The Sterling Pelikan Souverän M625

sannidh

And again an earthly sinful living being :puddle: gave in to all his desires and bought another enchanting piece of writing instrument.

Also replicated the content with additional pictures in my blog, as the images are/will be reduced to a small thumbnail after a short-while by the image hosting service. Happy reading ! Below is a link to the same:

The Sterling Pelikan Souverän m625

As you might already know, Pelikan as a company encompasses a rich heritage of 180 years – in manufacturing inks, pens and stationery (177 years to be exact, you can find a bit of history in a previous post and here). In 1929, it released its first transparent Pelikan fountain pen and was credited with the genesis of the piston-filling mechanism, using a differential spindle gear. However, the first of the silvery m625 models does not come until the next 77 years go by wlEmoticon-snail%255B1%255D-798330.png.

M625

Pelikan launched the Souverän m625 model in 2006, which constituted of a dark blue resin barrel with rest of the visible hardware - i.e cap, piston knob and grip section, carved out of sterling silver (92.5% silver + 7.5% copper giving the required strength while preserving appearance of the noble metal). It was later followed by an aubergine model and a red model with two variations in the cap section. These had a 18k rhodium plated gold nib. Later, they also released a limited batch of m625s with a red barrel and a 14k nib, for the Asian market.

The pen comes in a standard G15 gift box, essentially the same packaging as all the other standard souverän models.

DESIGN (6/6)

It's an amazingly stunning pen encompassed in a standard souverän series design. Closed, the sterling silver cap and the piston knob dazzle with ambient reflections, while the barrel awaits light to bedazzle you.

Once exposed to the visible spectrum, a play of light reveals the inside mechanism like a demonstrator. And it's definitely more spectacular to the eyes than it is to the lenses.

The barrel is made up of high grade translucent resin and is resistant to scratches in course of normal use. There is also a thin palladium coating on the sterling silver parts to avoid staining of the pen with time. This was confirmed by the Pelikan team.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/m625/pelm625%20002_zpsro9rdxyp.jpg

On unscrewing the cap, you will instantly notice a resonance in design with a glittering grip section wholly carved out of sterling silver, along with a rhodium plated nib. So there is either reflection or refraction of ambient light, rendering the m625 with its characteristic trait. The silvery metallic grip is quite comfortable to hold and does not feel slippery, adjoining the barrel with threads for securing the cap.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/m625/pelm625%20004_zpsvyvlrkoy.jpg

Twirls engraved around the sterling silver cap run on its surface gleaming with all possible proximate imagery. A few swirls end near the middle, where Ag 925 is etched in between, granting a somewhat finality of trust to the glitter show.The logo on the finial is the one embraced by Pelikan post 2003, that of a mother pelican and a chick, in a brushed silver finish. At the base, imbibed are the words PELIKAN SOUVERÄN GERMANY, which is common across the range of souverän series. The absence of any differential aesthetics in the cap drives the inherent singularity in appearance.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/m625/1-Cap2_zpszdjywgpt.jpg

FILLING SYSTEM (6/6)

A piston filler with a sterling silver knob surely distinguishes the m625 from other models in the range. Apart from enchanting looks, like any other pelikan, it's an easy and hassle-free mechanism. The piston end unscrews with three to four rotations and ink is sucked in, with quite a gush, once the piston is screwed back on. And of course, you can observe the entire thing in action.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/m625/1-Piston_zpsdurysgvm.jpg

NIB (6/6) – ALL THAT MATTERS

The dazzling rhodium plated gold nib with an usual iridium tip is tested by hand, and it comes in four main sizes – EF, F, M & B along one special width – BB (extra-broad). Like all its cousins, the nib is exquisite and efficient. With a screw fit mechanism and a standard m6xx feed, the nib-section is an ensemble of efficiency as well as artistry. And this silvery white finish does converge with the sterling silver grip in terms of both glitter and glimmer. wlEmoticon-star%255B1%255D-720677.png

The tail end specifies the nib-width and composition (14 C, 58.5% Au) of the gold-alloy used. Three arabesques diverge along the shoulders of the nib with two of them converging near the breather hole. The third arabesque runs across the tines towards the shoulders ending with the tail end of the nib. There is of-course the dazzling white mother-baby pelikan logo, resting above the tail. This one is an extra-fine nib and writes smoothly out of the box.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/m625/pelm625%20011_zpspf1dqnci.jpg

PHYSICS OF IT (5/6) – RELATIVELY SPEAKING

It does give a comfortable feel to write with the pen without posting the cap. The overall capped length is around 13.3 cm. The total weight of m625 has a significant contribution from the cap, which is otherwise quite well-balanced. And yes, a substantial cap does make the pen very top-heavy when posted.

Uncapped Length ~ 12.4 cm
Posted Length ~ 15.4 cm
Nib Leverage ~ 2.3 cm
Overall Weight ~ 34 g (Cap Weight ~ 17.5 g)
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/m625/pelm625%20013_zpscecl30yk.jpg

While not posted, a length of 12.4 cm is quite comfortable for writing because of a thicker girth and a substantial weight, due to the metallic grip and piston-knob sections, although the piston mechanism is made up of plastic rather than brass. (common across m6XXs)

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/m625/pelm625%20014_zpse6jw0uaa.jpg

ECONOMIC VALUE (4/6)

Although the m625 retails at excess of USD 700, it is available at lower street prices. I was able to get the pen at a good discounted price in an online action at the bay. I would not undervalue the rating by much, because at the end, the m625 seems more of an art rather than science. As isn't it why we all buy, discuss and share experiences with fountain pens?

