Favorite ballpoint...

I've had the regular old Meisterstuck ballpoint and rollerball and sold them both mostly because I did not like the refills for either.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregoron

• Apollo

• dapv

• MicheleB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (HesNot @ Apr 7 2007, 10:03 AM)
I've had the regular old Meisterstuck ballpoint and rollerball and sold them both mostly because I did not like the refills for either.

Yes, I agree that MB refills are nothing special....and since their prices are higher than normal, it's not a good price point to have an MB Ballpoint.

As I said, I only have the MB BP to match my FP.

A Monteverde "lipstick" pen. Bought for me as a gift from States last year, it is a really nice writer as BPs go and retracts to the size of . . .a lipstick! so doesn't take up much room whichever bag i have it in. I always carry it in case of the need to write checks, post-its etc, where a FP is not the best tool.

And it always attracts attention!

Might have to look at their FPs. . . . wink.gif

We can sail safely inside the harbour but that is not what ships were built for - anon

I've had a Parker Sonnet ballpoint for ages. It's the metal one with the black-green marbleized finish. I've forgotten what it's called. I use the standard black ink Parker ballpoint refills in Medium, and it remains a favorite for jotting down notes on the go, in situations where I fear I could actually drop a fountain pen while writing.

But I'm really more of a pencil user.

Edited by maryannemoll

QUOTE (mr T. @ Apr 6 2007, 10:09 AM)
My favourite ballpoints are the Ballograf Rondo, the Ballograf Epoca and (believe it or not) the Parker Reflex.

I love my Ballograf Epoca! Wow, I didn't know anyone else here used one... ohmy.gif

There's something I like about the tapered barrel and the way the barrel and refill tip meet. It's just aesthetically pleasing to me smile.gif

I like using my dark green Cross Solo ballpoint (edit: it's one of the lacquer ones...not plastic) ; it's very nicely balanced, light enough to use for hours without tiring and looks classy, IMHO.

I also like using my vintage Sheaffer ballpoints (with modern refills, made possible by the use of that brass widget sold by Pendemonium). I have a black Sheaffer Valiant (I think that's the model name) ballpoint that is one of my vintage favourites.

Edited by Maja

I like my Fisher Space Millenium, basically an oversized bullet pen.

It is a comfortable size when open, compact when closed, and writes anytime, anywhere. It is not the best writer in the world, but its convenience and robustness makes up for that. Instead of a refill it is warranted not to run out of ink. I believe they will replace the pen in that case.

Scott

Forgot another vintage favourite---my dark green with gold-filled/plated cap Eversharp CA ballpoint (the "pen that killed Eversharp" sad.gif ). I didn't retrofit it, but am using an ordinary Bic ( blush.gif ) ballpoint refill in it....

Depends on my mood and the fountain pen I have with me.

Favourites are Sheaffer Legacy or Balance (especially now the one with the cracked cap has been repaired).

Also like Pelikan have an assortment of 200s, 400s including a couple of vintage ones that take the old 'straight' refills and a 600 and 800.

Also an assortment of Parkers ballpoints from various eras. I like pens that take Parker Gel refills, shame that the Sheaffers don't.

Edited again, must learn to spell.

Edited by andyk

I own a fancy looking ball point that was presented to me by Microsoft in a system launching breakfast. It is very good looking and accepts regular Parker refills. I have carried it along a Palikan 120 with medium italian nib. I believe however, that owning an expensive ball point defeats the purpose of having it as a loaner

Ever since ink gel rollers came to the market, you can now compromise between the smoothnes of a fine pen and the stiff stroke needed to sign multi ply documents.

Recently, I am carrying, instead of the ball pint,a good looking gel ink roller that you can buy in a blister pack of three, at the 99 Cent store!!!

Since a ballpoint pen is part of my daily standard FP/BP/MP carry, I either have pens that come as a threesome, or in the case of older pens, pens that closely match.

