Are Fountain Pens Now Considered "contraband" In India?

Sudhir

Are fountain pens now considered "contraband" in India? Does one need an import licence to order FPs for personal use?

I recently had a very singular experience.

I ordered a Pilot 823 and a couple of bottles of Iroshizuku ink from a Japanese online retailer, paid through PayPal and the package was shipped.

As the package seemed stuck at the Japanese end beyond a reasonable time, I contacted the retailer again and was shocked with this response:

"I confirm your parcel and found that the parcel is on hold in Japan.

The reason is that a fountain pen is a contraband in India.

However, a fountain pen is conditional contraband.

I heard that if you can get the import permit from "Chief Controller of Imports and Exports New Delhi", you can import it.

We are sorry we did not know that a fountain pen is a contraband in India.

Would it be possible to get the import permit?"

I replied as below:

"I was not aware that a fountain pen is "conditional contraband" in India. I have ordered online from several retailers including one other retailer in Japan; but I have never had this issue before.

As far as I understand, an import permit is required only when items are being imported for commercial use and sale - and not required when ordered for personal use.

So, I request you to please check if the pen can be shipped without the licence."

And the response was as below:

"I confirmed details to the post office, but it is not allowed without distinction of the commercial or personal use. So the license is needed in both cases.

They told me that they are obeying with the contraband list of customs of India.

And Regarding the past case that you purchased the fountain pen from Japan, the clerk of the post office is guessing it was by chance.

In addition, even if the parcel can pass through the departure process in Japan like in that way, it has a risk of confiscation at Indian customs.

We really regret to say that we cannot help you.

We are sorry."

Thereafter, on my request, the retailer canceled the transaction and issued an immediate refund through PayPal.

So I have to clarify that the entire transaction was very smooth and the interaction with the retailer was very pleasant, with frequent mail updates about the order.

My question is to FPNers from India and even other countries:

I have heard of parcels being held up in customs - even experienced it myself.

But never has the office of origin held back a package.

Has anyone had a similar experience while ordering from Japan - or any other country - for that matter?

Would love to hear your thoughts/comments/opinions as this will have a big impact on me ordering from other countries.

Thanks and appreciate your patience in reading this somewhat long post.

Cheers

Sudhir

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dhruv_Sood

• mehandiratta

• Frank C

• maverink

Thanks for the update... My pen ordered from j subculture is also pending for past 15 days... I will wait 5 to 6 more days then will check with seller... Also i have noted that if you order from China and Europe they arrive safely...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Hi Sudhir,

I was also shocked to read your post. It was never the case so far as I know. May be the Japan post of right regarding the inks being in liquid form(airlines not allow them to be shipped by air).

Even today I did a little research and could not find any sort of pen mentioned in the list of items prohibited for import into India. Only the precious metals (barring samples of Gold and studded jewelry) are prohibited.

I know a few people who have ordered and received pens and spares from foreign lands including Japan. Only inks are difficult to be sent or received as they are in liquid form.

Perhaps other learned fellow FPN members would be able to shed some light.

best.

I have received ink from India many times, and neither me nor my contact even thought of a problem regarding the ink. It was always packaged in original bottles, often in original box. The last such shipment arrived this past week: seven 60ml bottles of Daytone ink from Bangalore. Thanks Mesu! And I'm so glad they did because that ink is fantastic.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Are fountain pens now considered "contraband" in India? Does one need an import licence to order FPs for personal use?

I recently had a very singular experience.

I ordered a Pilot 823 and a couple of bottles of Iroshizuku ink from a Japanese online retailer, paid through PayPal and the package was shipped.

As the package seemed stuck at the Japanese end beyond a reasonable time, I contacted the retailer again and was shocked with this response:

"I confirm your parcel and found that the parcel is on hold in Japan.

The reason is that a fountain pen is a contraband in India.

However, a fountain pen is conditional contraband.

