The Sterling Pelikan Souverän M625

sannidh

Thank you mudman for your rather generous feedback :)

I know it still doesn't completely answer your question, but I usually clean the pen and other things with a soft cloth before taking the pics !

Thanks, I use a microfiber prior. It must be some kind of static the plastic is retaining somehow.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• Frank C

• Albinoni

• beboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I use a microfiber prior. It must be some kind of static the plastic is retaining somehow.

Soft damp cotton cloth does the job really well for me. Suggest you avoid using microfiber cloths on resin parts (except for polishing) as they can be abrasive (picks up grit/other particles quite easily due to electrostatic nature).

Edited by soniknitr

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

Thank you, beboy !

Too bad :mellow: , but I guess you can still find some of them online..

Thanks, I jut saw your PMs. I am not willing to pay the MSRP of $600+ for this pen anymore, especially for a 14k nib stiff as a nail, but sales at ~$300 on ebay are indeed tempting :)

Anyway, I will wait a couple of month before purchasing a new pen over $150 and I will get a vintage Pelikan 400 before getting a 625.

Very nice review and excellent photos. Thank you so much for sharing. This is one of the pens on my list for when I hit the lottery.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Nice review of a wonderful pen. I liked the photography as well. The 625 is somewhat unique in Pelikan's line-up and I've always admired them for that. I just wish that they were more affordable. Enjoy your pen.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Very nice review and excellent photos. Thank you so much for sharing. This is one of the pens on my list for when I hit the lottery.

Thank you for spending time on the review. I do agree, it took me a year to decide on the same :D

Best,

Sonik

Nice review of a wonderful pen. I liked the photography as well. The 625 is somewhat unique in Pelikan's line-up and I've always admired them for that. I just wish that they were more affordable. Enjoy your pen.

Thank you sargetalon :). I saw your website..loved it. I agree, and this pen never disappointed me. :)

Regards,

Sonik

Thanks for the review. I have long liked this pen. I have purchased several over the years and also the matching ballpoint—mostly to lend to people so I don't have to let them use my fountain pens.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thanks for the review. I have long liked this pen. I have purchased several over the years and also the matching ballpoint—mostly to lend to people so I don't have to let them use my fountain pens.

Thank you Frank. :) Same here, most of my colleagues also become curious when they see an fp. Then they ask for a pen they get an uniball signo or something ;) . I know it's like a samurai lending his sword to cut grass :P . I love the blue m625 ballpoint, quite an enticing design !

Btw, were you able to get your lamy dialog fixed ?

Edited by soniknitr

Thank you Frank. :) Same here, most of my colleagues also become curious when they see an fp. Then they ask for a pen they get an uniball signo or something ;) . I know it's like a samurai lending his sword to cut grass :P . I love the blue m625 ballpoint, quite an enticing design !

Btw, were you able to get your lamy dialog fixed ?

It's still sitting in the pen cup. I have to send out some Pilots—they were dropped—they're my everyday work pens. I also dropped an Aurora 88 and broke the finial at work. And then the Lamy Dialog. I think that our very hard water—lots of dissolved minerals—did it in.

Whenever a Samurai pulled his sword, blood had to be spilled. Even if he had to cut his own finger.

I often let people use my fountain pens. Most of the daily users have nail-like nibs that can't be damaged, easily. I do caution people not to press hard. Once I only had a Montblanc with me. A woman asked if I had a pen. I said, yes. She asked if she could borrow it. I said, no. With a look of puzzlement and disgust, she turned around and stalked away without allowing me any explanation. Short-tempered people like her aren't suited to using fountain pens.

Getting back on-topic. The Pelikan 625s have a springy nib as is typical for Pelikans. As such, when I saw the ballpoint on ebay, I jumped on it. The perfect companion for a gorgeous fountain pen.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

It's still sitting in the pen cup. I have to send out some Pilots—they were dropped—they're my everyday work pens. I also dropped an Aurora 88 and broke the finial at work. And then the Lamy Dialog. I think that our very hard water—lots of dissolved minerals—did it in.

Whenever a Samurai pulled his sword, blood had to be spilled. Even if he had to cut his own finger.

I often let people use my fountain pens. Most of the daily users have nail-like nibs that can't be damaged, easily. I do caution people not to press hard. Once I only had a Montblanc with me. A woman asked if I had a pen. I said, yes. She asked if she could borrow it. I said, no. With a look of puzzlement and disgust, she turned around and stalked away without allowing me any explanation. Short-tempered people like her aren't suited to using fountain pens.

Getting back on-topic. The Pelikan 625s have a springy nib as is typical for Pelikans. As such, when I saw the ballpoint on ebay, I jumped on it. The perfect companion for a gorgeous fountain pen.

I am at a loss of words for the long list of damaged pens :crybaby: .