Of the vintage BPs, one of my favorties is a converted Eversharp Skyline CA that now takes Parker refills. I recently got a Sheaffer Crest BP that goes well with a goldplated Touchdown FP/MP set -- the widgets do work well. The Parker 17 BP fits well with a Vac or a English Duofold.

The Balance II BPs harmonize nicely with the original Balance pens, and the stainless steel Parker Jotters go good with a "51." I sometimes use a 45 MP/BP set with my "51s" also.

For writing comfort, the Rotring Core BP is the best, with Sheaffer No Nonsense Pens a close second. If you like big pens, these are it.

If I had to carry only one BP, it would be a Jotter with a Parker or Itoya gel refill.

And if anyone knows where some Esterbrook BP refills can be found, send that person my way!

At the moment I like the Pelikan ballpoints.

The quality of Pelikan refills is very good and they also take the Parker (gel) refills.

When I'm in a 'nice looking' mood, I use the 620 Grand Place:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s77/hruud/FPN_Pens/PelikanGrandPlaceBallpoint.jpg

When I'm in a 'standard'mood, I use my 215:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s77/hruud/FPN_Pens/PelikanM215Ballpoint.jpg

The Legend

Keep writing.

Keep doing it and doing it.

Even in the moments when it's so hurtful to think about writing.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s77/hruud/TheLegendSignatureFPNPR_UB.jpg

Can anyone tell me what other manufacturers use standard parker refills in their ballpoints? I know Parker (obviously), Pelikan, and Visconti, but what are some others? Being as I don't have access to a brick and mortar pen shop it is sometimes difficult to tell just by looking online.

Success is the next-best thing to happiness, and if you can't be happy as a success, it's very unlikely that you would find a deeper, truer happiness in failure. - Michael Korda

I don't use ballpoints. At least, mostly. I never carry a ballpoint, but there are occasions -- e.g., when it's necessary to fill out a CN-22 for shipping a package out of the country -- when one simply cannot avoid the things. So I've accumulated a few. My favorite among them is this one:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/ca.jpg

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

My favourite BP is a Kilometrico by Papermate.

A cheap throwaway costing RM0.70 (about US$0.20).

Starts up every time, laying a nice, consistent line with hardly any of them ink blobs (except very,very near the end of its ink supply) and writes down to the last drop. Best of all you won't miss it if you were to lose it.

But then again, I hardly ever write with a BP nowadays tongue.gif

roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif

Shahrin cool.gif

post-4-1176170150_thumb.jpg

Edited by shahrincamille

QUOTE (Richard @ Apr 10 2007, 01:49 AM)
I don't use ballpoints. At least, mostly. I never carry a ballpoint, but there are occasions -- e.g., when it's necessary to fill out a CN-22 for shipping a package out of the country -- when one simply cannot avoid the things. So I've accumulated a few. My favorite among them is this one:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/ca.jpg

Richard, I love burgundy and gold. It's real pretty. What is that?

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

QUOTE (MicheleB @ Apr 9 2007, 09:05 PM)
Richard, I love burgundy and gold. It's real pretty. What is that?

It's an Eversharp CA (1946-1948) that's been refitted to take modern Parker refills. The CA was a disaster for Eversharp because it wasn't reliable; but with a Parker gel in it, this ballpoint is the next best thing to a Real Pen. Heck, until I take the cap off, it even looks like a Fifth Avenue. smile.gif

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

QUOTE (Richard @ Apr 10 2007, 11:21 AM)
QUOTE (MicheleB @ Apr 9 2007, 09:05 PM)
Richard, I love burgundy and gold.  It's real pretty.  What is that?

It's an Eversharp CA (1946-1948) that's been refitted to take modern Parker refills. The CA was a disaster for Eversharp because it wasn't reliable; but with a Parker gel in it, this ballpoint is the next best thing to a Real Pen. Heck, until I take the cap off, it even looks like a Fifth Avenue. smile.gif

Cool! Thanks.

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

Pilot precision v5 for the win!

This pen writes soooo smoothly. The body is a bit thin for me although it's not a huge deal.