Franklin Christoph Midnight Emerald

mmg122

Franklin Christoph Midnight Emerald

Having just purchased the Franklin Christoph Model 20 Marietta and Model 40P Pocket Pen, I took the opportunity of checking out Franklin Christophs latest generation of inks. Samples of these inks were sent to me with my new pens as a courtesy from the good folks at Franklin Christoph. The first generation inks, including Black Magic, Dark Denim and Syrah, Syrah have been discontinued. Current inks include:

Classic Black

Blue 72

Red 187

Brown 732

Emerald 357

Noir et Bleu

Dark Chocolate

Midnight Emerald

The numbers in the ink names indicate their Pantone number.

Today, I'll be reviewing Midnight Emerald. This is a very well behaved ink which I like a lot. It is a well saturated green which leans decidedly blue. I find it to be much like Rohrer and Klingner Verdigris and Akkerman Zuiderpark Blue Green (#24). Unfortunately I don't have any samples of the Akkerman to show you a swab, but the R&K Verdigris is on the comparison page.

The first two sheets of the review are Rhodia. The third sheet is Franklin Christoph notepad paper. The last two sheets are Canson Tracing Paper.

If you have any questions about Franklin Christoph Midnight Emerald, fire away. Thanks for taking a look at this review. If there is anything else you'd like me to include in my reviews, just ask. I'm still learning. 😉😉😉

post-36725-0-90171300-1432415947_thumb.jpg

post-36725-0-12111800-1432415961_thumb.jpg

post-36725-0-20195200-1432415979_thumb.jpg

post-36725-0-61433100-1432415999_thumb.jpg

post-36725-0-58901100-1432416011_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mmg122

• Cyber6

• J85909266

• visvamitra

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lacking? I had to edit it because I put up the wrong review. DUH

These are iPhone photos cuz I don't have a scanner. Doing the best I can. 😏😏😏

Correction: the first two sheets are Canson Tracing Paper. The third and last are Rhodia. The fourth is Franklin Christoph.

Sorry about the confusion. I'm still trying to master the photo upload function.

Thank you for reviewing this ink. I have been awaiting a review since I purchased it just prior to it's introduction @ the pen show. I had called to order a music nib & ask about the always "forthcoming" new edition of the Panther which I hope to be a stable mate for my 1909. They were awaiting the labels from the printer before the ink could be taken to the show. Everything you say about the ink is certainly accurate & I cannot fault it's performance in any way. I just did not expect it to be blue with it's name of emerald. Not having seen a sample before purchase it was just one of those expectations that are based on your perception. I surely like it better than the earlier version of Olde Emerald which seemed a bit light in color. I do have the Akkerman Blue green & they are similar.

I also was expecting more of a green ink than what it turned out to be. I kept trying to view it under different lights and sunlight thinking my eyes were playing tricks on me...but blue green it is. And I agree, much better than Olde Emerald which leans too far yellow for my taste. In addition to waiting for the Panther, I've also heard a rumor that they're working on a piston filler. Many good things coming from the folks at Franklin Christoph, I suspect.

Thanks for commenting, Barkingpig.

I appreciate the reviews, but I'm finding it difficult to get a good idea of the colors due to what seems to be poor lighting in your images. Have you tried using natural light?

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

J...sorry about the lighting. I did these at night and the combination of incandescent light and iPhone photos was lethal. They look correct on my monitor but YMMV. I'l try to post again in the morning/daylight.

Oh, no worries! I'm very curious about these new inks. I'll look forward to the daylight photos.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Why is it blue??... :huh:

With a name like MIDNIGHT EMERALD... I was hoping for a dark luscious green... something in the lines of Racing Green.... or something like the color below..

VIGO-VG07504-Rivera-Glass-Vessel-Sink-Da

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

THANK YOU! Cyber6..........I am NOT the only one who is surprised @ this color. I shook the dickens out of the bottle after the first fill because I was SURE the yellow part of the ink was "hiding" in the bottle. NOT SO........ it is & remains a blue ink for me. It is a "nice" blue green & I am determined to empty my pen (after filling it the second time!) But I am very pleased that an "ink master" such as yourself seems perplexed by the name with resulting color. I confess inexperience BUT still expect green to be representative of the gem stone I am familiar with. You have made me feel a lot better. (And I need it with an "almost full" LARGE sized bottle of Akkerman's Blue Green & this bottle to finish up!)

Honestly, I've sampled several of the inks on the comparison picture, and the colors look way, way off, natural light or no.

- Joe

Honestly, I've sampled several of the inks on the comparison picture, and the colors look way, way off, natural light or no.

+1... Verdigris is totally off...

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I don't know what to tell you. The colors on my monitor are the colors I see on the paper. Maybe my inks have gone bad...maybe the Michigan sunlight. They are truly blue to my eye. A riddle rapped in an enigma inside a mystery.

+1... Verdigris is totally off...

Borrowed the picture from Visvamitra's review. Verdigris is a dark green blue-black. Very interesting. Your verdigris looks like royal blue. :huh:

I am going to guess that your monitor is calibrated to YOU... so you can see correct color to the real paper. But for the rest, it has a strong blue cast.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img537/5028/6iZBD6.jpg

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Cyber6...actually all the photos were taken with my iPhone 5s. Honestly, the colors you see are the exact ones I see in person on the sheets I did. I can't explain the discrepancy and apologize for any confusion this review has generated. If any one else has a sample of Franklin Christoph Midnight Emerald, I'd appreciate if they'd post a more accurate example. I don't have a scanner so can't try a scan example. Again, please accept my apologies for this fubar.