New To Fps But I Love Me Some Ink! (Hailing From S Florida)

uberneko

hi all!

i'm a south florida resident, newly reacquainted with calligraphy and potted inks. waaay back in high school i had fiddled around with calligraphy. at Uni, a course on Illustration introduced me to the joys of ink and nibs.

i've dabbled off and on with drawing in inks but never with actual fountain pens. which might become a new love. i'm on the verge! lol

PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---currently own:

1. one lonely Sheaffer med nib FP.

*(silver cap, acrylic body in what i like to refer to as "blacklight purple", thin body, small, requires posting). it writes like an absolute champ. tho the ink tends to feather a bit on cheap paper, it is too bold for everyday writing. i have NO clue what the model is, though i would like to. it was purchased back in.... ugh... 1997??? maybe? (i have vague hopes of finding a converter for it and making it a drawing pen. or just using pale, colored inks)

---soon to be in my collection:

1. Pilot Prera, solid, yellow, F nib

2. Pilot Kakuno, pale blue and white, F nib

3. *Pilot Prera Iro-Ai, demonstrator, Calligraphy/Italics nib

4. *Noodler Ahab, flex nib

so i went on a spending (and researching) rampage. lol!! i started with just looking at nibs to add to my collection but then the FPs became a small obsession. the Iro-Ai and the Ahab i haven't officially ordered yet. i'm very interested in inks as well. colors, shaded inks, etc. so far i have a Noodlers waterproof black on the way. artwise, i need something that can stand up to watercolor, dontcha know.

i seem to be showing a bias for Pilot but that isn't really true... was just looking for a pen that fit the needs, didn't break the bank, and that LOOKED NICE. looks aren't everything, but pen that writes beautifully is even better if you like the design. i read/watched reviews and the ones i chose seemed to be good bets.

PEN SHOW!!!!

i'm wondering if i should wait until the Miami pen show......... or if i should go ahead and pull the trigger, so to speak, and order up the last 2. ;)

i'm super interested in refurbed vintage pens, though i'm not sure if any are in the affordable range or if they are all hundreds of dollars.

MISC

i'm really interested in meeting new people from all over. and those that are interested in calligraphy and art uses of FPs. also, if anyone likes to do old school snail mail with their mad callig skillz (haha. or their non-skills. whichever. lol!), i think that could be a fun way to practice!

NICE TO MEET YA! :D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uberneko

• RMN

• notVirtuThe3rd

• Wahl

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome !

In general, my old Sheaffers, including the low-priced, school pens, write well decades later. The Nononsense accepts a converter, but some pens are cartridge only. Most cartridges can be refilled with bottle ink, using a syringe.

"Feathering" is the ink being absorbed rapidly into the paper and spreading through the fibers. Denser paper, and paper with a finish, tends to feather less. When ink feathers less, it dries more slowly, remaining longer on the surface.

Write with joy.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi! Welcome to FPN. :W2FPN:

I'm really glad you've joined us.

Enjoy!

Best wishes from Japan,

VirtuThe3rd

Hi! Welcome to FPN. :W2FPN:

I'm really glad you've joined us.

Enjoy!

Best wishes from Japan,

VirtuThe3rd

Hi! Randomly, I came across your YouTube channel while looking at ink reviews and such. Lol Recognized your name from here but the pic confirmed it.

Welcome !

In general, my old Sheaffers, including the low-priced, school pens, write well decades later. The Nononsense accepts a converter, but some pens are cartridge only. Most cartridges can be refilled with bottle ink, using a syringe.

When ink feathers less, it dries more slowly, remaining longer on the surface.

Now I feel a little more proud about my old little cheapo Schaeffer. :)

it is a good little pen. The ink is the sticking point... how does one tell if the pen will accept a converter? Should the inside look a certain way? Do you know of any pics online that I could compare to? As far as I know, there is only one converter size and it is on Amazon.

Oh, I had no idea that feathering is on the opposite side from dry time. I thought they were unconnected. Good to know!

Hello and welcome to FPN

Waiting or not, a penshow is always something to do. You get the chance to see many different pens, old and new and use some hands-on.

Even if you don't buy it's a learning experience

Enjoy the forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Waiting or not, a penshow is always something to do. You get the chance to see many different pens, old and new and use some hands-on.