I heard that if you can get the import permit from "Chief Controller of Imports and Exports New Delhi", you can import it.

We are sorry we did not know that a fountain pen is a contraband in India.

Would it be possible to get the import permit?"

I replied as below:

"I was not aware that a fountain pen is "conditional contraband" in India. I have ordered online from several retailers including one other retailer in Japan; but I have never had this issue before.

As far as I understand, an import permit is required only when items are being imported for commercial use and sale - and not required when ordered for personal use.

So, I request you to please check if the pen can be shipped without the licence."

And the response was as below:

"I confirmed details to the post office, but it is not allowed without distinction of the commercial or personal use. So the license is needed in both cases.

They told me that they are obeying with the contraband list of customs of India.

And Regarding the past case that you purchased the fountain pen from Japan, the clerk of the post office is guessing it was by chance.

In addition, even if the parcel can pass through the departure process in Japan like in that way, it has a risk of confiscation at Indian customs.

We really regret to say that we cannot help you.

We are sorry."

Thereafter, on my request, the retailer canceled the transaction and issued an immediate refund through PayPal.

So I have to clarify that the entire transaction was very smooth and the interaction with the retailer was very pleasant, with frequent mail updates about the order.

My question is to FPNers from India and even other countries:

I have heard of parcels being held up in customs - even experienced it myself.

But never has the office of origin held back a package.

Has anyone had a similar experience while ordering from Japan - or any other country - for that matter?

Would love to hear your thoughts/comments/opinions as this will have a big impact on me ordering from other countries.

Thanks and appreciate your patience in reading this somewhat long post.

Cheers

Sudhir

This appears to be true as per the advisory issued by India post to Japan post, thus fountain pens are on the negative list for export from Japan without an import license from buyer. I m sure this is amistake, but it is there and many Post offices in Japan do check this list and refuse to accept pens if they are addressed to India.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

and on top of that if you try to place order on global rakuten for fountain pens.

they dont accept it because of the above said reasons....

vaibhav mehandiratta

I completely understand this, after all, "the pen is mightier than the sword."

Just remember what Ghandi did with a spinning wheel and some salt.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Hi,

I ordered Iroshizuku inks last month from Japan and got them in 11 days without any hassle, had to pay custom duties though but i take that as a learning experience on how to avoid them.

Anyway, getting back to your problem, you and i ordered the inks at the same time and whereas i got them, you didn't. What you need to know is that inks cannot be sent via post because they are in liquid form and that can cause problems, although i don't know what problems. What my seller did was that he made a MSDS, which is needed to be attached to any liquid sent via post to probably say that the liquid is safe or something along the same lines. Check whether the seller made that.

As for the Fountain pen, got my Nakaya barely 2 hours ago. It passed through customs in less than an hour as per the tracking.

If the seller is comfortable, why not use DHL?

Edited by Dhruv_Sood

Japanese sellers are playing it safe since the buyer can claim a refund if the package is stuck in customs indefinitely.

See the translated Japan post reference: FPs are conditional acceptable, which is technically correct since almost any import in India needs a license. Definition of a personal import as per CBC&E is quite vague and can be treated as a commercial import on the discretion of the customs officer.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-kokusai/nonmailable_articles.php%3Fp%3D3%26cid%3D101&prev=search

In other words, India discourages imports(if you still want to import, one has to get an import license, so that the duties etc are correctly collected). That is why there is a very high customs duty of the order of 33%. Which is why EMS speedpost international centre has thousands of parcels held there, anyone who has visited that place will agree.

Same can be seen on Canada post website reg parcels to India:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=IN

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hi,

I ordered Iroshizuku inks last month from Japan and got them in 11 days without any hassle, had to pay custom duties though but i take that as a learning experience on how to avoid them.

Anyway, getting back to your problem, you and i ordered the inks at the same time and whereas i got them, you didn't. What you need to know is that inks cannot be sent via post because they are in liquid form and that can cause problems, although i don't know what problems. What my seller did was that he made a MSDS, which is needed to be attached to any liquid sent via post to probably say that the liquid is safe or something along the same lines. Check whether the seller made that.