OVERALL (5.4/6)

I adore the distinct red translucent design of the m625 which is embraced with the glistening contours of sterling silver. This pen is blessed with a smooth extra-fine (EF) nib which delivers a thin but a very wet line. The line width closely resembles a Pilot 14k-FM nib. For a relatively dry Pelikan Royal Blue ink, it takes around 12-13 seconds to dry. I could not find any line variation with horizontal and vertical strokes for this one. And yes, nib's a nail too, when it comes to flex.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/m625/pelm625%20012_zps8dlyfwz1.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the review. Thank you for your time.

Best,

Sonik

Edited by soniknitr

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• Frank C

• Albinoni

• beboy

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the pen a lot, and thanks for the review, but I'm not sure I would pick one up myself. Funny what goes into making a purchase decision, but I don't think the cap design matches the rest of the pen. It doesn't work for me.

Lovely review and lovely pictures! It's quite a lovely pen, but I doubt I would purchase it. But like you said it's supposed to be art rather than an everyday workhorse.

Very nice review and great photography too, just some questions

1. Does the M625 come in two different colours, red and blue.

2. I'm surprised you said the nib is a nail, I've got an M600 and M800 plus few M200's and 400nn

And most if not all are actually smooth writers especially my M800 which has a beautiful soft nib.

Anyhow thank you for the nice review

I like the pen a lot, and thanks for the review, but I'm not sure I would pick one up myself. Funny what goes into making a purchase decision, but I don't think the cap design matches the rest of the pen. It doesn't work for me.

Thank you delano for going through the review. :)

For me, I just love the design and do completely agree with you, regarding the different appeal of the same design to many of us.

Best,

Sonik

Lovely review and lovely pictures! It's quite a lovely pen, but I doubt I would purchase it. But like you said it's supposed to be art rather than an everyday workhorse.

Many thanks vPro for going through the review and your appreciative words. I have like waited for more than a year to make a purchase decision on this.(as I could certainly not carry it as a workhorse pen unlike the other Mxxx)

Best,

Sonik

Very nice review and great photography too, just some questions

1. Does the M625 come in two different colours, red and blue.

2. I'm surprised you said the nib is a nail, I've got an M600 and M800 plus few M200's and 400nn

And most if not all are actually smooth writers especially my M800 which has a beautiful soft nib.

Anyhow thank you for the nice review

Thank you Albinoni. I have linked the pens below.

1. It comes in three colors - reviewed red one (with cap design in twirls - 18K/14K nib) ; aubergine design (eggplant color, seems pretty close to red, enamel striped cap, 18k nib); dark blue design (blue enamel striped cap, 18k nib)

2. Guess it's a bit confusing. I meant the nib is a nail in terms of flex, else it is the same nib as m600s, it actually writes quite smoothly with a remarkably wet line like all other pelikans

Best,

Sonik

Edited by soniknitr

Nice review! I wanted that pen and I actually ordered it in blue, but I have then been advised by the seller it was discontinued :(

Now the money is gone...

Nice review! I wanted that pen and I actually ordered it in blue, but I have then been advised by the seller it was discontinued :(

Now the money is gone...

Thank you, beboy !

Too bad :mellow: , but I guess you can still find some of them online..

Now the money is gone...

Surely you can get the money back can't you, have you tried eBay.

Excellent review of a stunning pen, as well as great photos! I don't know how you guys manage to snap well lit shots without any dust being on the pen. I can never seem to avoid dust on the pens in my photos.

Excellent review of a stunning pen, as well as great photos! I don't know how you guys manage to snap well lit shots without any dust being on the pen. I can never seem to avoid dust on the pens in my photos.

Thank you mudman for your rather generous feedback :)

I know it still doesn't completely answer your question, but I usually clean the pen and other things with a soft cloth before taking the pics !

Hi Soniknitr,

Many thanks for yet another superb review, complete with measurements, comparisons, and a writing sample. Perfect :thumbup:

I am not a Pelikan man myself and tend to discriminate against metal sections. However, your review has enabled me to gain a better appreciation of this particular model, which I might otherwise have dismissed without thought. Much appreciated.

Pavoni.

Hi Soniknitr,

Many thanks for yet another superb review, complete with measurements, comparisons, and a writing sample. Perfect :thumbup:

I am not a Pelikan man myself and tend to discriminate against metal sections. However, your review has enabled me to gain a better appreciation of this particular model, which I might otherwise have dismissed without thought. Much appreciated.

Pavoni.

Thank you Pavoni, for your generous comments and time to go through review :).

I know you are an MB person :D , and do agree with the fact that metal sections might become uncomfortable in extreme temperatures as opposed to celluloid/resin ones.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Sonik

Edited by soniknitr

Awesome review! Thanks!

Thank you for going through the review. Can you also share the names of the last 2 pens in your display pic :D? Guess the 1st one is a sailor.

Best,

Sonik

Edited by soniknitr