Fosfor Bombay-Storm Version

vig2432

While browsing through the archives of FPN, i came across the review of Fosfor sandalwood pen by hari(https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/273319-my-new-chandan-sandalwood-pen-made-by-fosfor-pens/). I was intrigued by the design and was surprised that an Indian pen maker is making such beautiful pens. Since, I was neither interested in wooden pens nor I could afford them, I put it in the backburner. Then, I again visited the website and was happy to see that Manoj has been offering Polyester resin pens. I mailed him and asked for the details and decided upon a pen. The details are in

http://www.fpnibs.com/en/45-fosfor-pens

http://fosforpens.blogspot.in/2014/09/in-house-cast-polyester-resin-pens.html

PACKAGING:

The pen came in a nice box and it feels as if I ordered a much expensive pen. Such customer service is rare in India.

post-117506-0-99572600-1434342919_thumb.jpg

post-117506-0-19935100-1434342918_thumb.jpg

post-117506-0-08210900-1434342916_thumb.jpg

DESIGN:

The PR pens come in 2 models: Bombay and Bangalore. Within each model, there are different color variants, I chose the storm version. AFAIK, each pen blank is cast in PR and the pens are handturned on a lathe. The pen has come out nice and polished

post-117506-0-08397100-1434343035.jpg

post-117506-0-36411600-1434343032_thumb.jpg

post-117506-0-92837500-1434343028_thumb.jpg

I like the round top design. The threads are well-machined and are not sharp at all. The pen has big step down from the section to barrel. While, I dont feel it, it can bother some people.

Specs:

Length 150mm / Length uncapped 128mm

Maximum diameter 14.5mm

Weight 22 g

The pen has #5 Schmidt F steel nib. The pen is a C/C type pen. SInce it is a resin pen, It could be converted to an ED pen

NIB:

post-117506-0-97413100-1434343289_thumb.jpg

post-117506-0-94863500-1434343286_thumb.jpg

post-117506-0-16454300-1434343285_thumb.jpg

The nib is a moderately wet writer. The nib is a smooth nib with a hint of feedback. The nib has some springiness to it.

post-117506-0-93820600-1434343299_thumb.jpg

SECTION:

This is a big pen, slightly larger than the Lamy Safari. It doesn’t weigh as much and it is a comfortable writer and one can write long periods with it without tiring. This pen cannot be posted securely

post-117506-0-31931600-1434343283_thumb.jpg

(From Left: Pilot Mr, ASA I Can, Fosfor Bombay, Hero 359 )

post-117506-0-02694000-1434343292_thumb.jpg

post-117506-0-85062600-1434343293_thumb.jpg

CONCLUSION:

The pen has been priced reasonably and affordably for an Indian customer. I am not giving away the price, but lets just say it is in the same ballpark as a Lamy AL-Star(for an Indian that is). Even if the pen is priced 3-4 times the original price, it would have been worth it. At this price, you get a handturned pen with a 3-1 filling system.

Leave your comments below

Edited by vig2432

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vig2432

• Dhruv_Sood

• hari317

• mehandiratta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice pen. Congrats!

Thanks Hari, suffices to say you helped me a find a talented pen maker

Good vigneshwar... Its a good pen

Thanks Vaibhav

You are welcome. Manoj is a talented pen maker and deserves to be more famous. Wishing him all the best.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thats a nice looking pen. And that box is really cool!

Thank you

You are welcome. Manoj is a talented pen maker and deserves to be more famous. Wishing him all the best.

Thanks for the review and your kind words.

I recently purchased (2) Custom Fountain Pens from Fosfor/Manoj and I was very very pleased.

Manoj has excellent communication and excellent skills as a creator of Fountain pens.

I would not hesitate to purchase from him again...

THANKS MANOJ!!

• 1 month later...

What an absolute stunner! It's a pity such wonderful talent is relatively unknown in this country. I sincerely hope that will change soon, and penmeisters like Mr Manoj and Mr Subramaniam will get the recognition they rightly deserve.

YMMV, but I'd rather put my money on such talented desi penturners than spend a fortune at a boutique. In my opinion, the likes of Deccan, Kanwrite, Ratnam suffer from logistical gaps and a sad absence of an online retail platform. These brands fail to expand their market because of their outdated market model. Its sadder still to see foreign companies selling some of these lovely pens, rebranded, and often at a much higher markup. The profits of which should rightly go into the pockets of their makers.

Which is any it's always great to see the likes of independent pen makers creating goregous art. And I am glad the Indian FP community is doing it's part to enable business and open the market further.

Apologies if this sounded like a rant, but I needed to get this off my chest.

Best wishes,

Rahul G

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vg3eo.jpg

Follow at @rg1283 and http://bluecabbage.blogspot.com

What an absolute stunner! It's a pity such wonderful talent is relatively unknown in this country. I sincerely hope that will change soon, and penmeisters like Mr Manoj and Mr Subramaniam will get the recognition they rightly deserve.

In my opinion, the likes of Deccan, Kanwrite, Ratnam suffer from logistical gaps and a sad absence of an online retail platform. These brands fail to expand their market because of their outdated market model. Its sadder still to see foreign companies selling some of these lovely pens, rebranded, and often at a much higher markup. The profits of which should rightly go into the pockets of their makers.

Which is any it's always great to see the likes of independent pen makers creating goregous art. And I am glad the Indian FP community is doing it's part to enable business and open the market further.

Apologies if this sounded like a rant, but I needed to get this off my chest.

Best wishes,

Rahul G

Manoj is getting more and more known among the people who appreciate fountain pens. A reputations is long to build but, Fosfor, is advancing at giant steps.

I have received my sandalwood costum made pen from him. I am preparing the review for soon.

I absolutely agree on the lack of retail platforms for all the above mentioned pen makers. Not to forget Guider, as well.

Don't apologize. many think as you do, and absolutely agree.

But indian pen makers are fast in reacting. Things are changing. They slowly manage to get all the credit, for what they do, and not let them be swallowed by some "conquerors".

I just hope indian pen makers do not loose their soul, their typical indian pen design, which makes them so recognizable, by trying to meet occidental modern design expectations. Both designs are valuable, and have a market for.

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

I just hope indian pen makers do not lose their soul, their typical indian pen design, which makes them so recognizable, by trying to meet occidental modern design expectations. Both designs are valuable, and have a market for.

This is an important consideration, I agree.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I'm not a fan of anything about this one. The material looks like recycled crayons. The section and nib are way too tiny for the pen, and the step down to the section may as well be Niagara Falls.

I'm sure it is quality, but it is not for me.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I'm not a fan of anything about this one. The material looks like recycled crayons. The section and nib are way too tiny for the pen, and the step down to the section may as well be Niagara Falls.

I'm sure it is quality, but it is not for me.

To each his own, I guess. The stepdown isn't as bad as it looks. Fosfor has other designs which might fancy you