And, you are right, blood has to be spilled either way :D (either the pen or your mind or both). I hate myself when I lend a pen to people who are usually at peace with ball-points (including my cousins). Be it when they try to pull a cap with a screw fit or push the pen inside the cap with a dangerous position of the nib on the cap edges.

Not sure if anybody else feels the same way ! :wacko:

I only lend twsbi or a steel nibbed one if anyone is persistent, else I face the same disgust (with a rather muted explanation of not lending fountain pens). And I do lend my complete support on the MB incident :D

Guess you are right on the nib thing...Consistently springy. I will get a ballpoint of the 625 series I guess :)

Edited by soniknitr

I am at a loss of words for the long list of damaged pens :crybaby: .

And, you are right, blood has to be spilled either way :D (either the pen or your mind or both). I hate myself when I lend a pen to people who are usually at peace with ball-points (including my cousins). Be it when they try to pull a cap with a screw fit or push the pen inside the cap with a dangerous position of the nib on the cap edges.

Not sure if anybody else feels the same way ! :wacko:

I only lend twsbi or a steel nibbed one if anyone is persistent, else I face the same disgust (with a rather muted explanation of not lending fountain pens). And I do lend my complete support on the MB incident :D

Guess you are right on the nib thing...Consistently springy. I will get a ballpoint of the 625 series I guess :)

Don't worry to much about the damaged pens. I use fountain pens at work and often drop them on the hard floors. This is just the price of doing business. I failed to mention my Sailor Black Luster with an EF nib. It also fell nib first onto a hard floor. That one will either have to go to a nib turner for straightening or Sailor for a new nib. I haven't decided, yet. I once sent about twenty Pilots to Pilot USA. It was several year's worth of damaged pens. They repaired, replaced or fixed everyone of them, without charge. Now that is Customer Service!

My sister was staying with me for a while. She was on the phone and wanted to write something down. She went through about 10 fountain pens trying to find one she could "click" open. I handed her a pencil. She is not the fountain pen type. I keep a bunch of Platinum Preppies in my locker at the hospital. if someone is interested in fountain pens, I give them one, along with a box of cartridges. After that, I offer advice on getting a nicer pen, paper, ink, etc. When they "graduate" from my program, they get a bottle of ink, a Pilot Metropolitan, or a Lamy Safari.

Actually, any old ballpoint or roller ball will do, but the 625 ballpoints are gorgeous!

Edited by Frank C

Don't worry to much about the damaged pens. I use fountain pens at work and often drop them on the hard floors. This is just the price of doing business. I failed to mention my Sailor Black Luster with an EF nib. It also fell nib first onto a hard floor. That one will either have to go to a nib turner for straightening or Sailor for a new nib. I haven't decided, yet. I once sent about twenty Pilots to Pilot USA. It was several year's worth of damaged pens. They repaired, replaced or fixed everyone of them, without charge. Now that is Customer Service!

My sister was staying with me for a while. She was on the phone and wanted to write something down. She went through about 10 fountain pens trying to find one she could "click" open. I handed her a pencil. She is not the fountain pen type. I keep a bunch of Platinum Preppies in my locker at the hospital. if someone is interested in fountain pens, I give them one, along with a box of cartridges. After that, I offer advice on getting a nicer pen, paper, ink, etc. When they "graduate" from my program, they get a bottle of ink, a Pilot Metropolitan, or a Lamy Safari.

Actually, any old ballpoint or roller ball will do, but the 625 ballpoints are gorgeous!

Wow that's some Japanese customer service we would like to have with Sailor too :). Very happy for you.

Ha ha, I actually hand over the twsbi pencil, to people who ask for a pen. I rarely am able to keep a ball-point pen on my desk and keep losing them to borrowers :D. The idea of an inventory of preppies as a giveaway for people to graduate in the fp world is very meaningful. 625 yeah ! drop dead gorgeous !!

It's always good to have some inexpensive pens or pencils around when one carries a nice fountain pen, like an M625.

• 2 weeks later...

Frank one quick question - Do you notice any oxidation of the SS parts on your older m625s? I guess mine is pretty new for anything noticeable. Though Pelikan Customer service confirmed a layer of palladium plating on the silver hardware to prevent oxidation.

Best,

Sonik

SS is stainless steel in the usual parlance. :) maybe we should adopt StS or something else for sterling silver.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

SS is stainless steel in the usual parlance. :) maybe we should adopt StS or something else for sterling silver.

Oops, I never realised this :D

Can we adopt something starkly different like the composition instead? Ag925 ?

The abbreviations come very close if we take the name :)

Frank one quick question - Do you notice any oxidation of the SS parts on your older m625s? I guess mine is pretty new for anything noticeable. Though Pelikan Customer service confirmed a layer of palladium plating on the silver hardware to prevent oxidation.

Best,

Sonik

I have not seen any tarnish on the M625s. My other silver pens all tarnish.