Pelikan 100N In Numbers

rustynib

Hi Pelikan experts,

Please help - what are/mean the numbers in my gray 100N (the 2599) ?

Thanks,

rusty

post-1784-0-71670500-1433612391_thumb.jpg

Edited by rustynib

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• piscov

• duran

• rustynib

• sargetalon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know but it's a real nice looking pen.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That is a beautiful looking pen Rusty. I'm sorry to say that I don't have an answer for you as to what that number means. Hopefully somebody with a little more insight might be able to chime in. For what it's worth, I've not seen this previously on other 100N's but I'm also not as well acquainted with that model as I am with some others. Just guessing here but perhaps it was some kind of number engraved for identification purposes post-purchase? I hope you get to figure it out but it may be one of those unsolvable mysteries. Regardless, enjoy that beautiful pen.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I´ve seen other pens with numbers engraved in the exact same place( Pelikan 120 and Pelikan 101N)

Check this link for another example.

As for what the numbers mean I have no clue, but they are original from Pelikan.

Um abraço!

Vasco

Best regards
Vasco

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Avatar/simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

I don´t think so, but it´s possible, but why put serial number in pens that were mass produced and where most of them don´t have any number?

But maybe a serial Number for a specific and small market ( a country)?? or a internal code reflecting parts used ( nib type, size, colour)???

Edited by piscov

Best regards
Vasco

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Avatar/simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

I don´t think so, but it´s possible, but why put serial number in pens that were mass produced and were most of them don´t have any number?

But maybe a seria Numberl for a specific and small market ( a country)?? or a internal code reflecting parts used ( nib type, size, colour)???

I meant the second one - maybe it's prototype part no.

I´ve seen other pens with numbers engraved in the exact same place( Pelikan 120 and Pelikan 101N)

I can't explain the numbers on the 100N or 101N but the engravings on the 120 I can explain. The 120 engravings were placed so that children, parents, and school teachers could identify whose pen belonged to whom. When all the pens looked alike, they needed a way to identify them and a unique numbered engraving is how they chose to do it. I wrote about it here.

For this example, a serial number would seem less likely. Why label some pens and not others? Same issue if it's a part number and, if it were, why put it in such a conspicuous spot? I don't know if we'll ever have a great answer but it is a very interesting mystery.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Hi Joshua,

Excellent article on your webpage! Congratulations.

Maybe the same reason can be applied here... in fact a mystery yet to be solved!

Best regards
Vasco

Gary Lehrer actually has one for sale among his catalogues, at present, and it, too, has a four-digit number engraved on the barrel -- and he asked exactly the same question.

BTW: lovely-looking pen! (but your nib doesn't look rusty!) ;^)

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

Hello All .

Thanks for the messages, inputs and the clues/ideas.

As Vasco noted "...in fact a mystery yet to be solved... " !

We will do more further readings are in order ! :)

And ...

thanks for the greetings about the pen.

rusty