Ink Review: Cult Pens Deep Dark Orange

Chrissy

I'm reviewing some of my inks. Cult Pens Deep Dark Orange was requested by mmg122

I would call it a dark or burnt orange. It's a very well behaved ink with some shading. I found it flowed smoothly across the page, and had no problems with lubrication in the pen I used. It's a very popular colour because it's a dark orange, and isn't too bright.

This ink exhibits no showthrough or bleedthrough on my Tomoe River paper. This paper is slightly thicker than the standard TR paper

DDO is a saturated ink and my fingers were stained after washing my hands.

• The water test on the review form shows this isn't a waterproof ink
  • Bearing in mind the paper I use is smooth, and the nib used at that time was an Italic, this ink took 16-18 secs to dry.
  • It flows through the pen well and lubricates the nib well. I saw no skips or hard starts from the Phileas.
    • It is currently available in Diamine 30ml plastic refill bottles or 80ml glass bottles
    • It's only available from Cult Pens who sell it directly to customers on their web-site.
    • It's a reasonably priced ink

fpn_1434705410__cult_pens_ddo.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• Chrissy

• jmccarty3

• HalloweenHJB

I like all of the Cult Pens Deep Dark Inks. This one borders on brown with my Pilot Custom 74 broad nib. Thanks for the review.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I would agree with Frank C, all the Deep Darks are lovely colours and all work friendly too, apart from when you knock over a bottle :)

Another good review. Actually, the DD Orange is the only one of the series, so far, that I haven't bought. Orange just isn't one of my colour ranges. I wonder what the next one will be...?

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks for this review. It was good.

I've never seen the Deep Dark colors, and will now look for them.

There are some reviews here on FPN. I purchased mine from Cult Pens in the UK. They have great prices on Diamine ink, once you inform their website that you don't live in the EU. Shipping is 10 pounds, but if you buy enough, you can save that much. They have great customer service, too.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I love orange inks and this one is my office version of Blaze Orange.

Thanks for the review.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

I like all of the Cult Pens Deep Dark Inks. This one borders on brown with my Pilot Custom 74 broad nib. Thanks for the review.

I would agree with Frank C, all the Deep Darks are lovely colours and all work friendly too, apart from when you knock over a bottle :)

Another good review. Actually, the DD Orange is the only one of the series, so far, that I haven't bought. Orange just isn't one of my colour ranges. I wonder what the next one will be...?

I love orange inks and this one is my office version of Blaze Orange.

Thanks for the review.

You're all very welcome :)

Excellent review. Thanks so much, Chrissy. I've put in an order for a bottle of each of the DD inks. I'm very impressed with them.

I have not loved the other "Deep Dark" inks, but this one I TRULY LOVE. It really is a super warm color, and not too "orangey" for those who don't normally like orange. Highly recommended!

fpn_1431451528__deep_dark_orange-hjb.jpg

Excellent review. Thanks so much, Chrissy. I've put in an order for a bottle of each of the DD inks. I'm very impressed with them.

Thank you. You're welcome. I hope you like them. Deep Dark Orange is the only one I have tried so far, but if they ever have a percentage off voucher.......

Deep Dark Orange is one of the closest colors I have found to the current burnt orange of the University of Texas (the official color has gotten darker over the years). I'm tempted to get a bottle for my son, who earned his undergraduate degree there.

The other candidate is Private Reserve's Orange Crush.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Deep Dark Orange is one of the closest colors I have found to the current burnt orange of the University of Texas (the official color has gotten darker over the years). I'm tempted to get a bottle for my son, who earned his undergraduate degree there.

From a non-Texan, DDO does look more like Texas deep orange than PR Orange Crush —IMHO. But you also might look at Diamine Burnt Sienna to see if that is even closer...

Edited by HalloweenHJB

Thank you for the great review! I just got this ink thanks to Amberlea and Sinistral's latest Diamine group buy and it is one of the nicest and most usable shades of orange I've tried! My one complaint is that it could offer a little better smoothness/glide but I tend to go for super smooth inks.

I believe that your son deserves a bottle of Deep Dark Orange. And a nice orange fountain pen to put it in.

From a non-Texan, DDO does look more like Texas deep orange than PR Orange Crush —IMHO. But you also might look at Diamine Burnt Sienna to see if that is even closer...

I agree that the Diamine Burnt Siena is an orangey brown, but I think it's a bit too dark to be UT burnt orange. One nice thing is that PR Orange Crush and Cult Pens DDO are both available in cartridges, and my son, being less of an FP enthusiast than I, might prefer that. He already has a very nice Graf von Faber-Castell Pernambuco pen that I bought him for his college graduation some years ago, and I think either one of those inks would look spectacular in that pen.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 10 months later...

I just tried this ink... It's a lovely color, but it didn't behave well in my Platinum #3776 M! I don't know why, but I had clogging issue on the nib.... I usually put Pelikan Edelstin Garnet in this pen, and I never had any problems... I wonder why?