Aurora 88 (800C) Review

High_Noon

Aurora 88 (800C) Nikargenta, M Nib, Review (Lengthy)

Now that I have utilized my new 88 extensively over the past few months, I am ready to post my thoughts. For this review, I am going to stray a bit from the normal review format. Instead of arbitrary ratings in specific categories, I will instead relay my impressions of the 88 based upon several key factors:

1. Packaging & Presentation

2. Appearance/Build Quality

3. Ergonomics

4. Filling Mechanism

5. Nib/Writing Impressions

6. Cost/Value

7. Overall Impression/Conclusion

Packaging & Presentation:

I ordered my 88 from a former Aurora dealer in Australia and when I received the plastic shipping envelope from DHL a few days later, I immediately thought the contents felt too small for the correct packaging. Upon opening my new prize, I found my suspicion was correct: the 88 was delivered in an older, austere package – a small box one might expect for a much less expensive pen. In fact, the relatively large 88 didn’t even fit into the pen slot correctly. The seller explained that this particular pen was NOS (6+ years old) and that packaging was different during that time frame. I had no reason to distrust his explanation, but his ad did not state that the pen was NOS, rather it stated that the pen was new in box and mint. Based upon this omission, the seller agreed to send me the proper packaging for the pen at his expense, which I thought was very nice. I realize it’s only a box, but I expected the correct packaging – after all, part of the fun of purchasing a high quality new fountain pen is opening the beautiful leather box to find you new prize carefully cradled.

Appearance/Build Quality

Upon opening the small, austere box, I was immediately taken by the sleek, yet classic lines – the understated, yet timeless look of (what I imagine) it must have been like to see the original design for the first time 60+ years ago. The 88 is solidly built, and the craftsmanship is outstanding. The detail of the pen is exceptional: from the perfectly designed clip to the smooth functioning of the piston mechanism, to the Nikargenta framed ink window. The nib is also large and beautiful – but more on these points later.

Ergomomics

The 88 is by no means small, but it is not remarkably large either – just right by my standards. The weight of the pen is also just right – much more substantial than a Pilot 91 or 92, for example and lighter than my Shaffer Prelude or a Faber-Castell e-motion. In my opinion, when inked, the 88 is a very comfortable weight. The section is not adorned with any trim and it tapers gently and nicely from the barrel (the bottom side of the ink window) and terminates with a slight flair. The section is not thin, but is comfortable to hold and the cap retention threads are not noticeable at all. The cigar-shaped design of the 88 is such that it fits my hand perfectly and quite comfortably, whether posted or not. I am a poster and I will say that the balance of the 88, when posted, is near perfect.

Filling Mechanism

Prior to inking the 88 with Pelikan Black ink for the first time, I flushed it approximately 10 times with filtered room temperature water. So far, the piston mechanism has operated perfectly. The mechanism is smooth and feels well engineered. I succeeded in inking the pen fully and properly the first time.

Nib/Writing Impressions

Simply put, the 14K M nib on the 88 is outstanding. The nib is beautifully adorned with scrollwork, the Aurora name, and 14K engraved within a central circle. When I was researching Auroras, I read about the “tooth” Auroras are known for. I read that some like this trait in Aurora nibs, while others detest it. I did not know what to expect since I had never written with an Aurora before. I have written with fountain pens that are “glass smooth” and I have written with a few nibs that had what I would describe as feedback, but I have never used a nib that I would describe as toothy or scratchy. I know all these terms are relative, but I can tell you that this particular nib is exceptionally smooth – not glass or butter smooth, but smooth in a way that is difficult to describe. The best way I can describe the experience of writing with this particular 88 is that it has just the slightest hint of tactile feedback as it glides effortlessly across the page – but not what I would call tooth. The nib has an almost “magical” feel, where it seems almost magnetically attracted to the paper, and while it doesn’t “grab” the paper it seems as though the modern version of Newton’s Law of Attraction (F = G *m1m2/r2) is definitely in play here – not unlike my beautiful young daughter’s attraction to pretty things. Writing with the 88 is definitely a pleasurable experience – almost sensual. And while I wouldn’t say this experience would replace a beautiful woman, it comes very close – damn close.

