Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Can You Turn A Noodler's Ahab Nib Into A Chinese Calligraphy Nib?

AgentVenom

So, after penvangelizing my mother, she quickly went and bought herself a Noodler's Ahab.

The very first day she took it to work, she dropped it on the floor and bent the nib. Heartbreaking, I know. But the way she bent it reminded me of a Chinese calligraphy fountain pen nib.

It got me thinking: Is it possible to successfully mod an Ahab to make it write like a Chinese nib? I know it wouldn't write exactly like it, but would it be able to approximate the line variation? I'm very curious to see if anyone has ever tried to mod an Ahab in this way.

On a side note, how hard would it be to fix the nib? She's not nearly as curious about the potential as I am.

post-116959-0-05896500-1432170420_thumb.jpg

post-116959-0-05738100-1432170434_thumb.jpg

Freedom lies in being bold - Robert Frost

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• AgentVenom

• musicman123

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This looks like a fude nib at this point. It probably would be a bit hard to mod it into a fude without additional problems. First off, the tines most likely would be splayed out from the bending, and you may suffer misalignment. Those fude ones are also quite hard to smooth considering the curvature.

Your damage at this point is a little bit tougher to fix, because of the flex that has to be maintained. Your tines are wonderfully splayed outwards and that bend could be a problem. The new Noodler's flex nibs are just $5 from Goulet so might as well just buy a new one. It would cost way more to send it to a nibmeister.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

yes you can look at the fude nibs

This looks like a fude nib at this point. It probably would be a bit hard to mod it into a fude without additional problems. First off, the tines most likely would be splayed out from the bending, and you may suffer misalignment. Those fude ones are also quite hard to smooth considering the curvature.

Your damage at this point is a little bit tougher to fix, because of the flex that has to be maintained. Your tines are wonderfully splayed outwards and that bend could be a problem. The new Noodler's flex nibs are just $5 from Goulet so might as well just buy a new one. It would cost way more to send it to a nibmeister.

That's awesome. I didn't know anything about fude nibs. I'll definitely look into it.

If i can't do anything to fix it I'll clip it and turn it into an italic.

That's awesome. I didn't know anything about fude nibs. I'll definitely look into it.

If i can't do anything to fix it I'll clip it and turn it into an italic.

Yes but that still probably won't fix the splay on the tines. From here, it looks like the tines are already flared out quite a bit, even on the lower parts of the nib. That could be an interesting problem to tackle. Keep me updated.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

Yes but that still probably won't fix the splay on the tines. From here, it looks like the tines are already flared out quite a bit, even on the lower parts of the nib. That could be an interesting problem to tackle. Keep me updated.

I will. I'll see her tomorrow and will have time to tinker with it.