Pen Stops Flowing

Gee Tee

I have a Parker Sonet with a gold plated nib and absolutely love writing with it. If I am having a writing session sometimes the flow slows down and then stops and I have to lick the tip of the nib to get it flowing again. The tines look fine to me though I'm quite new to fountain pens so I don't have a trained eye....any suggestions?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Babangita

• Gee Tee

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using a cartridge or converter?

If converter are you experiencing "vapor lock" where a bubble blocks the flow of ink?

Does it slow down and stop while writing or is it after it sits unused for awhile?

My Website

I have a Parker Sonet with a gold plated nib and absolutely love writing with it. If I am having a writing session sometimes the flow slows down and then stops and I have to lick the tip of the nib to get it flowing again. The tines look fine to me though I'm quite new to fountain pens so I don't have a trained eye....any suggestions?

Many of us have complained about the Sonnet doing that despite doing everything possible to repair and adjust to its quirks. I could never get mine to work properly.

In fairness of equal time I will also note that many on FPN call it the best pen they ever used...

Edited by torstar

Are you using a cartridge or converter?

If converter are you experiencing "vapor lock" where a bubble blocks the flow of ink?

Does it slow down and stop while writing or is it after it sits unused for awhile?

I'm using a cartridge. The ink gets lighter and lighter within the span of 100 words or less and then it stops writing. I either have to lick the tip or squeeze the cartridge. I don't leave it unused without the cap and I use it pretty much every day...

First think I would do is to give the pen a good cleaning/flushing.

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2012/06/fp101-pen-cleaning-and-maintenance.html

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2012/08/fp101-fast-pen-flushing.html

You could also try to switch to Waterman ink.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Since you're using a cartridge, unscrew the barrel and look to see whether there is ink stuck behind a bubble. If so, just give the section a thump with a finger to dislodge the bubble. If the pen is rather new, have you given the section a good cleaning with diluted dish detergent or diluted ammonia?

I'm using a cartridge. The ink gets lighter and lighter within the span of 100 words or less and then it stops writing. I either have to lick the tip or squeeze the cartridge. I don't leave it unused without the cap and I use it pretty much every day...

Try something for me.

Put one drop of detergent in a full glass of water.

Take a wood toothpick and dip it into the glass.

Pull the cartridge out and dip the toothpick in the ink.

Replace the cartridge and try for a couple days to see if there is any difference.

My Website

I've let the nib soak for a couple of hours and then let it dry over night....

No, you need to flush the pen, not just soak it.

Flushing gets the ink channels clear of old ink. And it cleans out manufacturing oils and particles.

If you are going to just soak it, you need to soak it at least overnight, not just a couple of hours.

When you soak the nib, you do it in a narrow glass, and nib down, so the ink drifts down out of the feed. And change the water in the glass when it gets cloudy, so you can monitor how much ink is coming out of the feed, and when the ink stops coming out.

www.SFPenShow.com

....... I have to lick the tip of the nib to get it flowing again. The tines look fine to me ........

What color is your Tounge and how does it taste?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem on my Omas 557 from '88 (piston filler).

Disassembled, flushed, cleared and soaked all the pen parts several times.

All of the parts seem in perfect condition, including the nib&ebonite-feed section but the problem still remains.

I may be wrong, but when I write with it, considering the line length/duration, it seems as it stops immediately after the ink contained in the feed is consumed.

I'm partly in favor of the same conclusion as the flow stops quicker when more pressure is applied when flexing the nib. Almost instantly or at least after a line and a half.
It is the one of those models with the nib fixed to the feed section - it seems perfectly clean and when disassembled apparently it conducts the ink well.
Still, I've seen several cases here in FPN when this particular section of the '80 Omas broke so I don't think that trying to disassemble this nib/feed section itself would be a good idea.
Is it possible that the ebonite just lost its natural properties?
Please help, it is a great pen, with a beautiful semi flex F nib that gives a perfect line, but for a very limited time...

Current modern daily users: Montegrappa Miya, Omas AM87, S.T.Dupont D-Line, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Modello 60.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

You may have a problem with your feed similar to what the noodler's Ahab sometimes has. The flex of the nib allows for you to put ink down on paper faster than the the feed can keep up with. On the Ahab the solution is to widen the channels of the feed. On an Omas you should be a bit more hesitant about modifying the feed.

Note to self: don't try to fix anything without the heat gun handy!

You may have a problem with your feed similar to what the noodler's Ahab sometimes has. The flex of the nib allows for you to put ink down on paper faster than the the feed can keep up with. On the Ahab the solution is to widen the channels of the feed. On an Omas you should be a bit more hesitant about modifying the feed.

Thank you Ironwampa, this seems as a very logical explanation of the problem.

The pen is in fact a very wet writer. Although I like 'em wet, this one is almost exaggeratedly wet.

I will look into methods of slightly reducing the wetness of the nib, I am sure that on FPN if not on YT many information on the subject can be found.

If that doesn't help, I will try to disassemble the nib/feed section without breaking it, but the chances for that are not in favor of the success of the operation as it is a factory sealed section.

Current modern daily users: Montegrappa Miya, Omas AM87, S.T.Dupont D-Line, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Modello 60.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

No, you need to flush the pen, not just soak it.

Flushing gets the ink channels clear of old ink. And it cleans out manufacturing oils and particles.

If you are going to just soak it, you need to soak it at least overnight, not just a couple of hours.

When you soak the nib, you do it in a narrow glass, and nib down, so the ink drifts down out of the feed. And change the water in the glass when it gets cloudy, so you can monitor how much ink is coming out of the feed, and when the ink stops coming out.

I just though of something, soaking would not clean out oils that may be in the feed from manufacturing. For that you need to flush the pen.

I recommend something like this, to force water through the pen to clean out the ink channel.

http://www.gouletpens.com/gpc-bulbsyringe/p/GPC-BulbSyringe

www.SFPenShow.com

I just though of something, soaking would not clean out oils that may be in the feed from manufacturing. For that you need to flush the pen.

I recommend something like this, to force water through the pen to clean out the ink channel.

http://www.gouletpens.com/gpc-bulbsyringe/p/GPC-BulbSyringe

Thank you Ac12! I even know exactly where to find a similar device.

I've seen it in a kind of pharmacy specialized in equipment for doctors (although I don't really want to know what it is exactly for)

I'll just let it rest for a few days in water with a drop of detergent and then...I'll just flush it's soul out. :D