• Frank C

• mudman

• Manalto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is another peek , this one is such a beauty :wub:

post-99536-0-24833200-1432505500_thumb.jpg

Comments and critique welcome :)

The use of subtle color, light and depth-of-field in your photography is exquisite.

I concur! Wonderfully done shots. Thanks for sharing.

- Jon Zenor

Christian, Author, Starship Captain, and all around fun guy.

Follow me on Twitter: @JLZenor

That is a good picture. What photographic equipment did you use?

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Beautiful.

Thanks Diderot :) Glad you liked it. When I saw this again in the post, it looks like the first picture has a bit of blue cast, don't you think ?

That is a good picture. What photographic equipment did you use?

Hi Frank , Used an old Pentax K5 with a CZ Makro plannar F2. The key was actually the D4 tripod head. If you need more info, I'd be happy to elaborate. Thanks for your comments.

Stunning photography btw is that a M600 Pelikan

Hi Albinoni, It's a M1000 black version.

I don't own a Pelikan. Never have, and never thought of buying one. Until now.

It might be the photography. :)

Edited by delano

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that you probably used a Makro lens. I have one for my Nikon; I'm not as pleased with my Leica Makro.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

wow thanks Delano, I am writing a mail to Pelikan requesting my marketting commission B) , but seriously they are good pens. I've got three (M1000, M800 and M215) and ALL of em work exceptionally well. The M215 goes where I go esp with the Lozenge design, looks classy, holds a lot of ink, no-nonsence steel nib, gets the job done without fuss. let me check if I can make a couple of pictures in the upcoming days.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that you probably used a Makro lens. I have one for my Nikon; I'm not as pleased with my Leica Makro.

Yes Frank, I did use the macro lens, although the CZ 100mm F2 is not 'considered' a true macro as it can only manage to go up to 50% object size ratio. That was good enough for these shots. I find that the tripod, tripod head and a stable focusing rail is as important as the lens and lighting. The good tripod head that doesn't creep is esp critical.

Edited by DanceOfLight

I got a vintage (1952 tortoise) Pelikan, following the advice given to me here. The major reason given is the responsiveness of the nib; it has a slight bit of flex and the line variation that adds character to ordinary penmanship. The modern Pelikans don't. While I appreciate the joys of flex, it isn't that important to me and I like my other new Pelikan (800) just as well - maybe a little better because its larger size sits more comfortably in my paw. Both are easily and neatly filled, reliable and elegant. The modern two-tone nib is a thing of beauty. (Note, however, that my EF nib puts down a medium-fine line.)

Yes Frank, I did use the macro lens, although the CZ 100mm F2 is not 'considered' a true macro as it can only manage to go up to 50% object size ratio. That was good enough for these shots. I find that the tripod, tripod head and a stable focusing rail is as important as the lens and lighting. The good tripod head that doesn't creep is esp critical.

The extra effort it takes to put your camera on a tripod really pays off. I know this and yet kid myself into thinking I can cheat by shooting macro under natural light. It doesn't work. The only way to get those crisp magnified images is to have a rock-steady camera.

Edited by Manalto

James

Wonderful photos, of an equally wonderful pen. I have my first Pelikan on the, and your photos makes me even more excited to get it.

"The extra effort it takes to put your camera on a tripod really pays off." - Amen to that.

Wonderful photos, of an equally wonderful pen. I have my first Pelikan on the, and your photos makes me even more excited to get it.

Thanks Mudman, curiosity wants to ask : which bird is flying to your nest ? whichever one it is, congratulations and I am sure you are going to love it !

Thanks Mudman, curiosity wants to ask : which bird is flying to your nest ? whichever one it is, congratulations and I am sure you are going to love it !

M805, Should arrive Wednesday. The really difficult part will be deciding what to ink it up with first. I've got several great inks on the way as well.

That is indeed a tough question :unsure: MudMan . If your M805 is a clear Demonstator, I'd keep it away from all funky coloured inks :yikes: , and feed it only with benign inks like the one featured in my first picture - a Pelikan 4001 Königs Blau/ 'Royal blue', which is reportedly harmless on demonstrators. If your M805 is not one of the demonstators, the ink world is your oyster :P , although I'd still keep it away from J. Herbin Rouge Hematite and other speciality inks which according to many experienced folks on this forum, clogs the innards of the nibs/tines/feed. I am sure the ink-forum will have plenty advice.

Enjoy your new M805 ! it is indeed a lovely pen. Fun fact : only the M8xx and M10xx series have brass innards which are roumred to last a lifetime and a few years more than that.

Just classic black. But I do want more. You know, just so I can utilize all my ink. :)