Favorite ballpoint...

Thank you for re-invigorating this thread. I would like to add a Pelikan K200 with lots of different Parker-style refills to your list.

CFTPM

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregoron

• Apollo

• dapv

• MicheleB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My favorite ballpoints are, in no particular order:

• Fisher bullet pen
  • Fisher AG-7
  • Fisher Cap-O-Matic
  • Skilcraft B3 Aviator multipen
  • Zebra F-701
  • Rotring Skynn
  • Field Notes-labeled Bic Clic

-- Doug K.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say that now it is my new Tactile Turn Shaker that arrived in the mail today soon to have my current favorite Parker style refill in it, a Schneider Slider 755 XB in black.

fpn_1514337962__shaker.jpg

My favorite Ball pens are Cross and I have several of them.

I have a small Sheaffer and MB Starwalker and a broken MB Meiesteruck Classic ( which need barrel replacement.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Caran d'Ache that I'm fond of, but I live in fear of running the refill out. I'm not certain that I'll be able to fit a Fisher refill in it once the original refill is empty.

Besides that, I've always got either a Fisher bullet pen or telescoping pen in my pocket. I've used Fisher pens (or Fisher refills in pens) for almost 20 years and have never had a bad experience with them.

--flatline

I've got a Caran d'Ache that I'm fond of, but I live in fear of running the refill out. I'm not certain that I'll be able to fit a Fisher refill in it once the original refill is empty.

Besides that, I've always got either a Fisher bullet pen or telescoping pen in my pocket. I've used Fisher pens (or Fisher refills in pens) for almost 20 years and have never had a bad experience with them.

--flatline

Try the Fisher refill with the adapter it comes with to become a Parker-style refill. It worked for me.

CFTPM

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a Fisher Space pen that I put a couple refills through before it got lost. It was easy to keep in a suit pocket.

I also love the smooth of gel pens but not the lack of water resistance and how fast they run out of ink and they don't have the line/darkness variation that a more "normal" ball point does.

Of the 15 ball point pens that've accumulated in my desk at church, some of which were left here by the previous clergyman, 8 are Bic sticks/or clic PVC tube pens, 4 other click pens from realtors and doctors, an Office Depot cheapie, and two paper mate cheapies. It's kind of impressive how well they all write and that I can leave them alone for months or years and they still write.

I do want black pens to be reasonably black, sometimes they are fun to draw with.

And blue pens to be blue, not blue black.

My two fountain pens live on my two work desks: one at the university and one at church. I've been thinking of getting a third for at home, I'm just not sure what I want and I don't want to spend much on it so it may wait a long time. That's another thread though.

My mom used to have a Parker ball point that had a click mechanism, brushed stainless with a plastic lower body and metal tip, I think. Either red or blue or maybe both. It wrote nicely and felt nice in the hand and looked good. Mom still has good taste in designs. when I was a kid a couple scout leaders had cross twist ball points that I thought were super cool then but don't care much for now.

And, packed to move to Tx I have a walnut body/cap BP that I'm sure was some sort of lathe kit pen. I like the wood. I need to get a better refill for it.

It's hard to beat a Parker-style refill given their availability, variety of ink colors, manufacturers, and they come in F, M, and Broad ballpoint and gel. Fisher was smart to include the adapter.

CFTPM

Two, both Sheaffers. #1 is a black Craftsman b/p that I retro-fitted to take a modern Sheaffer refill. Stamped on the barrel: General Motors Training Program 1951. #2 is a pink Sheaffer Fashion b/p with matching pencil in a tapestry purse-pouch given to me by a good friend. That's my daily carry.

I'd found this wonderful Pilot Hi-Tecpoint pen that uses Pilot proprietary needle point refills. Unfortunately, Pilot discontinued this pen and the refills it takes. There is no direct compatible replacement refill... so that would pretty much make the pens that use it completely obsolete. Very sad, given the wonderful construction of this writing instrument.

However, with a little ingenuity, I was able to take an existing Pilot refill and "modify" it slightly, then add a spacer along with it when installed. Sure enough, it works and the pen can be used once again. It's wonderful to write with. While the Pilot BRFN-30 refills are excellent and put down a nice fine line, I'm still hoping one day to discover a way to get an even finer gel tip refill working in this.

Pilot_Hi-_Tecpoint_pen_01.jpg

PILOT_Hi-_Tecpoint_LHT-300_S_mod1.jpg

PILOT_Hi-_Tecpoint_LHT-300_S_mod2.jpg

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Impressive. Pilot has created so many terrific pens.

That they have -- a very fascinating past. I had been familiar with the "Grandee" luxury line of their fountain pens, and of course they have produced companion ballpoints and mechanical pencils for those. But then I came across a vintage PILOT ballpoint pen that had a dedicated design, no apparent fountain pen "parent companion." It has a wonderful dark grey polished titanium finish. I'm not sure if the body is titanium as well, or if it has a stainless steel core. It twists to extend/retract like a cross, but it's a more substantial pen in girth and appearance.

Pilot_Grandee_Priere_Ballpoint_titanium.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small