Penultimate Storage Idea... Opinions?

AfterMyNap

My mom had one of these and when I was thinking about better ways to store my pens, it suddenly hit me, "So what if it's meant for sewing?"

I like this idea for a few reasons, it closes to a fairly compact size, the bottom compartment is deep enough for ink bottles or pen boxes, the top tray(s) would be great for wax & seals, etc., and I'm attracted to the ability to see everything in the wide open position.

My idea is to line it with green felt and make felted slots in the trays to separate the pens.

The drawbacks that stand out to me are that it has an almost 4-ft. wingspan so it needs its own space, and it might be too clumsy to deal with if I just want to get a certain pen or whatnot.

So, any opinions or items for consideration would be appreciated.

post-18045-0-78420500-1432520114_thumb.jpg

post-18045-0-80290000-1432520130_thumb.jpg

post-18045-0-05796600-1432520145_thumb.jpg

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AfterMyNap

• fountainpagan

• jmccarty3

• MrThoth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent thinking outside the box! (No pun intended! :) )

I think that has some definite possibilities, which you've summarized nicely. You've also grasped the major drawback: the space needed to open it. But I'm sure you can figure out a solution, or put up with the hassle in exchange for the elegance.

Are you going to leave the legs on it so it serves as a freestanding piece of furniture, or remove them so you can put it on a desk or shelf when closed?

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Oooh, great idea! I hadn't thought of dismemberment but I like the idea! There is a version made without legs and if I want to elevate it I could easily make a fitted stand for it. Hmmmm, this has potential to be the new objective. Thanks

Pun well done! 😉

—Cindy

Having tons of ink, my first impression was that it would be better for ink storage than pen storage.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Why not both?

The bottom space can easily be used for inks, wax seals, and even one or two notebooks.

The 4 other trays are high enough to support a two layer of pen display trays, doubling the storage space.

That is how I would do it. ;)

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Having tons of ink, my first impression was that it would be better for ink storage than pen storage.

Hmm, I'm not sure that the structure could handle the amount of weight between the ink itself and the glass of the bottles. I really only have about 15 bottles of ink anyway, but I like your thinking.

Edited by AfterMyNap

—Cindy

Why not both?

The bottom space can easily be used for inks, wax seals, and even one or two notebooks.

The 4 other trays are high enough to support a two layer of pen display trays, doubling the storage space.

That is how I would do it. ;)

That's a great way to expand and if the collection gets big enough that will be the plan. The way I see it is as a versatile unit in which the system would develop itself with a bit of trial & error.

—Cindy

Hmm, I'm not sure that the structure could handle the amount of weight between the ink itself and the glass of the bottles. I really only have about 15 bottles of ink anyway, but I like your thinking.

Your structure seems to be solid enough. But, if ever, you can reinforce it by adding 4 metal corners, at each corner of the inside of the bottom tray.

Anyhow, it is a beautiful finding.

I had thought about it myself, but in France, the bottom tray is rarely that deep, if ever.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Brilliant bit of re-purposing! I think I would only put ink bottles in the lower center section, or as you mention, there's potential for tipping when open. Do the 'wings' open independently? I also like the idea of a taller stand for it to be attached to for easy access and viewing pleasure. Not sure just how deep the center section is, or how handy you are, but could a little tray be made to fit inside it in order to take full advantage of the space there? Haven't seen one of these in years....

AfterMyNap you have a great idea & thanks for sharing it. My Mother left behind 2 of these (both without legs.) I have used them from time to time & never felt the need to open it all @ once so the wingspan has never seemed an issue to me. BUT she also had a thread cabinet which I will have to locate & check about it's possible repurpose. I remember it having maybe six drawers (rather shallow) BUT the top lifted up & might offer ink storage. I thank you for your idea & although I just ordered the tool chest from Costco (thanks to another thread here) I suspect I may be able to reuse some of these chests. I surely don't use them for their intended purpose because I rarely do more than reattach a button.

What a wonderful idea! I would feel a tad bit more comfortable if I could weight the legs a little for more stability, but aside from that, I think I want one.

Oh, thanks to all for the ideas, the leg thing has me thinking, these seem to be built to sit low, maybe so the user can remain seated. I'm also looking at a couple smaller versions with a view to incorporating it into my desk. If it gets too top-heavy it could easily become a disaster.

Fountainpagan, the one in these pictures was made in Norway, many others come from Romania and Poland so you probably have more options than not.

Oinkingdog, I LOVE those machinists' chests but whenever I've thought seriously about getting one, something keeps stopping me. Some of the upper compartments are pretty small, I haven't thought of a clever excuse to drop the $$ into one... yet.

Thanks again for all the considerations, I'm still looking at them and seeing them differently through all the great input!

—Cindy

In the past I have converted all sorts of boxes for storing pens and inks and I think you may be surprised at how sturdy these sewing boxes are. The current internal dividers should be fairly easy to remove.

I would suggest the outer drawers should be used for pens a set of trays could be made for each one that would increase capacity.

Ink and heavier items could be stored in the lower compartment.

If you want to know how much weight will cause tipping add some household items of known weight ( lb bag of sugar) until it tips, the height of the legs may also have something to do with tipping.

What ever you do I hope we get to see pictures.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63