J Herbin 1670 Anniversary Emerald Of Chivor Ink

bureaudirect

I make my own purple all the time by mixing RH with various blues. check out some pictures here -

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/225012-venous-eggplant/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/222987-deep-purple-shimmer/

not that I'm saying I wouldn't WANT a purple 1670. :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mishka5050

• attika89

• Dhruv_Sood

• DerTiefster

So when everyone does get this ink in, which pen(s) will you fill it with? I'm curious to find out which pens will highlight this ink the best.

So when everyone does get this ink in, which pen(s) will you fill it with?

Lol, good question ;)

Got mine in Twsbi 580G 1.1mm and it's perfect!

My 2 bottles are on their way!

Woop woop :)

I didn't preorder but just ordered a bottle from bureau direct. I probably will play with the bottle more that use the ink (I love my carbon black) but I just had to buy it.

Caretaker for a bevy of Swans.

So when everyone does get this ink in, which pen(s) will you fill it with? I'm curious to find out which pens will highlight this ink the best.

I will be using a recently acquired Esterbrook Icicle in green with a beautifully smooth and wet "Esterbrook Broad" nib. It will be my emerald machine!.

fpn_1438174861__image.jpg

I may also have to get another Eco with a 1.1 nib and use that too.

And then I was on the Massdrop that recently completed which will deliver every color of these inks that I don't have. (all I have is Stormy Gray) I think I'm going to need some more broad pens! :D

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I am getting one bottle of each color.

But I use F or EF nibs. So no such sheen or sparkle for me?

You don't necessarily need to give up on the sheen. Sparkles should be there, but sheen really depends on the paper you are using.

Thank you for the heads up. :)

I guess there will be some sheen on normal paper I use, since I ger sheen on that from other inks.

But isn't huge about of sheen as shown in the review dependent on the type of nib used?

Thank you for the heads up. :)

I guess there will be some sheen on normal paper I use, since I ger sheen on that from other inks.

But isn't huge about of sheen as shown in the review dependent on the type of nib used?

Of course! Nibs do matter just as much, but if the paper isn't good, no nib could save the situation :)

I should really starting QCing what I write. That last line made no sense whatsoever.

Thanks again. Now I need some Tomoe river paper. :)

With my very limited, newbie experience, I definitely agree about the paper and broad nib.

I've never used a broad nib or Tomoe River, but now may be my time to try one or both.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to threads like this about the 1670 inks, I've just ordered the three I could get in samples from Goulet. Once they arrive, I think they will go in either my TWSBI Mini Classic with the 1.1 nib or my Osmiroid with the bold Italic. Don't have any truly great paper though...hmmm. This ink might push me over the edge on that 1.5 mm nib too; I've been looking for a reason to get it and I think I just found it.

• 3 weeks later...

See, the thing about self-imposed exile from FPN for a few months (study got total priority above sanity aka ink obsessions) is that one can miss out completely, in a universal world-wide way, on a truly remarkable ink. Sigh. But oh how gorgeous. Makes me very happy just looking at all the pictures of this ink's sheen AND shimmer. The balance of contrasts, including ink colour, is quite superb. It's like a carnival in a bottle. Or an illusionists surprise.

Lucky I found a seller someplace who had a few sample vials left, so they will snail mail their way to me in about 3 weeks with international postage costing far more than the ink. In the meantime, does anyone know of FPN suppliers who still have bottles in stock? No? Really? So what's the black market rate? Hmmm?

You've all had it long enough now to find out whether there is any issue with crystallisation buildup like Rouge - is there any? Thanks.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

You can order it from France (Hieroglyphes.fr - heavy postage), or wait for a week or two and Lacouronneducomte in Netherlands will have it in stock.

You can order it from France (Hieroglyphes.fr - heavy postage), or wait for a week or two and Lacouronneducomte in Netherlands will have it in stock.

Thank you :)

Edit: there's high cost postage and... gold-plated freight from France? That's a new record high for freight costs to the land downunder. Whee. Might check out the Netherlands in a few weeks as suggested ;).

Edited by Intellidepth

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

I've been playing with my sample from the Goulets in my TWSBI 580 F. It looks gorgeous, but sometimes I get clogs, which have never happened with other inks in that pen. They clear up after I dip the nib in water, so it's not a huge issue, but I'm a bit disappointed. I would have liked to feel I could use the ink outside the house, and it's just not reliable enough.

I've been using it in an Esterbrook with a 1555 Gregg nib. I left it alone all weekend and it started right up this morning. No problems with clogging or hard starting. It's a very wet ink, so with this nib (which was re-ground to be an oblique stub by some former owner) it comes out very wet and dark on most paper.

A lot of what you're going to get from it depends on the paper. I haven't had any problems in my Esterbrook. For what that's worth.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

AAAndrew, the weird thing is that the clogging doesn't seem to be related to letting the pen sit or anything. The most recent incident occurred after I picked the pen up after it sat overnight. It was great for a paragraph and then bam! No ink. I've been using it on Tomoe River paper, so I don't think the paper is at fault.

It is indeed a wet ink. I love that about it. I love wet inks. My TWSBI has never written so smoothly as it does with this in it (when it flows).

Ergative: I hope you get it working again. I wonder if a good, long soak might help. There might be a small obstruction that is fine with pure liquid ink, but will clog up with this more saturated and sparkly ink.

Meanwhile, I've been quite surprised at how well this ink works on the inexpensive (relatively) Black n. Red notebook paper. The photo doesn't do justice to the sheen and sparkle, but you can get a hint of an idea. And the red is much more subtle.

So, you don't need Tomoe River to get some of the fun, though it does crank it up a notch.

fpn_1441725091__image.jpg

-Montaigne