Are There Any J. Herbin Inks You Would Recommend?

Arctic_Wolf

I always liked Myosotis although I was never able to get the lighter colour others apparently got, probably needed a thicker nib. Vert Empire is spectacular.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snewman

• TSherbs

• Arctic_Wolf

• penswordnoassemblyrequired

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely going to be picking up Pearle Noire and Poussiere de Lune as well!

I'll admit that I like the 1670 line inks (at least Rouge Hematite and Stormy Grey) better than the regular Herbin inks because they're more saturated. Didn't like the original Bleu Ocean; I have a sample of the reformulated version on order, so we'll see.

For the "regular" line, I like Vert Empire (although it fades to a murkier color than I was expecting) and Eclat de Saphir. Still trying to make up my mind about Café des Iles: I *kinda* like the color, but the ink itself is a bit gritty (plus I have browns I like better).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This one is a nice color!

http://inkymadness.tk/J.%20Herbin/Rose%20Cyclamen%20%5BScan%5D.jpg

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely going to be picking up Pearle Noire and Poussiere de Lune as well!

+1 on the Perle Noire (Don't know the other)

Bleu Nuit is one of my favorites too. Also +1 to Perle Noir and Pousseire de Lune.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

Lie De The is a fabulous brown.

I'll second that.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Perle Noire, Eclat de Saphire, Rose Cyclamen, Poussiere de Lune, Larmes de Cassis. Those my well tried favorites. But also lie Rouge Opera, and obviously the 1670 Rouge Hematite.

Lie De The is a fabulous brown.

I'll second that.

I'll third that.

Edited by bubba818

+1 for Pousierre de Lune and Violette Pense

Bleu Nuit would be at the top of my list personally so a +2 for that suggestion! lol

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

I keep coming back to this thread, several times, and each time trying to convince myself that I do not need to pick up more ink. I already have way more than I can ever use in my lifetime. But I keep returning to this thread. I have 3 JH inks which I love (Vert Olive, Poussierre de Lune, and Rose Cyclamen) and imagine I would be happy with the entire line of JH ink colors. It is merely deciding which ones to add "now" and which ones can wait until later.

Top on my wish list now:

Éclat de Saphir ~ because everyone raves about it

Bleu Myosotis ~ looks like an interesting shade I don't have yet in another brand

Larmes de Cassis ~ purples are my weakness

Rouge Opera ~ because my only other red is Akkerman Garuda, which I'm not completely happy with

For a fifth color, I'm trying to decide between Lie de The and Terre de Feu.

Brown is outside my comfort zone. I only picked up my very first brown a couple of weeks ago, Iroshizuku Yama Guri. Which of these two JH browns would best complement Yama Guri in my ink collection?

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I am in the minority for not adoring Éclat de Saphir --for me it just dries too flat. Better for me --and I like bright colors-- is Bleu Pervenche. Deep cyan, full bodied.

I have:

Poussiere de lune,

Lie de the

Eclat de Saphir

Terre de Feu,

1670 edition Gray ( with gold flakes)

All of them are just great inks.

Eclat is lovely, the better behaved sister of Bay State Blue. I love Lie de The BUT be very careful, it will grow Slime in it if you are not super careful. It shades beautifully and is a real unusual color.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I saw that group buy just stocked up on my inks recently so had to pass. I have used the Perle Noire, Eclat de Saphir, Rouge Opera and the Orange Indien and other than a bit of dryness for a couple of them I have nothing but good things to say about all 4.

Perle Noire - Regular Rotation - A solid black and as others have said well behaved. Prior to this I have only ever liked Waterman's black as well as Noodler's bulletproof but both are second and third to the Perle Noire. I always have being too wet/feathering issues with blacks and this one is to me the best on both fronts.

Eclat de Saphir - Regular Rotation - I really like the shade and color saturation of this blue though I have found it to be a bit dry.

Rouge Opera - Minimal use - While I find it a bit on the lighter side it is a pretty red. No real opinion on flow as I have not used it enough or in enough of my pens, currently it has only been in a medium.

Orange Indien - Regular Rotation - I really like the look of this orange, I bought it as a substitute when I could not get a hold of a bottle of the Lamy Copper Orange and think I have been converted. The only drawback is that like the Eclat de Saphir it can be a bit on the dry side. Now if only it could flow like the Lamy then I would be perfectly happy.

I have:

Poussiere de lune,

Lie de the

Eclat de Saphir

Terre de Feu,

1670 edition Gray ( with gold flakes)

All of them are just great inks.

I did not know about the 1670 edition Gray, your post made me look up the reviews here on the forum. What a beautiful ink, just after I finished saying I did not need more ink!