill it with? I'm curious to find out which pens will highlight this ink the best.

I have it in two Lamys (so not catastrophic if it ends up being problematic). One has a 1.1, the other a 1.5. On a smoother paper, I've gotten a nice tri-color effect with the 1.1.

Honestly, until I saw the water test between the two earlier I this thread, I've not gotten a result that wowed me any more than my beloved Yama-Dori. I'll enjoy it immensely (probably for a very long time) but not feel compelled to hoard.

ETA I left both pens at home for a five-day weekend. Picked up the 1.1 this morning and it started right up. No clogging. (A big problem for me with Stormy Grey, after sometimes only hours.) Was shocked by that. Will have to try the 1.5 when I return home tonight.

Edited by FountainPenCowgirl

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mishka5050

• attika89

• Dhruv_Sood

• DerTiefster

Same here-got it in couple of pens and they don't get any hard starts or clogging. Very wet ink. Someone mentioned Rouge Hematite-that one would occasionally clog my twsbi 580rb, but I'd just dip it in the cup of water, prime the feed again and it was good to go :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK. I bought a bottle of this ink through a FPN member. It is outstanding. The problem is that I never know what is coming out of the nib. Sometimes it is mostly a dark blue-green with red highlights. Sometimes it is half-and-half. Today it was (same pen, same load of ink) absolutely dominated by gold. It is in my limited experience, insanely variable and I have no understanding how to control it. But it's heavenly.

I was introduced to the 1670 inks by a bottle of Rouge Hematite gifted by one of my sons. I purchased the Ocean Bleu and Stormy Gray and love both (later, sparkly revision of the bleu). Then came the Emerald of Chivor. I've used it on printer paper, Rhodia notepad paper, and (thanks, Jay) Tomoe River paper. Lovely stuff all around.

By the way, it's presently loaded on Parker 75s in my hand. The Stormy Gray with a fine italic French #98 nib, the Emerald with a French broad Italic #95 nib. Both are wet writers, glassy smooth, and lovely. Thanks to battersea (penhome.co.uk) for having the nibs available. Lovely things.

Wow.

Michael

Edited by DerTiefster

OK. I bought a bottle of this ink through a FPN member. It is outstanding. The problem is that I never know what is coming out of the nib. Sometimes it is mostly a dark blue-green with red highlights. Sometimes it is half-and-half. Today it was (same pen, same load of ink) absolutely dominated by gold. It is in my limited experience, insanely variable and I have no understanding how to control it. But it's heavenly.

Thank you Michael for sharing, it was lovely reading your story :)

I have noticed that turning pen in hand before you start writing helps to distribute the gold. You are spot on-Chivor is so wet and gold ;) Do you also stop during writing to admire it? :D

I have (and had) been turning the pens, as you suggested. The gold-laden script came from the pen after lying on its side for some minutes, rather than being upright in my pocket. I try to shake the ink bottle well before loading the ink, but this material settles out visibly in not many seconds of quiet time. I've been enjoying all of the 1670 inks.

I got my bottle and was scared by a warning on the box - it says the ink is highly concentrated and may stain the pen and nib. Have anybody had a problem with this ink stain a pen?

My bottle arrived today. Although the gold can be seen as per ravantra's pics at #87 above, I don't find it's too 'blingy' on the page and I would have thought the ink could therefore be used for most everyday purposes, although perhaps not for weighty work-related documents. I'm using a demonstrator and you can easily see how the gold settles in the dependent part of the barrel after only a few minutes of being laid down, as also noted and shown by others. Quite apart from the gold and the sheen(s) I also think it's a lovely shade of green in its own right. No clogging or skipping problems (Pelikan steel B nib) so far.

All in all a v. satisfied customer and this will certainly figure near the top of my ink rotation for some time to come.

OK. I bought a bottle of this ink through a FPN member. It is outstanding. The problem is that I never know what is coming out of the nib. ... I have no understanding how to control it.

Just wanted to post an update, simple though it be. I have learned that with my 75s loaded with the 1670 inks, if I orient them nib-down after stirring the ink up, and let them stay that way for minutes, soon the gold flecks will dominate the ink flow. I have as yet found no clogging behavior, but that's likely to be variable with different feeds. However, I am starting to understand how to control the ink.

Odd, that... the heavy bits fall out first. Will wonders never cease? It should have been obvious, of course, but I've developed a habit of not holding the pen nib-down.

Michael

Just wanted to post an update, simple though it be. I have learned that with my 75s loaded with the 1670 inks, if I orient them nib-down after stirring the ink up, and let them stay that way for minutes, soon the gold flecks will dominate the ink flow. I have as yet found no clogging behavior, but that's likely to be variable with different feeds. However, I am starting to understand how to control the ink.

Odd, that... the heavy bits fall out first. Will wonders never cease? It should have been obvious, of course, but I've developed a habit of not holding the pen nib-down.

Michael

yes, after one night laying in its side, all the "sheen" elements were pooled along the bottom side of the converter. Simply tipping the pen up was not enough to redistribute the materials: I had to take the converter out, cap the end with my finger, and shake it vigorously. This put the elements back into suspension and the sheen and fleckage began to come back out the nib again. And yes, this ink has been gushing, not clogging.

While I think the gold flakes are novel and look great, I find myself not using my EOC inked pen very often because I don't want to 'waste' the ink for the menial writing I regularly use my pens for.

So forgive the heretical question, but is there a similar ink without the gold?

How about this as a solution? Just don't shake up the sparkly bits when you load your pen. Certainly that's a "with consequences" action over the long term, but there won't be much effect until you run through more than 10% of a bottle. Or so it seems to me....

But I think that were you to compute how much each page costs you in ink, you might find it not terribly scary.

I went back to some old notes I made using iroshizuku syo-ro and added a few lines with EOC. The colors are actually very similar, with EOC being a little darker and a little greener. EOC feathered more than syo-ro, which probably means EOC is a wetter ink (which makes sense with the gold dust).

Notes were on cheap notebook paper using an M800 F nib. Syo-ro seems to match the green stripes of the M800 barrel.

While I think the gold flakes are novel and look great, I find myself not using my EOC inked pen very often because I don't want to 'waste' the ink for the menial writing I regularly use my pens for.

So forgive the heretical question, but is there a similar ink without the gold?

Private Reserve Blue Suede is pretty close. Even has similar red sheen!

Check out my new blog, thepenhaul.com

I just put it in a Kaweco Sport Demo ED. It's amazing. The pen has a soaking wet BB nib, and it's absurd fun to write with, on paper that sheens and doesn't. The color is great, and the extra properties just make it better. I'm super in love.

"Oh deer."

• 3 months later...

I got my bottle and was scared by a warning on the box - it says the ink is highly concentrated and may stain the pen and nib. Have anybody had a problem with this ink stain a pen?

I have used it, and it did not stain my pen. I love this ink.