Moments When Having A Fountain Pen On You Was Awesome

Ragwort Fairy

I've been acting in a short film for just over a week now, and today my character was taking down notes. The director asked me if I had a pen, and I told her I had fountain pens with me, and I got to use one on camera~!

It was such a happy little squee moment and I'm super glad I had the pens in my bag. This being the fountain pen network, I'm sure there are other people with stories like mine.

Was there ever a moment when having a fountain pen with you was more exciting and fun than just "I have a pen in my pocket"? (Much as it's a great feeling, I think we've all experienced that!)

Do you always make sure you have a fountain pen on you in anticipation of such an event?

We will find it, we will bind it, we will stick it with glue glue glue,

We will stickle it, every eyelid, nose and lip,

We are coming for you you you~

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragwort Fairy

• DanceOfLight

• MrThoth

• nibbling

A few months ago I was signing the guestbook at a yarn store, and the employee who was standing there got all excited when I pulled out my Parkette. She said, "Is that a fountain pen? With ink?" Turns out she was born in the 1920's, and learned to write with fountain pens. We had a wonderful conversation about pens, letter writing, and the lost art of conversation.

Debbie

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

I took a fountain pen with me to sign the grad committee's approval of the oral defence of my thesis. That felt great, a flourish to end five years of hard work. The pen was also a grad gift, a burgundy Montblanc 144.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

At the post office...something as simple as signing for a package...it was a watch from a friend in Hong Kong....I used my Conklin Duragraph to sign for it...the post office woman said loudly "I haven't seen one of those in years!"...I really got a kick out of that.

Edited by trandy

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to say you are....you aren't" - Margaret Thatcher

I had one of those moments with my physics professor during an oral final exam. He was delighted when i pulled out my TWSBI 580!

wait!

What pen was it?

glad you had such a fun experience!

My Gazzaz "Chalana". I don't have any expensive ones, but that one looks nice and it suited the character, so I was proud of it.

We will find it, we will bind it, we will stick it with glue glue glue,

We will stickle it, every eyelid, nose and lip,

We are coming for you you you~

Yup pretty much the same reaction from either "haven't seen one in years" or "I used to write with those in school" to " I didn't think anyone used those anymore"

Only one person noticed my pen as a MB. The other people only noticed it was a different pen.

The first time my boss noticed the Waterman I was wearing. No one else has noticed.

Many years ago I was talking with a friend who announced that he was becoming an "inc" -- incorporating his side business. I immediately pulled out my 149 and countered, "I've been into ink for years!"

OK, his news was more significant, but we both got a laugh out of it.

My first job as a nurse was in a lock-down unit for Alzheimer and dementia patients. I'll never forget the first time I was charting and one of our ladies came up and said, "I haven't seen an ink pen in years." I'll never forget the second time she said it either. Or the third. Or the...

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

I often get an "I like your pen." or "That's a cool pen every now and then." I do sometimes post photos of pens I restored and people seem impressed, even if it's just a bladder change and polish job.

The best, though, is when you find someone else who also appreciates these pens. Then, they'll say, "Nice Parker 51." or "That's a lovely Sheaffer." And then you can geek about it for a while and feel like the cool kids who know better than to be content with a ballpoint.

A couple weeks ago, out at a restaurant with friends. The waitress brought us our separate checks -- but no pens to sign with. I signed mine, then passed my pen to a friend. He immediately said, "Hey, it doesn't work." I then got to provide a brief lesson to everyone on how to hold and use a fountain pen. Fun for all.

On the downside, I think one of them may have forgotten to give me back my blue Levenger Splendor. :o

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Honestly, most times are awesome. The writing process is always so much better with a fountain pen. Even during a meeting, seeing sheen makes me smile inside.

That's a nice experience that you shared there Ragwort Fairy. Would you know when it'll air ? may be we FPN'ers can look for you and your trusty Chalana when it does :) . Super Expensive pens IMHO are over-rated. All you need a trusty FP that you enjoy using and that writes without hesitation.

Here's mine :While waiting in line at the security counter of a big-blue-chip company to get my visitors pass for a business meeting, when her turn came around the young lady in front of me did not have a pen to sign on the visitor ledger. I handed her my old Italian Sterling Silver FP which fortunately I had ground the previous evening to glass smooth F nib. I did not have any hesitation, as the nib was a NAIL and could handle ball-penners let alone the delicate dainty digits of a damsel in distress. She clamly signed and let me know that is was a beautiful pen and wrote very smooth. said I ' if you'd like to keep the pen for the next few hours for your meeting and promise to give back, you are welcome' . I saw hesitation, followed by a glow and naughty smile on a very pretty face, I got her number and she kept the pen. Hours later, the pen was back in my jacket; a coffee ensued culminating in a nice long walk together while discussing the heritage of China (from where she hailed). Was indeed a nice evening :)

Edited by DanceOfLight