Looking For A Good Calligraphy Red

mgrubb

Hello all, This is my first post on the FPN. I am looking for an opaque or at least very saturated with little to no shading red ink.

This is mainly for use in a 6mm Pilot Parallel calligraphy pen. I've tried several colors but to no avail.

I've highlighted the problem exemplars in yellow in the images below.

Diamine Red Dragon is my favorite red ink, and it almost gets the job done, but it still looks blotchy in the 6mm PP:

fpn_1432174694__diaminereddragonhexample
Here is Noodler's Park Red:
fpn_1432174719__noodlersparkredexampled.
I prefer the shade of the Red Dragon, but I need something that doesn't look splotchy when going over the same area with multiple strokes. Also, don't cringe too badly at the letter forms here, they were part of my practice :).
Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Also, I'm looking for a rich red pigmented ink for dip pens. I'd like something akin to sumi-e, the best I've found in that family is an orangish red though.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randal6393

• ac12

• mgrubb

• jasonchickerson

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can't avoid seeing the secondary strokes with dye inks. I think you will need to go to pigment inks to avoid that.

For the pigmented red ink, have you looked at Speedball acrylic ink?

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Almost all fountain pen inks are going to do this. Try Winsor and Newton or Sennelier calligraphy inks. They are usually much cheaper than fountain pen inks, anyway, just don't put them in your pen.

Yep, most illumination is done with goache of one kind or another. So, time to break out the dip pen and a tube of good goache. The added advantage is that you can mix the colors to achieve just the shade you want. It will take a bit of practice to learn how to mix and the amount of water you need to get the flow right.

After mastering rubrication (using red to color a manuscript), you might want to start in with illuminating in general. It's a fascinating area and a good introduction into calligraphy versus handwriting. And a lot of fun.

And, Welcome to FPN! Can tell you are going to fit in here very well!

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I think you can't avoid seeing the secondary strokes with dye inks. I think you will need to go to pigment inks to avoid that.

For the pigmented red ink, have you looked at Speedball acrylic ink?

I forgot to mention, the Speedball ink is dip pen only, NOT for fountain pen use.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

And, Welcome to FPN! Can tell you are going to fit in here very well!

Thanks for the warm, welcome! I find my calligraphy practice to be very cathartic, and has inspired me to really work on my everyday penmanship as well :) I have tried the gouache with some Mitchell dip nibs, I just have a lot more tinkering to get the right consistency. The main reason I'm fiddling with the Pilot Parallels is convenience and consistency. I've had the most luck getting consistent results out of the PPs compared with the dip nibs. I have also been itching to give illumination a try, just trying to find the right project.

I may have the wrong attitude toward acrylics and black letter on simulated manuscripts, I've shunned them so far.

I'm trying to stick to as natural of inks as I can, hence my preference with the sumi-e black. It's not that I'm necessarily a purist, but that's my inclination. Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.

I may have the wrong attitude toward acrylics and black letter on simulated manuscripts, I've shunned them so far.

I'm trying to stick to as natural of inks as I can, hence my preference with the sumi-e black. It's not that I'm necessarily a purist, but that's my inclination. Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Goache is funny, it's a solid watercolor ink. The acrylic dries waterproof, which is why it's sometimes better for manuscripts. Why not try a tube of acrylic versus a tube of more traditional goache? See which you prefer.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

M. Graham gouache is highly recommended. I can't speak to acrylics, but that's what I would trial if you want the really good stuff.