Can Anyone Recommend Some Gold Toned Inks?

merrycitrine

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a gold toned ink that won't be too light on paper. I have seen someone using a nice golden metallic-looking ink but I wasn't courageous enough to ask :P

I have seen the swatches for golden brown by Noodler's and Diamine and love these colors! But I was wondering if you could recommend some gold inks that are not so brown, and maybe easily available? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• merrycitrine

• Pira

• Sandy1

• stonezebra

Hi,

Kindly consider Private Reserve Shoreline Gold.

As I don't favour Yellow-leaning Browns, I found it a bit awkward. Yet it is indispensable for blending with Magenta to produce 'Illegal Lipstick'.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Another one to maybe have a look at is KWZI IG Mandarin -- starts out orange, oxidizes to a golden brown color. Yum.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wow, thanks very much! Private Reserve shoreline gold resembles Diamine's Autumn Oak which I have. Both are lovely colors.

Thanks for your comparison Pira, that helps a lot!

Thanks everyone!

I will check out all these colors :D

It's a bit hard to find, but my favorite in terms of legible golden yellow is Sheaffer's King's Gold. You can sometimes find it on eBay.

King's gold is gorgeous! Has it been discontinued?

Sadly, yes. Sheaffer moved their ink production to Slovenia and some of the '90s-era colors—Grey, Burgundy, Lavender, King's Gold—were completely discontinued. They picked up pink and orange in cartridge-only, though, which was nice. (The pink is especially great.) They do have a new cartridge-only gold, but I haven't tried it, as it looks lighter. They've also done away with Peacock Blue and replaced it with Turquoise, which is slightly bluer.

Wow, thanks very much! Private Reserve shoreline gold resembles Diamine's Autumn Oak which I have. Both are lovely colors.

Thanks for your comparison Pira, that helps a lot!

Thanks everyone!

I will check out all these colors :D

Actually I had also added Diamine's Autumn Oak at the bottom, but it was so much darker than the Shoreline Gold that I didn't think it fit into your list of requirements. Seeing as you already have it though, I thought you should know.

:) ...and you're welcome.

Edited by Pira

@Blackhorse I must try that sometime, its beautiful!

@swanjun, thats sad! I would have loved to try peacock blue, lavender too

@Sandy, you should get on the swatch making business so I can see this mix! xD

@Pira :D

Oh and after doing a bit of research, I think the color I saw resembled Iroshizuku's Ina ho or Sailor's shinkaichi gold (thanks @visvamitra!). I believe Noodler's Rome Burning and Diamine's Wagner, KWZI Mandarin (gorgeous! @inkstainedruth)

are similar! Unfortunately, Rome Burning is not very well behaved and Sailor, Diamine Wagner are hard to find. I have never heard of KWZI before and it seems hard to find? Maybe I'll order Ina ho off amazon. But I haven't used most of the colors explored here and they gave me a lot more options! Wish shoreline gold was still produced!

Also considering getting De Atrementis gold, but it seems kind of light for everyday writing, so probably for titles/highlighting?

Edited by merrycitrine

Btw, as a newbie, I am a bit scared of using iron gall inks such as KWZI. Has anyone faced problems with clogging/staining?

S King's Gold was fab...<sigh> but may I second the recommendation for KWZI's Old Gold? KWZI Old Gold has taken up permanent residence in one of my pens. It's not an IG ink (though I believe there is an IG Gold, not sure, check list) I have also been enjoying KWZI Green Gold from the last group buy and JH Ambre de Birmandie (a more orangey/yellowy gold than the KWZI's) for about a year.

I really like KWZI Old Gold. Btw, where can I buy KWZI ink? I tried doing a search but not much comes up.

I have never heard of KWZI before and it seems hard to find? Maybe I'll order Ina ho off amazon. But I haven't used most of the colors explored here and they gave me a lot more options! Wish shoreline gold was still produced!

Also considering getting De Atrementis gold, but it seems kind of light for everyday writing, so probably for titles/highlighting?

*snaps fingers* ....I hadn't considered Ina-ho. J That is much more legible for everyday writing than De Atramentis Gold. The nice dark undertone in it makes it jump better off the page.... :)

I really like KWZI Old Gold. Btw, where can I buy KWZI ink? I tried doing a search but not much comes up.

KWZI ink is made by Konrad in Poland. You can go to his website or contact him via PM here on FPN. There have been several 'group buys' of his ink via folks on FPN but he also sells it directly. There's also a full list of the his inks here.

*snaps fingers* ....I hadn't considered Ina-ho. J That is much more legible for everyday writing than De Atramentis Gold. The nice dark undertone in it makes it jump better off the page.... :)

Its a gorgeous color indeed! (Depending on a person's taste I suppose :P Some people complain its ugly).

KWZI ink is made by Konrad in Poland. You can go to his website or contact him via PM here on FPN. There have been several 'group buys' of his ink via folks on FPN but he also sells it directly. There's also a full list of the his inks here.

Thanks for the info! I am definitely keeping an eye out for the next group buy. I need me some of that Old Gold.