Are There Any J. Herbin Inks You Would Recommend?

Arctic_Wolf

I'm looking to get a 5-pack of J. Herbin inks from a group buy website (new here and not sure if I'm allowed to refer directly to it). I'm looking to get Vert Reseda, Orange Indien, and am considering Eclat de Saphire, but this still leaves me with 2-3 more options. So I'm wondering if I can get the community's opinions on any of the J. Herbin inks that they have tried. I tend to stay away from browns other than in samples because I don't like them enough to use 30mL, and I really like inks that shade well. Thank-you for your time, any opinions are welcome!

-Arctic Wolf

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snewman

• TSherbs

• Arctic_Wolf

• stonezebra

Violette Pensee is one of my favorite purples. Works incredibly well in wet writers.

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

The only JH I own a bottle of is Ambre de Birmanie. Love it. Have tried samples of others but discovered I like a more saturated ink, with this one exception.

Vert Pre is my favorite green, especially in a broad or italic nib. I write something with that color almost every day. I also like Rose Cyclamen for bright pink accents and Pousierre de Lune for when I want a more laid back purple. I have not yet actually tried Orange Indien, but it is definitely on my list to get.

My favorite Herbin ink is Larmes de Cassis. It is a muted berry-pink-purple-mauve color. It is very lovely!

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

Lie De The is a fabulous brown.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Perle Noire is a benchmark black ink for many. True black and well behaved. Black ink is not for everyone but if you're looking for one Perle Noire is one of the best.

I also really like Pousierre de Lune. It's a nice dusky purple, similar to R & K Scabiosa but not iron gall so it's easier to maintain.

+1 on the pearle noire. Grab yourself a nice black even if you have a black already.



Perle Noire is a benchmark black ink for many. True black and well behaved. Black ink is not for everyone but if you're looking for one Perle Noire is one of the best.

For the first time in my life, I bought some black ink, and it was this.

I find it "fat and shiny", and very black.

I was a little disappointed with Orange Indien. It's nice, but it's not wonderful. It has a kind of subtlety but it isn't enough to make it a truly interesting ink. Poussiere de Lune on the other hand is a very interesting ink and quite a nice, unusual colour too.

I love Rose Cyclamen - it's a really bright cheery magenta!

CHECK OUT MA BLOG! www.inkredibleblog.wordpress.com

I (and other members) have done several ink reviews of J Herbin inks in the Ink Review forum if you want to look at those for ideas.

Pousierre de lune has to be one of the most popular J Herbin inks. Plus 1 vote for Eclat de saphir and Rose Cyclamen if you like a really bright pink.

Lierre sauvage is a great green too.

Edited by Chrissy

Rouge Opera is probably my favorite ink for color and as soon as my vintage Waterman is repaired, that will be the ink I use in it.

Rouge Opera is probably my favorite ink for color and as soon as my vintage Waterman is repaired, that will be the ink I use in it.

I've been tempted to put Poussiere de Lune in my vintage Waterman--in fact, I originally bought the ink for use in that pen--but having heard that j. herbin inks are a bit more likely to develop mold than other inks are, I have been hesitant. Poussiere de Lune is one of my favorite inks, but I use it in a pen that would be easy to take apart for cleaning.

+1 on the pearle noire. Grab yourself a nice black even if you have a black already.

Agreed! Pearle Noir is one of my favorite blacks. Deep, true black color with consistent flow in all of my pens.

I have read people commenting on Goulet's that Perle Noire may form a sludge. I wanted that ink until I have read several people claiming it is unsafe for that reason.

I've got several of these inks, it is one of my favorite brands. I agree that Perle Noire, Eclat de Saphir and Poussiere de Lune are keepers. I'll add Vert Empire for a nice muted green. It is similar to Diamine Emerald. I've found Orange Indien to be quite dry, and have trouble enjoying it in some of my pens for that reason.