New Platinum 3776 Century Models Coming In June

elevennx

I really like the diamond black version, looks really sharp.

I agree. I'm curious how the transparency on the black one compares with others like the transparent smoke Pilots.

And I wonder why they aren't releasing a rhodium trim version of the Bourgogne model too. Or maybe they will, but at a later date?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• elevennx

• Margana

• Frank C

• Algester

I just wish they'd come out with rhodium trim on the black ones - Japanese market. I bought my black/gold trim from J-Subculture. I LOVE IT - my favorite pen...but I wish it was available with rhodium trim!

I just wish they'd come out with rhodium trim on the black ones - Japanese market. I bought my black/gold trim from J-Subculture. I LOVE IT - my favorite pen...but I wish it was available with rhodium trim!

I do prefer the rhodium over the gold, too. Isn't there a plain black one with rhodium though? Or is this one shown at nibs.com not a Century model, with the spring mechanism in the cap?:

http://www.nibs.com/Platinum3776SeriesBlackNo1Rhodium.html

Goulets has a black with rhodium too, but only with the music nib, from what I saw. I'd love to try that nib, actually, I just wish it wasn't so much more expensive than the other nibs. Especially without any opportunity to try it out first. I'm worried it would be too wide for me, even though I love the broad nib on my current Platinum.

According to Luxury Brands USA, retailers should have the #3776 Century Black Diamond in rhodium trim and nib in about a week. Are you ready?

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

According to Luxury Brands USA, retailers should have the #3776 Century Black Diamond in rhodium trim and nib in about a week. Are you ready?

I would be if I could decide which nib to get. I'm thinking medium, for some variety, but wow, do I love the broad nib on my Nice Pur. I really wish the music nib was going to be offered on these too though.

I would be if I could decide which nib to get. I'm thinking medium, for some variety, but wow, do I love the broad nib on my Nice Pur. I really wish the music nib was going to be offered on these too though.

Tough choice. I have both the B and M nibs. The M might be a bit more all-purpose, but that depends on the size of your handwriting. The music nib is my favorite even if it is on the smaller #3776. I never get enough of that pen though it would be a fantastic nib for a Century. :)

A certified Inkophile

Tough choice. I have both the B and M nibs. The M might be a bit more all-purpose, but that depends on the size of your handwriting. The music nib is my favorite even if it is on the smaller #3776. I never get enough of that pen though it would be a fantastic nib for a Century. :)

I still can't decide between a medium or another bold on the new rhodium models. Plus, your love for the music nib really isn't helping me forget those too. I keep pushing the idea aside, because of how much more they cost, but then I find myself looking them up again. Would the music nib be similar in line width to a western 1.1 stub nib? The closest thing i have to compare is a Kaweco Sport with a 1.1 nib.

I still can't decide between a medium or another bold on the new rhodium models. Plus, your love for the music nib really isn't helping me forget those too. I keep pushing the idea aside, because of how much more they cost, but then I find myself looking them up again. Would the music nib be similar in line width to a western 1.1 stub nib? The closest thing i have to compare is a Kaweco Sport with a 1.1 nib.

The colors are awful, but you can see the comparative line widths.

18000761873_5a44b4bf32_o.jpg

A certified Inkophile

The 3776 is one of my favorites. I look forward to getting the new models.

Thanks for posting this.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

The colors are awful, but you can see the comparative line widths.

18000761873_5a44b4bf32_o.jpg

That's fantastic, thanks so much! The music nib and the 1.1 looks pretty similar, I think. I need to go dig out my Kaweco 1.1 and decide whether or not I can handle the width for cursive writing. Do you know what size the grid is on that paper you did the comparison on?

When I ordered my Platinum broad nib I was worried it might be a little too wide for me. But now that I have it, I love the width, and I love being able to see so much more ink on the paper than I could with my Pilot fine nibs (that was my preference until now). The Platinum broad is super smooth too. So now my worries have been reversed and I wonder whether I would be disappointed with the width and smoothness of a Platinum medium. That is probably what I will end up getting though, just for variety, once I decide between the new blue and black models.

I'm hoping someone here will buy them first and show off with some photos. That will probably be the thing to set off my decision.

The 3776 is one of my favorites. I look forward to getting the new models.

Thanks for posting this.

Awesome - I love mine too. Are you planning on getting both? Please post some photos if you get any. I'm having a tough time deciding between them.

Awesome - I love mine too. Are you planning on getting both? Please post some photos if you get any. I'm having a tough time deciding between them.

I'll probably get one of each. I do like 3776s.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

That's fantastic, thanks so much! The music nib and the 1.1 looks pretty similar, I think. I need to go dig out my Kaweco 1.1 and decide whether or not I can handle the width for cursive writing. Do you know what size the grid is on that paper you did the comparison on?

