Hakase Pen Purchase Help

Dhruv_Sood

Indeed. A totally different buying experience as compared to other pen manufacturers.

I guess I'll really become as loyal to Hakase as you have been mongrelnomad. :)

Btw, how did you get that Tortoise shell desk pen? Went to Tottori to collect it?

I was planning to, but my trip fell through. I was passing through Tokyo so had Ryo-san send it to my cousin who kindly delivered it by hand.

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dhruv_Sood

• mongrelnomad

• Algester

• nibbling

Ah, that's great. I want the tortoise shell pen too. I will have to go to Japan as soon as possible since the one who makes the tortoise shell barrel using traditional technique is already 90 years old.

Read this somewhere on FPN.

I've dealt with Nakaya directly and have found them to be much more reserved, less patient, and much less open to entertaining client requests than Hakase.

I now use CFP exclusively as there is no benefit whatsoever dealing direct...

hmm I now wonder what it would feel like to have your very own ohashido then... since Hakase and Ohashido by nature arent that much different only that these are the "custom" tiers of Pilot and Sailor by respectively but its not like Hakase doesnt use sailor nibs which he does

Ifind it weird that Nakaya being the only "custom" tier by Platinum would be that rude or so to speak

Edited by Algester

hmm I now wonder what it would feel like to have your very own ohashido then... since Hakase and Ohashido by nature arent that much different only that these are the "custom" tiers of Pilot and Sailor by respectively but its not like Hakase doesnt use sailor nibs which he does

Ifind it weird that Nakaya being the only "custom" tier by Platinum would be that rude or so to speak

I'm back in Japan this winter (hopefully). I plan to search out my own Ohashido then...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Please post a review of the Ohashido when you get it, of course, only if you can.

Can somebody tell me whether the maker would be willing to ship to other countries if the order is placed in person? Algester said that you need to meet in person to place the order, doesn't mean you need to collect it in person too.

• 1 year later...

I realise that this stream has, in all probability, died, but I thought it worth making the comment that it is an interesting if somewhat inconclusive stream. I am awaiting my first Hakase and my order more or less coincided with the opportunity to meet Yamamoto-San and try the pens myself. I found him charming, helpful and very engaging and, in my correspondence with him, efficient (he does what he says he will when he says he will do it). This is taking into account the language difficulties which I found easily surmountable. I would say (and this comment is in no way aimed at anyone posting in this stream) that a recognition of cultural difference (manners, way of doing business and so on) is important on both sides. For me, one of the great charms of Japanese pens is their cultural context and traditions and it is this that has given me so much pleasure as well as insight into a culture that I know, with regret, hardly at all. In the meantime, I am awaiting with great expectation to confirm the high opinion expressed by almost everyone who has a Hakase pen.

i believe the thread is still alive while the poster waits for his turtle hakase

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Apologies for late reply, Mew. Two actually: a horn and a rosewood, both plain and without decoration of any kind. Not due until Feb-March.

Apologies for late reply, Mew. Two actually: a horn and a rosewood, both plain and without decoration of any kind. Not due until Feb-March.

Great. Congratulations. :)

I hope to visit the shop soon and order in person.

When you say without any decoration, do you mean that it won't have any fittings (no clip etc) or gold plated ones?

• 1 month later...

Again apologies, Mew, for such a late response. The answer is, yes. I prefer very simple designs and I have always loathed clips, not least because I don't put pens in pockets. One of the reasons for the late response is that, by chance, I managed to pick up a couple of Hakase pens recently, a Green Celluloid and, I blush to admit, a Tortoiseshell. I blush because I do have very serious qualms over flaunting the protected species bans but, as I am only human and weak, I couldn't resist. I am glad I didn't resist. The Green is a stub and I had reservations beforehand because it is not a nib that really suits my hand, but this one is so silky and light of touch that it has made me rethink my objections. The Tortoiseshell is a Fine, my preferred nib, and, well, it really is beyond compare.

You will enjoy meeting Yamamoto-San who is very charming. Enjoy your trip and I hope you find what you want.

No issues about the late reply. I barely log in these days, much less check the forums.

By "pick up", do you mean that you have received your pens or did you manage to buy the pens from second hand market? In either case, congratulations. I hope you would like them. Tortoiseshell pen isn't completely made from tortoiseshell due to unrealistic dimensions (explanation is way too long), so what': the base material for tortoiseshell pen?

I have placed my Hakase order (tortoiseshell on buffalo horn) which will be delivered in December 2017. I most likely won't be around to post about it, but i am really looking forward to it.

About using tortoiseshell, I had the same feeling as you do. It just made me feel like a hypocrite because I have eaten protected species before. The pen would stay with me for a lifetime, which holds more value than a one time delicacy.

I bought both the Hakase pens via FPN classified. Actually neither were advertised (I would probably have missed them otherwise). Both came about from a correspondence following the purchase of/inquiry about another pen. Both are relatively new (about 18 months to two years) and in excellent condition. Apologies for the expression 'pick up' - sloppy and inaccurate writing. I suppose my feeling about tortoiseshell was that it had been made, it was available, it was over here (UK) and, hypocrite that I am, why deny myself. I certainly intend to enjoy it. So I agree with you. I hope you will be as pleased with yours as I am with mine.

By the way, since you are based in Tokyo and Kyoto, have you any experience of ordering from Ohashido or buying his pens in Japan - I believe that he sells through department stores at special events? I have been fortunate enough to find an Ohashido in the UK and it is one of the most amazing writing experiences I have ever had.