Pilot Vanishing Point - Loose Clip!

alexhondsmerk

Dear all,

I've got a small problem with my Pilot VP; the clip has developed several degrees of side to side play? I don't actually use the clip to, well, clip the pen to anything so I'm not too worried about that aspect of it, but because of the design of the pen you end up holding the clip and it's a little disconcerting if it wiggles whilst writing!

Edit - I should add, I've had the pen for approximately 8 months from new

Here's some pictures to illustrate the problem; one to the left...

http://i.imgur.com/xbWeowj.jpg?1

... and one to the right!

http://i.imgur.com/pmzJ2Fq.jpg?2

The pen has never been abused or manhandled, so it's annoying that this has happened. There appears to be either a hairline crack or a moulding fault in the plastic (?) tip of the pen which may have something to do with the situation.

I've dropped Pilot UK an email directly via their contact form, with no reply as of yet, and the retailer only suggested to get in touch with them directly as they don't handle repairs. So, (hopefully!) pending a reply from Pilot, I'd love to know if anyone has any suggestions as to how to tighten the clips a little, or at least stop the problem from getting any worse? I've taken the pen out of my rotation for the time being but would love to have it back in action soon. Also, if anyone has any experience of dealing with Pilot UK for repairs, I'd love to hear!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Alex

Edited by alexhondsmerk

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexhondsmerk

• graystranger

That wobbly clip would bother me too. I imagine you will be able to get it fixed by Pilot.

My first Pilot Vanishing Point was bought in 1999 and I used it at work daily for 14 years, often clipped to my shirt pocket throughout the day. Then I clipped it in a pen case with a couple of my other nicer fountain pens to take home each night and back to work the next day. I still use it and it looks like new after nearly 16 years not. Clipped to my shirt pocket around the house every day so it is handy. The clip is just as tight now as it was when new. In fact, the mechanism, the nib seal, every thing is as good now as new. "Clicked" the nib out and in many thousands of times. This is the first I've heard of the clip coming loose, I think this is quite rare.

Another thought, some people who love the pen but not the clip remove the clip completely. As a last resort you would probably find someone on FPN who would want to buy your pen to remove the clip.

The clip never bothered me and I have written tons with it. I loved it so much that I bought the limited edition 2014 Copper VP and keep it handy. One has a F nib and the other has a M nib. I also have the EF and B nib assemblies all inked and sealed up so I can switch between them at any time without having to re-fill the spare.

Let us know what you find out.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

That wobbly clip would bother me too. I imagine you will be able to get it fixed by Pilot.

My first Pilot Vanishing Point was bought in 1999 and I used it at work daily for 14 years, often clipped to my shirt pocket throughout the day. Then I clipped it in a pen case with a couple of my other nicer fountain pens to take home each night and back to work the next day. I still use it and it looks like new after nearly 16 years not. Clipped to my shirt pocket around the house every day so it is handy. The clip is just as tight now as it was when new. In fact, the mechanism, the nib seal, every thing is as good now as new. "Clicked" the nib out and in many thousands of times. This is the first I've heard of the clip coming loose, I think this is quite rare.

Another thought, some people who love the pen but not the clip remove the clip completely. As a last resort you would probably find someone on FPN who would want to buy your pen to remove the clip.

The clip never bothered me and I have written tons with it. I loved it so much that I bought the limited edition 2014 Copper VP and keep it handy. One has a F nib and the other has a M nib. I also have the EF and B nib assemblies all inked and sealed up so I can switch between them at any time without having to re-fill the spare.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks for replying! Yes, I didn't think it was a terribly common problem, I couldn't find much from anyone with similar issues across a number of pen forums. Reassuring to know that a replacement will hopefully last decades or more from your experience! I'd rather not take the clip off entirely, it works well with my grip, but if Pilot aren't cooperative in helping me fix it I may have to go for your second suggestion and sell it.

I'll post the outcome once I get there!

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a few quick emails with Pilot UK (great communication from the reps once I got through to a human!) I posted it off to them late last week, and first thing this morning they emailed back and have offered to replace the barrel at no charge. Very pleased with the service and a great reflection on Pilot :)

Wonderful! You can't ask for any better support than that. Thanks for letting us know.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation