Pelikan M400 White Tortoise On Mass Drop

Feathers

Is anyone picking up one of these? If I didn't already have the M600, I would definitely grab one :)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Feathers

• Recoil Rob

• shawndp

• FayeV

Timing is HORRIBLE for me... Just paid a HUGE household bill.

But since I rather get a BB or OBB... I am good. It also means I can look forward for this pen to be offered in Massdrop at a future date. :lol:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

If I had the money, I most definately would. I'm saving up my money to buy a M600 for when I graduate with my masters degree.

Timing is HORRIBLE for me... Just paid a HUGE household bill.

But since I rather get a BB or OBB... I am good. It also means I can look forward for this pen to be offered in Massdrop at a future date. :lol:

C.

Ugh, I've got a few of those bills coming up *sigh* They have a crappy way of horning in on the old pen budget ;)

If I had the money, I most definately would. I'm saving up my money to buy a M600 for when I graduate with my masters degree.

What a wonderful gift for yourself. :) I love my M600. The size is great. Best wishes in your studies!

Bah! I just bought this a few weeks ago, but it's just as well, I can't deal with the long (free) ship-time from Massdrop, but it's a good deal.

Seems Pelikan is flushing out their remaining stock of this model. Anyone still thinking about buying it should take the plunge! I had a difficult time finding dealers who still had it in stock. and at a decent price.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Bought one as an early birthday present for myself two weeks ago. Thankfully it was significantly cheaper than Massdrop's or else I would have shot myself or bought another. Personally, I think the white tortoise is by far the best looking modern tortoise.

Bah! I just bought this a few weeks ago, but it's just as well, I can't deal with the long (free) ship-time from Massdrop, but it's a good deal.

Seems Pelikan is flushing out their remaining stock of this model. Anyone still thinking about buying it should take the plunge! I had a difficult time finding dealers who still had it in stock. and at a decent price.

Ahh, yes that's right, I recall you just bought one. Definitely a good deal. :)

Bought one as an early birthday present for myself two weeks ago. Thankfully it was significantly cheaper than Massdrop's or else I would have shot myself or bought another. Personally, I think the white tortoise is by far the best looking modern tortoise.

Oh, that's good that it was cheaper (wow, significantly less than MassDrop? You did well, then! :) I agree, I think the colour is just so beautiful. They did a wonderful job with this pen :)

Beautiful pen! I'd join up but they only have extra fine left. Too bad...so sad.

awww too bad! I think they only had 5 mediums originally. :(

Really considered it. But by the time I checked all they had left is extra fine. But it is a really beautiful pen!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Really considered it. But by the time I checked all they had left is extra fine. But it is a really beautiful pen!

Yes, the larger sizes went fast. I'm still trying to decide. The EF nib suits me, however I already have 2 M205 with EF nib, and an M205 with F nib. So I really would have liked to give the M nib a try. And I agree, it looks beautiful in all the photos I've seen.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Yes, the larger sizes went fast. I'm still trying to decide. The EF nib suits me, however I already have 2 M205 with EF nib, and an M205 with F nib. So I really would have liked to give the M nib a try. And I agree, it looks beautiful in all the photos I've seen.

They look beautiful in photos. I got a chance to see one in person a few weeks back and they look even more gorgeous in person. It's definitely a looker.

I have a white and green on the way. I hope I like the M400. LOL. It should be fine if it is the same size as the M200, which is a good size for my petite hands. I wonder, is the M600 very much larger?

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Massdrop user, some times they have good deals, sometime mediocre. This was a mediocre deal compounded by the fact there was a limit of nib sizes. I wanted a Broad which were not even offered at the start.

It took about 10 min. of my time to find the same pen, with a Broad nib, about $20 less, through Global Rakuten. It shipped from Japan, I had it within a week (I think the Massdrop buyers may still be waiting for theirs) and it came in a JDM gift box with a 62.5ml bottle of Pelikan Royal Blue. (Although I will be using Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun' or De Atramentis Scotch Whiskey, Iike matching inks colors to pen bodies...)

U4Y7YJ_20150702_183435_7935I.png

Edited by Recoil Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

They look beautiful in photos. I got a chance to see one in person a few weeks back and they look even more gorgeous in person. It's definitely a looker.

They're a gorgeous pen and lovely to use. I've had mine for a couple of years and wouldn't part with it. The M nib is a good match; I prefer the wider nibs for general use.

Glenn.

Rob - may I ask who you used on Rakuten and how was the whole buying experience? That M400 was on my radar too but I am hunting for a M1000 and the Rakuten prices are tempting. That's a gorgeous pen BTW!

I used Pen-House but have used others and the process has been the same. First you have to click on the button up top for English to navigate. Once done though it's fairly straight forward.

It will give the price in Japanese Yen and US$ but you will be billed in Yen so you will have to figure the exchange rate and also what your Credit Card issuer will charge for that. There will also be the shipping charge. Right now it looks as though the pen in less than when I bought it!

Once you place the order it will take a day or two for them to get back to you with the shipping total (confirm the final, total price in Yen and do the conversion) and you then actually pay off that invoice. I used Paypal for an extra level of security. (Note to Paypal users, in your preferences you can set Paypal to pay in the sellers currency so you card issuer will bill the conversion fee which is often less than Paypal billing you for it.)

Package showed up, beautifully wrapped, and the bottle of ink was a bonus I did not expect.

They are very polite when answering emails, just realize the time difference, if you are a night owl like I am you may get a quicker response.

Also, some of the auto generated replies will be in Japanese, if it's important just ask for a translation.

If you do this it may be worth your time to see if they have any inks or paper you like to ship along with it.

Any other questions, just ask.

Edited by Recoil Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

I'm a Massdrop user, some times they have good deals, sometime mediocre. This was a mediocre deal compounded by the fact there was a limit of nib sizes. I wanted a Broad which were not even offered at the start.

It took about 10 min. of my time to find the same pen, with a Broad nib, about $20 less, through Global Rakuten. It shipped from Japan, I had it within a week (I think the Massdrop buyers may still be waiting for theirs) and it came in a JDM gift box with a 62.5ml bottle of Pelikan Royal Blue. (Although I will be using Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun' or De Atramentis Scotch Whiskey, Iike matching inks colors to pen bodies...)

U4Y7YJ_20150702_183435_7935I.png

Thanks for the tip, Rob! What's a JDM gift box? Is it original Pelikan packaging or something this shop put together?