As for the Fountain pen, got my Nakaya barely 2 hours ago. It passed through customs in less than an hour as per the tracking.

If the seller is comfortable, why not use DHL?

Dhruv ... I need to see your nakaya....

please... show us the pic....

vaibhav mehandiratta

I have just been told the same by a Japanese pen seller.

I have got a Muji Moma Round Aluminium FP (from a different seller) on order, so keeping fingers crossed for it.

Is there any Platinum pen dealer in India? Looking for a #3776 Century.

Btw: Does anyone in the Delhi NCR have a spare unused bottle of Iroshizuku?

Edited by Sarkari

I have just been told the same by a Japanese pen seller.

I have got a Muji Moma Round Aluminium FP (from a different seller) on order, so keeping fingers crossed for it.

Is there any Platinum pen dealer in India? Looking for a #3776 Century.

Btw: Does anyone in the Delhi NCR have a spare unused bottle of Iroshizuku?

Dhruv_Sood has it

vaibhav mehandiratta

This is a Jan 2000 list - a very old list that mentions restrictions on FPs, BPs, inks etc

http://commerce.nic.in/publications/india_wto_newsletter.asp?link=newsletter_jan2000.htm&id=

But if there are issues in import even for personal use, then

Perhaps we should use the online facility to write to our PM

http://pmindia.gov.in/en/interact-with-honble-pm/

Even he uses a Mont Blanc.

Edited by anup

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Dhruv_Sood has it

Dhruv_Sood, do you have a spare Iroshizuku? I would like to get it. I am based in south Delhi.

This is shocking. I have never had a problem, though on one occasion had been subject to customs duty by the post office. Who is the retailer concerned? At least we can avoid the hassle by not ordering with them

Thanks for the update... My pen ordered from j subculture is also pending for past 15 days... I will wait 5 to 6 more days then will check with seller... Also i have noted that if you order from China and Europe they arrive safely...

do keep us updated on the j sub culture order....by the way which pen is it?

Dhruv ... I need to see your nakaya....

please... show us the pic....

http://i.minus.com/j16Q4r1RfXRQM.JPGhttp://i.minus.com/jR3UKmpQlw1qK.JPGhttp://i.minus.com/j1G5ej8bwelT0.JPGhttp://i.minus.com/jlWtLYg7KjHBf.JPGhttp://i.minus.com/jO6vwQi2ZN4KJ.JPG

I'll be buying Platinum Izumo Yagumonuri sometime in the next 2-3 months. That'll be it for now, won't be buying any new pens for the next 2 years minimum.

Dhruv_Sood, do you have a spare Iroshizuku? I would like to get it. I am based in south Delhi.

I have it, one bottle of Tsuki-yo and one bottle of kon-peki. I am based in south Delhi too.

Or you can also get it from snapdeal, they have a lot more colors than I do but are quite expensive.

Edited by Dhruv_Sood

I'll be buying Platinum Izumo Yagumonuri sometime in the next 2-3 months. That'll be it for now, won't be buying any new pens for the next 2 years minimum.

I have it, one bottle of Tsuki-yo and one bottle of kon-peki. I am based in south Delhi too.

Or you can also get it from snapdeal, they have a lot more colors than I do but are quite expensive.

Wow the pen is awesome and urushi work is well done. How much was the pen

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

The pen was for $550. It has ruthenium clip and ruthenium plated nib.

Initially when I placed the order with the dealer, it was for Neo Standard in kuro-tamenuri finish with fine nib. He didn't have that so he offered me a piccolo long in kuro-tamenuri finish with EF hold nib. When I had paid for it and he checked his stock, the pen was damaged and offered me another pen with 2-tone fine nib without any extra charge or EF ruthenium plated nib. I took the ruthenium one and he absorbed the extra cost.