mehandiratta

I have stocked up lot of inks, especially inks like Chelpark, Camlin, Bril and Sulekha. All these are region specific like Chelpark is easily available in North India and Bril's availability is limited to Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai, and Sulekha only available in Kolkatta that too few colors against 11 colors listed on webpage and lastly Camlin is available pan India.

The review is about the Bril Royal Blue Ink, which happens to be my first ink review.

And before I go further I would really like to thank Visvamitra and Lgsoltek, whose ink reviews I personally like a lot and is the inspiration for the ink review.

Bril inks are one of the most used and admired inks in India. Bril has been in existence since 1964 and are based out of Bangalore.

img_20150621_184553.jpg?w=768

Bril Royal Blue is one of the most used inks in India after Camlin Blue and it is priced at Rs. 15 (US $ 0.25) for 60 ml glass bottle.

INK SPLASH

img_20150621_1843422.jpg?w=768

Ink Splash on Bilt Matrix - 70 gsm

img_20150621_184844.jpg?w=768

Ink Splash on Century Copy Paper - 70 gsm

Drop on Paper Napkin

img_20150621_184321.jpg?w=768

Color Match

software.jpg

Writing Samples

img_20150621_1837102.jpg?w=768

Bril Royal Blue – Writing Sample on Bilt Matrix (70 gsm) using 3 pens of varying nibs width

img_20150621_185332.jpg?w=768

Bril Royal Blue – Writing Sample on Camlin School Notebook using 3 pens of varying nibs width

img_20150621_1836562.jpg?w=768

Bril Royal Blue – Writing Sample on Century Copy paper (70 gsm) using 3 pens of varying nibs width

Ink Swabs

img_20150621_18382921.jpg?w=768

Bril Royal Blue – Ink Swab Sample on Bilt Matrix (70 gsm) – 3 swabs, 2 swabs and 1 swab from Left to Right

For further details and waterproof test, please visit my blog LINK

Edited by mehandiratta

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• ajaynatu

• visvamitra

• cjpandya

Thank you for mentioning me :) Stunning review of the ink I was curious about. It seems Bril inks offer reasonable price / quality ratio, especially if one would check currency rates :)

Anyway I always enjoy reviews of new (to me) inks. I remember I once wrote to Sulekha that you've mentioned and asked them about the inks and whether they ship worldwide but never received any kind of answer :)

Thank you for mentioning me :) Stunning review of the ink I was curious about. It seems Bril inks offer reasonable price / quality ratio, especially if one would check currency rates :)

Anyway I always enjoy reviews of new (to me) inks. I remember I once wrote to Sulekha that you've mentioned and asked them about the inks and whether they ship worldwide but never received any kind of answer :)

Sulekha doesn't even bother shipping those out their city in India also... forget international...

they don't see the potential...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Thanks for the review. I always enjoy your posts. We don't get these inks in North America. I like that the bottle says, "Fountain Pens Help Improve Handwriting".

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

And if you'll have motivation to keep on doung these, I'll be more than thrilled to see all those goodies from India, especially Sulekha Flaming Orange if you happen to have it :)

yes,,, will cover every possible indian ink....even sulekha flaming orange...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Thanks for the review. I always enjoy your posts. We don't get these inks in North America. I like that the bottle says, "Fountain Pens Help Improve Handwriting".

Thank you frank....

And Yeah... that nice"Fountain Pens Help Improve Handwriting"... just noticed....

vaibhav mehandiratta

Great review and a nice decent blue. Thank you for mentioning me. I'm honoured! Me too I learn from our best Visvamitra!

Thank you.

vaibhav mehandiratta

A Great detailed review seeing that it is your 1st one. This quenched the long standing curiosity i had about this ink. What a deep shade of blue that is! Thank you for your time and effort. Keep the ink reviews coming!☺☺ And bdw, is there any way to get even one bottle of this ink up in Gujarat?

A Great detailed review seeing that it is your 1st one. This quenched the long standing curiosity i had about this ink. What a deep shade of blue that is! Thank you for your time and effort. Keep the ink reviews coming!☺☺ And bdw, is there any way to get even one bottle of this ink up in Gujarat?

I belive if you happen to travel to Hyderabad or chennai or bangalore... Especially karnataka... You will be able to get this... There is 500 ml pet bottle for 60 bucks... All inks were gifted to me by my friend Rakshit... Who is in Hyderabad..

Lastly you can ask www.asapens.in

They ship the glass ink bottle ... But breakage is your risk...

vaibhav mehandiratta

I belive if you happen to travel to Hyderabad or chennai or bangalore... Especially karnataka... You will be able to get this... There is 500 ml pet bottle for 60 bucks... All inks were gifted to me by my friend Rakshit... Who is in Hyderabad..

Lastly you can ask www.asapens.in

They ship the glass ink bottle ... But breakage is your risk...

No friends or travel plans to those states...i think, for now, ASA is the best bet during my next order. Anyway, thanks. Edited by cjpandya

Nice to see an Indian ink review. Bril royal blue ink has the additional advantage and quality assurance of the ISI mark.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nice to see an Indian ink review. Bril royal blue ink has the additional advantage and quality assurance of the ISI mark.

Thank you... and yes I missed on that important vital information....

vaibhav mehandiratta

Nice review vaibhav. Bril RB is my goto ink for professional writing. I find most of the western blues dont come close to saturation of Bril RB. IMHO, I find Hero washable blue also comes close to the color of RB, except for the strong phenolic smell

ETA: Check on Aurora Blue for same level of saturation as Bril RB

Edited by vig2432

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

• 1 year later...

May I know if this ink fades over period of time? For writing documents which will be used for next 30-40yrs.

it will fade away

vaibhav mehandiratta

Better get noodlers then!!!

Have not found one Indian fade proof , waterproof ink till now. :unsure:

try daytone blue black...

vaibhav mehandiratta