Ordering From Bespoke British Pens? Feedback?

Feathers

Hi all,

I was just looking at the latest Bespoke British Pens newsletter and it got me wondering if anyone has ordered a Conway Stewart or Onoto from them yet? While I understand why they are selling CS pens, and new editions made by BBP themselves from CS parts, I am confused as to why they are selling Onoto, when that brand (in as far as I am aware) still exists? Does anyone have any further info on this? That question aside, I am looking at ordering another CS from BBP, and was wondering if anyone else here has done the same and if they were happy with their purchase. I'm also curious about their new flexible nib - anyone have any further info on this nib? I'd love to hear some feedback on your ordering experience.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Feathers

• jmccarty3

• AJ50

• GreyPix

They are just a pen reseller. I believe two of the main people from Onoto left Onoto to form this company that specializes in British made pens.

Onoto is still around they just sell Onoto pens.

They are just a pen reseller. I believe two of the main people from Onoto left Onoto to form this company that specializes in British made pens.

Onoto is still around they just sell Onoto pens.

Yes, I do realize that, but thanks. I'm actually looking for feedback from someone who has actually made a direct purchase from BBP, with one of the new Conway Stewart pens. ETA, thanks for the clarification re: Onoto. I kind of figured that, but wasn't sure :)

Edited by Feathers

I have placed several different orders with Bespoke. All of them were for "newly produced" CS pens. My communications with them have gotten prompt and courteous responses. Considering that there is some assembly required, shipping time was reasonable. In at least one instance, my pen spent more time in Chicago traversing US Customs than it did waiting for order fulfillment. The pens are beautiful and a pleasure to use.

I haven't used one of their new flexible nibs, but I did email them a suggestion that they make these nibs available separately to those who already own CS pens. If the nibs truly are flexible, they probably could sell quite a few of them. I find it hard to imagine that there would be that much demand for them on the small number of new pens they are selling.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I have placed several different orders with Bespoke. All of them were for "newly produced" CS pens. My communications with them have gotten prompt and courteous responses. Considering that there is some assembly required, shipping time was reasonable. In at least one instance, my pen spent more time in Chicago traversing US Customs than it did waiting for order fulfillment. The pens are beautiful and a pleasure to use.

Thank you for chiming in with your feedback, I really appreciate that. :) What are your thoughts on the newly produced CSs? Did they have any markings/engraving on the barrels, or just the nib and clip? Some of the products say they won't come with any engraving and others don't mention it, so I wondered about that. What was the CS packaging like? Same as usual?

I haven't used one of their new flexible nibs, but I did email them a suggestion that they make these nibs available separately to those who already own CS pens. If the nibs truly are flexible, they probably could sell quite a few of them. I find it hard to imagine that there would be that much demand for them on the small number of new pens they are selling.

Brilliant suggestion! Perhaps I should email them as well, with the same suggestion, so they realize there is a demand for it. I agree wholeheartedly with you on that. I do hope they will begin to offer them sooner rather than later :) I wonder who is making these particular nibs, do you have any idea? Thanks again for your input :)

Brilliant suggestion! Perhaps I should email them as well, with the same suggestion, so they realize there is a demand for it. I agree wholeheartedly with you on that. I do hope they will begin to offer them sooner rather than later :) I wonder who is making these particular nibs, do you have any idea? Thanks again for your input :)

I have no idea who's making them--possibly the same people who were making CS nibs before the smash. I also have visions of stubs and obliques. A big reason I like CS pens (and Pelikans) is the easy interchangeability of the nibs.

I have no idea who's making them--possibly the same people who were making CS nibs before the smash. I also have visions of stubs and obliques. A big reason I like CS pens (and Pelikans) is the easy interchangeability of the nibs.

I very much like your visions! I will gladly follow, just lead the way :notworthy1: ;) All joking aside, that was what attracted me to them too, and Onoto as well. Much more versatility.

Edited by Feathers

Do Bespoke British Pens offer an FPN discount like they did when the owners were working for Onoto?

I honestly don't know because I haven't asked the question, but as I have always found Alastair and David very approachable, there is nothing to be lost if you ask the question.

Edited to correct the dreaded autocorrect.

Edited by View from the Loft

Thank you for chiming in with your feedback, I really appreciate that. :) What are your thoughts on the newly produced CSs? Did they have any markings/engraving on the barrels, or just the nib and clip? Some of the products say they won't come with any engraving and others don't mention it, so I wondered about that. What was the CS packaging like? Same as usual?

Sorry not to have responded more quickly. The pens I acquired had no markings beyond those on nib and clip except for two Series 100. One of the 100s came from a US vendor and I suspect was pre-collapse vintage. The other came from Bespoke. Both carry a CS and hallmarks on the wide silver band around the body. As for packaging, it was nice. I don't have it near to hand and don't recall details.

Received an email from Bespoke this morning. The gentleman said that the response to their flexible nibs has been better than expected, and that they have had to order some more. If the demand continues, they will consider making these nibs available separately for use in other CS pens.

Sorry not to have responded more quickly. The pens I acquired had no markings beyond those on nib and clip except for two Series 100. One of the 100s came from a US vendor and I suspect was pre-collapse vintage. The other came from Bespoke. Both carry a CS and hallmarks on the wide silver band around the body. As for packaging, it was nice. I don't have it near to hand and don't recall details.

Not to worry, there is no rush, I'm just happy to have any feedback at all. So thank you for taking the time to answer my question, much appreciated. :)

Received an email from Bespoke this morning. The gentleman said that the response to their flexible nibs has been better than expected, and that they have had to order some more. If the demand continues, they will consider making these nibs available separately for use in other CS pens.

Huzzah!! Great news! I will definitely send an email to them, right away. So, do you think they will make these changeable the way the regular CS nibs currently are, or do you think the feed will need adjustment when switching to these flex nibs?

If they are using CS parts, I can't imagine their making new nibs and feeds that would not be interchangeable with the old ones. I am envisioning extra-fine flexibles, stubs, and obliques to fit all my CS pens.

If they are using CS parts, I can't imagine their making new nibs and feeds that would not be interchangeable with the old ones. I am envisioning extra-fine flexibles, stubs, and obliques to fit all my CS pens.

My understanding is that the CS nibs were made by Bock, so I suppose BBP would just order some! Just a guess - perhaps flexible nibs are part of Bock's standard offerings; the rest is of course just finishing.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

In the light of day, I realize my question was kind of silly. The nib comes as a whole nib unit, so the feed would already be set. Not sure what I was thinking LOL.

The FLAG branded nibs available from BBP are made by the company who made CS nibs.

One of the pens I ordered is being adjusted by a British nib master they are using to become an oblique.

So it seems they may very well be expanding their 'bespoke' activities to customizing pen nibs as well on request.

Now that would be a very nice service. :)