When I ordered my Platinum broad nib I was worried it might be a little too wide for me. But now that I have it, I love the width, and I love being able to see so much more ink on the paper than I could with my Pilot fine nibs (that was my preference until now). The Platinum broad is super smooth too. So now my worries have been reversed and I wonder whether I would be disappointed with the width and smoothness of a Platinum medium. That is probably what I will end up getting though, just for variety, once I decide between the new blue and black models.

I'm hoping someone here will buy them first and show off with some photos. That will probably be the thing to set off my decision.

The paper is Rhodia and the grid is 5 mm.

A certified Inkophile

I'll probably get one of each. I do like 3776s.

Which of their nibs have you tried so far? Favorite?

Which of their nibs have you tried so far? Favorite?

I like them all. I have more soft fine than anything else.

I like them all. I have more soft fine than anything else.

I like the fine nib on my Pilot Prera so much that I am always hesitant about getting a fine nib on one of these Platinums. Not because I doubt whether they are good, but just because I feel like that nib already serves my needs for a smooth and very fine line. And not having tried a soft nib (for Pilot or Platinum) I really don't know if it would be of any value to me. I write with a quick and light touch (ideally), and I'm not sure whether that would be suited to a soft nib - would I even notice a difference between the fine and the soft fine without varying the pressure on the nib?

In any case, let us know which nibs you choose when and if you eventually order these rhodium models.

I like the fine nib on my Pilot Prera so much that I am always hesitant about getting a fine nib on one of these Platinums. Not because I doubt whether they are good, but just because I feel like that nib already serves my needs for a smooth and very fine line. And not having tried a soft nib (for Pilot or Platinum) I really don't know if it would be of any value to me. I write with a quick and light touch (ideally), and I'm not sure whether that would be suited to a soft nib - would I even notice a difference between the fine and the soft fine without varying the pressure on the nib?

In any case, let us know which nibs you choose when and if you eventually order these rhodium models.

I just broke out my Platinum 3776 Shoji with a Soft Fine nib and filled it with Platinum Blue-Black ink, an iron gall ink. I'm reminded why I like these nibs. With a soft touch, the nib glides across Rhodia paper with a little resistance. With a little pressure, I get some springiness and line variation. Most of my Platinum nibs are nails, but the Soft Fines are soft and fine. There is no downside to using these.

I like the concept of the Black Diamond...assume the actual item would be excellent.

Re: why the up cost for these? Two things to consider. 1) because they CAN...you know, supply & demand, etc. Which leads sort of to #2), being...it's a limited, numbered edition...special.

The more you drool the wider you can open your wallet.

Note: The fact that you can get the Nice Pur for $160 (on sale) from almost any USA vendor has been of great interest...vs the Japan based vendors? If they even have it available? Though I must admit to lusting after the Rose Gold Nice version. Trying to quell my desire via a Rose Gold TWSBI 580 due Friday from Jet for $60 delivered. Time will tell whether or not this desperate gambit will prove effective.

I like the concept of the Black Diamond...assume the actual item would be excellent.

Re: why the up cost for these? Two things to consider. 1) because they CAN...you know, supply & demand, etc. Which leads sort of to #2), being...it's a limited, numbered edition...special.

The more you drool the wider you can open your wallet.

Note: The fact that you can get the Nice Pur for $160 (on sale) from almost any USA vendor has been of great interest...vs the Japan based vendors? If they even have it available? Though I must admit to lusting after the Rose Gold Nice version. Trying to quell my desire via a Rose Gold TWSBI 580 due Friday from Jet for $60 delivered. Time will tell whether or not this desperate gambit will prove effective.

In my experience, if I purchase a less expensive item to avoid purchasing a more expensive item, I eventually end up with the more expensive item eventually, anyway. Now I just purchase the one I really want.

That's how I ended up with my Nice Pur. Now I want the rose gold one too, but I'm wondering if it will ever share the same discount as the Pur. All I've heard is that the distributor offered the Pur at a discount, which would explain why we see multiple retailers with the pen on sale. I wish I knew why only the Pur was affected this way and not the rose gold version. I'd hate to buy it now and then have it go on sale in two weeks.

In my experience, if I purchase a less expensive item to avoid purchasing a more expensive item, I eventually end up with the more expensive item eventually, anyway. Now I just purchase the one I really want.

This is pretty wise. I have a bunch of much cheaper pens that no longer get a lot of use now that I have my Platinum. I held off on getting it for quite a while because it seemed expensive. But instead of all those smaller purchases that no longer get used as much, I could have had another one of these pens instead.

My only worry is that if I start collecting 3776 models like I did with Pilot Kakunos and Kaweco Sports, I'm going to look at them and see the Nakaya I could have had. The big difference, of course, is that while those Pilots and Kawecos are pleasant, and write just fine, the Platinum is a pen I love having in my hand.