New Tools For Modern Mb 146 And 149

Maxpens

New tools for dismounting the nib section of modern 146 and 149 pens.

These professional tools are very helpfully if you like to clean your 146 or 149 pen. Easy to use and no risk to damage the alignment of the nib - feed adjustment. The tool is made from stainless steel, the handle form Hard-rubber.

Simply unscrew the nib section and you can fill the barrel with water to clean the pen. If the piston does not work proper it is better to remove the nib section and cleaning before you try to move the piston, mostly the little spindle will break.

post-13171-0-85434800-1435297935_thumb.jpg

post-13171-0-30898000-1435297952_thumb.jpg

post-13171-0-34682600-1435297963_thumb.jpg

post-13171-0-09885000-1435297975_thumb.jpg

post-13171-0-20024700-1435298045_thumb.jpg

post-13171-0-56159600-1435298056_thumb.jpg

post-13171-0-98624900-1435298066_thumb.jpg

post-13171-0-19878700-1435298078_thumb.jpg

If you need more information please send a PM

kind regards

Max

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Maxpens

• FredRydr

• EclecticCollector

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is of great interest to me. How sturdy are the threads, both on the section as well as the nib unit? Of course I realize that they're not designed for repeated removal like with Pelikans, but will they survive one or two a year for 30+ years?

This is of great interest to me. How sturdy are the threads, both on the section as well as the nib unit? Of course I realize that they're not designed for repeated removal like with Pelikans, but will they survive one or two a year for 30+ years?

The thread ( barrel and nib-feeder hull ) is from my experience strong enough to survive all the time. You need not a strong torque to remove or to screw it back, hand-tight is enough ( with this tool ). The hull is made from glass-fibre PA and the barrel from PMMA, should be no problem.

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

Does the 149 or the 146 require some kind of silicone sealant when you reinstall the nib or the piston?

What do you recommend?

Edited by meiers

Have the position and size of the notches changed compared to the prior tool?

Fred

They look like they would be useful. PM sent.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Does the 149 or the 146 require some kind of silicone sealant when you reinstall the nib or the piston?

What do you recommend?

If the hull comes with the new " O-ring" ( like the 149 shown in the picture ) it is not necessary to use an additional sealant. In general I recommend a little bit of wax for the thread. But you must be careful not close the feeder.

The 146 tool will work for most of the Editions and for the 147 Traveller ( this was another question )

Max

What do you recommend?

Brian Anderson has in the past told me that no sealant is needed for the 146.

If you really have no clue what you are doing, please don't do any repair work on your Mark Twain LE.

If you go ahead though, pictures please?

If you really have no clue what you are doing, please don't do any repair work on your Mark Twain LE.

If you go ahead though, pictures please?

I learn by doing... and will document the journey. Edited by meiers

Most of the LE are variants of the 146. Is there some difference in the construction of some of them that makes servicing more complicated?

Most of the LE are variants of the 146. Is there some difference in the construction of some of them that makes servicing more complicated?

I don't think so, it's just going to be more expensive to fix than a 146 if you really screw it up :)

Good point.

I have learned to proceed with caution and leave all fear behind.

Edited by meiers

I don't think so, it's just going to be more expensive to fix than a 146 if you really screw it up :)

Good point.

I have learned to proceed with caution and leave all fear behind.

I agree with jsolares, but we're all willing to have you find out for the rest of us. Let us know how it works out. Think of it as, "taking one for the team".

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Have the position and size of the lugs notches changed compared to the prior tool?

Have the location and size of the notches changed with the new pen design?

Fred

The tool is easy to use, little video..., but to be careful doesn't matter :-)

kind regards

Max