Even if you don't buy it's a learning experience

I'm really interested in flex nibbed pens, for script calligraphy and for drawing... how/where would be the best place to get educated on that? or on vintage pens?

i know that there is a LOT i probably don't know, more than i even suspect, so i'd like to get started. and hopefully know enough so that i could buy what i really am looking for at the show.

the forums are so huge it is a little daunting.

and i have gone to some of the external sites for pen refurbishers i've seen mentioned here. *a little overwhelmed*

:W2FPN: Do visit the Penshow, talk with the dealers, you will find vintage pens of all prices. Take your time before you buy.

I'm really interested in flex nibbed pens, for script calligraphy and for drawing... how/where would be the best place to get educated on that? or on vintage pens?

i know that there is a LOT i probably don't know, more than i even suspect, so i'd like to get started. and hopefully know enough so that i could buy what i really am looking for at the show.

the forums are so huge it is a little daunting.

and i have gone to some of the external sites for pen refurbishers i've seen mentioned here. *a little overwhelmed*

Flex pens require a special skill. I call it 3D writing. Normal writing is in one plane, on 2 axis, N-S and E-W. But for flex writing you also have to move Up and Down, give more or less pressure.

I do not have that skill, if I write with a flex pen I will get some accidental line variation but not the deliberate artworks some can make. I like to write with an italic nib, a shaped nib. That way I can get a neat linevariation in my writing.

You must realise that real vintage flex nibs are rare and EXTREMELY expensive, although you may have a lucky find. So before you spend a small fortune on a vintage flex nib, and possibly ruin the nib by maltreatment, go to our calligraphy forums and look around. And then start with a modern somewhat flex nib. If then you find out this is for you, then go get your wallet...

D.ick

~

~

Hello and a warm welcome to you

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Flex pens require a special skill. I call it 3D writing. Normal writing is in one plane, on 2 axis, N-S and E-W. But for flex writing you also have to move Up and Down, give more or less pressure.

I do not have that skill, if I write with a flex pen I will get some accidental line variation but not the deliberate artworks some can make. I like to write with an italic nib, a shaped nib. That way I can get a neat linevariation in my writing.

You must realise that real vintage flex nibs are rare and EXTREMELY expensive, although you may have a lucky find. So before you spend a small fortune on a vintage flex nib, and possibly ruin the nib by maltreatment, go to our calligraphy forums and look around. And then start with a modern somewhat flex nib. If then you find out this is for you, then go get your wallet...

D.ick

Ah, noted. (with regard to 3D writing.) I have heard people talk about the extra skill needed, and the ability to kill their nibs dead through accidental misuse.

What would be a modern somewhat flex nib pen, if you don't mind me asking? Can you toss a few models out there or link me to a discussion about this? I'd like to know what to look for so I can purchase something in the near future.

Otherwise I'm just looking at a Noodler's Ahab or Konrad... though they seem to be fiddly and need adjustment... and flex nib lovers say it is not a "true" flex nib and can make you form bad habits with regard to calligraphy. (We'll see if any of the somewhat flex nibs are affordable! Hopefully they are!)

Thank you for your time in commenting! :)

:W2FPN: Do visit the Penshow, talk with the dealers, you will find vintage pens of all prices. Take your time before you buy.

Will do! Hopefully they will even let me try some out? *holds breath* lol

Ah, noted. (with regard to 3D writing.) I have heard people talk about the extra skill needed, and the ability to kill their nibs dead through accidental misuse.

What would be a modern somewhat flex nib pen, if you don't mind me asking? Can you toss a few models out there or link me to a discussion about this? I'd like to know what to look for so I can purchase something in the near future.

Otherwise I'm just looking at a Noodler's Ahab or Konrad... though they seem to be fiddly and need adjustment... and flex nib lovers say it is not a "true" flex nib and can make you form bad habits with regard to calligraphy. (We'll see if any of the somewhat flex nibs are affordable! Hopefully they are!)

Thank you for your time in commenting! :)

Indeed the Noodlers pens with a flex nib, those are reasonably priced. Some Nibtechnicians (nibmasters) also change normal nibs to flex, but that is costly too.

The Pilot/Namiki Falcon nib is suitable for this.

As I am not into flex nibs I can't specifically direct you. Go to the calligraphy forums, and the "of nibs and tines" forum, look around and ask there. The welcome-forum is not suited for lengthy discussions.

Good luck

D.ick

~

~

As I am not into flex nibs I can't specifically direct you. Go to the calligraphy forums, and the "of nibs and tines" forum, look around and ask there. The welcome-forum is not suited for lengthy discussions.

Thanks! I'll head over there.