Twsbi Eco

dylim1

Are you familiar with past TWSBI cracking issues?

I do. From what I understand, all the cracking issues have something to do with the nibs being removable and the collar not being attached properly when the nib was screwed back to the barrel. Thus, it causes stress to the collar or the threads on the barrel and cracks it. On TWSBI Eco, only the piston unit is screwed onto the barrel. The nib is friction-fit. So, my guess would be, there's not much cracking that might happen. That's just my speculation.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dylim1

• jordanjay29

• stephanos

• Gloucesterman

I do. From what I understand, all the cracking issues have something to do with the nibs being removable and the collar not being attached properly when the nib was screwed back to the barrel. Thus, it causes stress to the collar or the threads on the barrel and cracks it. On TWSBI Eco, only the piston unit is screwed onto the barrel. The nib is friction-fit. So, my guess would be, there's not much cracking that might happen. That's just my speculation.

Based on experience, I believe this is actually true.

The Eco sounds very interesting, but in all honesty I don't find it particularly attractive. (Not anywhere near the 580 or mini)

I will probably wait for a few reviews, pics and videos before deciding to give it a chance or not.

I'm not sure that you're right about blaming misuse or accident for the cracking issue; even TWSBI has admitted that they have this year sent back inferior materials to the supplier, and another earlier redesign involved shoring up the section with metal. There are plenty of plastic pens that have screwable sections with less history of cracking problems. However, I am hoping that your speculation is correct, and I stated that I hoped the same thing: fix the cracking issue (whatever the cause).

I'm not sure that you're right about blaming misuse or accident for the cracking issue; even TWSBI has admitted that they have this year sent back inferior materials to the supplier, and another earlier redesign involved shoring up the section with metal. There are plenty of plastic pens that have screwable sections with less history of cracking problems. However, I am hoping that your speculation is correct, and I stated that I hoped the same thing: fix the cracking issue (whatever the cause).

Yup. I hope it's fixed too. Really like the design of Eco. Especially the white one. Gonna buy one when it comes out.

There was some cracking related to the barrel as well in the 540 (at least, there was one in the Pay It Forward 2013 journal attempt that was passed around, sadly the pen and journal was lost somewhere before the end). It might have had something to do with removing the piston for cleaning, or normal piston operation or something else.

Probably fixed in later iterations of the 580 and 580 AL.

I think it looks sharp. I'm not sure I would get one, but I do like the look of it. OK, maybe I'll get one :)

28,99 USD according to Brian Goulet.

Wow.

I wonder if they are aiming at the Safari which is $29.60 at Goulet's ?

TWSBI wants to be THE low-cost entry level fountain pen.

Good for them. I hope the design holds up.

The Safari is pretty much bulletproof.

Of course there is the Metro which I suppose is the actual entry-level champ.

Wow.

I wonder if they are aiming at the Safari which is $29.60 at Goulet's ?

TWSBI wants to be THE low-cost entry level fountain pen.

Good for them. I hope the design holds up.

The Safari is pretty much bulletproof.

Of course there is the Metro which I suppose is the actual entry-level champ.

Looks pretty good as an entry level pen. I had a Safari as my first fountain pen. But if this came out when I got into fountain pen, I'd probably have chosen Eco as my first pen.

So TWSBI Eco is available for pre order from purepens.co.uk for 24£ or 37.4$.

Gouletpens.com offers them for pre order at 28.99$.

Can anyone explain the price gap here? They both get them from Taiwan, so they both have to pay for shipping and import taxes. There is a significant price difference here I can not understand.

It's simple business, you set a price and if people are willing to pay it, the price is right.

We have for a long time been fleeced with pricing in the UK but until we start talking with our wallets, nothing will change.

Unfortunately, we keep on buying, and buying :angry:

EDIT: I should mention, it is not just the UK, it is Europe!

Edited by PsychoDeli

"When two elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers"

Is the VAT in England built into the price? As I recall, in Germany, the price of an item includes the VAT.

Whereas, in the US, sales tax is added on top of the item price. So for example in California where I live; $28.99 base price + $2.75 sales tax (9.5%) = $31.74 total.

So if you adjust the UK price by removing the VAT portion of the price (if VAT in included in the item price), the prices would be closer.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Is the VAT in England built into the price? As I recall, in Germany, the price of an item includes the VAT.

Whereas, in the US, sales tax is added on top of the item price. So for example in California where I live; $28.99 base price + $2.75 sales tax (9.5%) = $31.74 total.

So if you adjust the UK price by removing the VAT portion of the price (if VAT in included in the item price), the prices would be closer.

You raise a very true point, and when I looked at it, my original point was still valid, even with taxes considered. When I actually stopped and thought about it for a second, our taxes are much higher than US taxes, (VAT in the UK is 20% for instance) ... so really it is the government to blame :P

...now we are treading into the political sphere however, so I'd rather be quiet :)

Thanks for clearing my head though!

"When two elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers"

Are you familiar with past TWSBI cracking issues?

I'd personally had the feed holder crack inside the section, but with the fantastic service I've experienced I'm willing to try another of TWSBI's pens. And probably another after that...

It will be interesting to see with the one-piece body and section if the cracking is better, or worse. I suspect with the incredible amount of time it's been since announcement and release that they've tried to be very sure that they won't be flooded with returns and broken pens. Or, perhaps, I hope that's the case.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I checked Goulet's site. It is available in white/clear and black/clear. The white/clear combo looks nice to me.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I checked Goulet's site. It is available in white/clear and black/clear. The white/clear combo looks nice to me.

Please note that it's scheduled to arrive late July 2015. Your comment (above) made me think they had arrived earlier than was expected.

Will you be one of the people to test out the new pen to determine if TWSBI got it right from the beginning?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Please note that it's scheduled to arrive late July 2015. Your comment (above) made me think they had arrived earlier than was expected.

Will you be one of the people to test out the new pen to determine if TWSBI got it right from the beginning?

I probably will. Along with a bunch of ink samples to take advantage of their sale.