The only negative I have experienced with regard to this nib was that, when brand new, upon picking up the pen to write with, occasionally, there was a very slight false start with the first part of the first letter I wrote – about 2-3 mm. This problem worked itself out after a week or so of daily use. I also might add that after many, many, years of writing in almost exclusively in all caps (printing), I have only recently started writing in script again. I have practiced quite a bit and my penmanship has improved markedly, but upon using the 88 for the first time, I noticed that my script was not quite as legible as with some of my other fountain pens. I am not sure of the reason for this phenomenon, but I suspect it may be the larger nib and slightly larger section of the 88. After some time writing with the 88, the quality of my script recovered, but I thought it somewhat odd that the Aurora would cause me to write a bit differently.

Cost/Value

I feel I acquired my 88 for what I would consider to be a solid deal at less than ~43% of the MSRP, which I believe is $695.00. This does not include expedited shipping from Australia, which was relatively expensive, but I still feel the cost was justified for such an outstanding fountain pen. Cost is relative, and while the cost of everything has skyrocketed in recent years, I do not mind paying for quality, which can last a lifetime. I also feel that, with some time, a motivated buyer could probably find this pen for what I paid, if not a bit less. To some, an MSRP of $695.00 for an 800C may not be an issue, but it is for me at this point in my life. The price I paid, stretched my budget past my limit, but I do not regret my decision to make this purchase. Can you find a better writing experience at a cheaper price? Possibly. Can you find a fountain pen with better craftsmanship/quality, ergonomics, balance, and the timeless, yet understated class of the 88 for a better price than I paid? Probably not (unless you find an 88 for less!)

Conclusion

If you haven’t guessed, I am very pleased with my 88. I love the design, the vintage characteristics, the ergonomics and the writing experience. I have always gravitated towards quality vintage items and perhaps, the older tried-and-true ways of accomplishing many of the things we now take for granted. However, when I began my search for a quality, new fountain pen, I thought I wanted one of the more modern flat top/bottom pens that are increasingly popular today (like the Optima). I must credit Jaco10017 and FrankC, for their comments and suggestions regarding the 88 in another FPN thread of mine; for without their suggestions, I may not have looked more closely at the classically designed 88. I strongly recommend the AURORA 88 (800C) to anyone looking for a quality fountain pen that provides an exceptional writing experience.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review.

- High_Noon

Edited by High_Noon

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• High_Noon

• Frank C

• limt

• perfaddict

Thank you for this carefully considered review--I'm awaiting the arrival of my first Aurora 88 (813), Medium and my already whetted appetite is now approaching drool stage, so thanks again...!

Thank you for this carefully considered review--I'm awaiting the arrival of my first Aurora 88 (813), Medium and my already whetted appetite is now approaching drool stage, so thanks again...!

You are certainly welcome. I wanted to wait a few month before I posted my review. I'm sure you will love your 813.

I'm in love with my 88 as well. Amazing pens.

Yes, the Aurora 88 is indeed an amazing pen!

Perhaps I will post a few photos in the next few days.

Aurora makes beautiful distinctive nibs. It's writing experience is unique. It is one of the few manufacturers which still produce it's own nib in house, IIRC. Most people like to describe it as toothy, for want of a better word. It should not be taken negatively, it's really quite pleasurable and I love it!

I remember when you were shopping for a pen. I'm glad that you like it. I'm also happy that you used it for a few months before posting a review. Too many people, in my opinion, buy a new pen and post a review right away, before they have a chance to really understand the pen.

Photos are always appreciated!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Nice review! I got mine in black and rhodium with a broad nib. Wasn't sure if the nib was toothy or just gave feedback. I could not abide with the famed idiosyncracy for too long and smoothened it down with Mylar and it now writes like a dream. The broad is one wet writer though.

Wonderful pens! I have EF nibs and they are just perfect.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

will you put some photos, it's really interesting review

I'll try to get some photos posted by the end of the weekend.

Nice-looking pen. I hope you enjoy it.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Nice-looking pen. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Frank. I am indeed enjoying the 88.