Pelikan M1000 Medium Nib Too Wet

Adam S

I have a Pelikan M1000 that I love, but I use it seldom because the nib is way too wet. I have other medium German nibs and they're fine. I thought about buying a new nib unit (fine point), but it's something like $500 (the pen is 10 years old).

Suggestions????

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhosea

• ink-syringe

• Wolverine1

• Adam S

Send it to John Mottishaw and ask him to adjust the ink flow. It will be a lot cheaper that buying a new nib unit.

John's website is at: www.nibs.com

I had mine adjusted by Richard Binder years back, but I think most of the top nibmeisters can perform this service. Like Wolverine1 said, this is a lot cheaper than the alternatives. Once adjusted, M1000 are wonderful pens.

$500 for a nib????? :yikes:

Do as others suggest and have it adjusted by someone.

Same experience. Buying a new nib is how I got a too wet medium to go with my too wet broad. Mine are on the way back from Masuyama (Mikeitwork.com). We'll see how it goes.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Same experience. Buying a new nib is how I got a too wet medium to go with my too wet broad. Mine are on the way back from Masuyama (Mikeitwork.com). We'll see how it goes.

Got 'em back today. Yup, Michael Masuyama knows how to adjust the flow on an M1000 nib. It's in my pocket now with the medium nib on, and startup is immediate with normal wetness.

I had an Omas Ogiva nib that was too wet adjusted by Mike Masuyama. He did a wonderful job. But I'm sure most nibmeisters can perform similar wonders. Its much cheaper than buying a new nib assembly. Plus , while they have the pen have them make sure it is writing as smoothly as possible. Its money well spent

Edited by pen tom

I have an M1000 with a wet, medium nib. I have learned to enjoy the large ink volume that goes onto the paper. I just write larger and choose an ink color that is pleasing. I hope you can come to love yours as much as I love mine.

Write with joy.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Since you mentioned replacing the medium with a fine, is the nib too wet, or too broad? You can have a very wet extra-fine, and a dry double-broad. Ink flow and nib size aren't the same thing.

You may wanna try Pelikan blue-black. Notorious for its dryness, but maybe your cure. You know the best thing is they are available for less than 5 bucks and no need to wait.

FWIW, in my case the alternatives to having it adjusted were all unsatisfactory because of the magnitude of the wetness. Post-adjustment it is, I suppose, still in the top 10% or so in wetness for my collection, but it is a normal thing. I think now if I wanted it dryer still, it would make sense to talk about ink selection. Back then, before adjustment, it just wasn't going to work.

That's because the M1000 nib is made of marshmallow. Those nibs are problematic. I am in the minority on this but I think the nib as it is, right out of the box is almost always too wet, often has baby's bottom and some kind of absurd inverse taper that you can drive a truck through and the nib is just plain mushy (M1000 is not springy, that is a myth). I would actually advise anyone buying an M1000 to buy some place where they will let you inspect a bunch and pick one or buy from a nib mister. The M1000 is an odd beast and really needs to be tuned by a nib tech. Esp. the larger size tips. The nib itself is too big, too soft, too polished. I think they were going for bling and not performance. I personally think it is a flawed design and many (if not most) can only be good if they have passed through an expert's hands. The M800 and down can often be great right out of the box (mine was) but the M1000 seems difficult to tame and often needs hand inspection and tuning to be usable.

Send it to a nibber. Meanwhile I'll don my flame resistant suit and wait for the chorus of folks who think I am nuts. But I will to go my grave believing the M1000 is hampered by it's mushy car hood sized bling. Make the nib smaller or 14k or something. I have yet to hold an M1000 that wasn't mushy or blobby over polished or sopping wet, other than ones that were carefully tuned by name nib techs.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

That's because the M1000 nib is made of marshmallow. Those nibs are problematic. I am in the minority on this but I think the nib as it is, right out of the box is almost always too wet, often has baby's bottom and some kind of absurd inverse taper that you can drive a truck through and the nib is just plain mushy (M1000 is not springy, that is a myth). I would actually advise anyone buying an M1000 to buy some place where they will let you inspect a bunch and pick one or buy from a nib mister. The M1000 is an odd beast and really needs to be tuned by a nib tech. Esp. the larger size tips. The nib itself is too big, too soft, too polished. I think they were going for bling and not performance. I personally think it is a flawed design and many (if not most) can only be good if they have passed through an expert's hands. The M800 and down can often be great right out of the box (mine was) but the M1000 seems difficult to tame and often needs hand inspection and tuning to be usable.

Send it to a nibber. Meanwhile I'll don my flame resistant suit and wait for the chorus of folks who think I am nuts. But I will to go my grave believing the M1000 is hampered by it's mushy car hood sized bling. Make the nib smaller or 14k or something. I have yet to hold an M1000 that wasn't mushy or blobby over polished or sopping wet, other than ones that were carefully tuned by name nib techs.

I mostly agree with you, except the marshmallow part. I buy almost all of my Pelikans from nibs.com because they check and adjust the pens before they send them out.

I understand what you mean by the flame-resistant suit; somebody stuck a bunch of pins into your avatar.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I have a bunch of 50s Waterman pens that are springy (other than my genuine full flex pens). A few Sheaffers that are springy, 2 Pelikan 400nns that are springy, even a Platinum 14k standard that is springy. My M1000 is not springy. Not everything that has "give" is "springy," as "spring" implies that it snaps back to its original shape. The M1000 is in no hurry to get back to where it was after pressure is applied. The Pelikan 400nn is like Seattle Supersonics Shawn Kemp. The M1000 is like Portland Trailblazers Shawn Kemp. Drunk, fat and slow.

If i was also drunk and decided to buy another one of these crazy things, I would also buy at nibs.com

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version