Size Comparison Help: M205/l2K/pilot 74/ Pilot 92

cskroeze

Hey All,

I'm trying to decide on my next pen purchase, either the Pilot 74, the Pilot 92, or the Lamy 2000. I currently own a Pelikan M205 (technically a M215) and a Lamy Al-Star,

I know there are reviews a-plenty for all of these pens, and published sizes/dimensions are everywhere. I can even tell you that the dimensions are all within a few millimeters of each other for these pens. However, none of that seems to help to really know how a pen FEELS in your hand!

I'm partial to larger pens, I love the size of my Lamy Safari, and I think that my Pelikan M215 is a tad too small (still love it though!), and I'm worried about my next pen being too small too.

So, for anyone who owns these pens, how to they compare to the Pelikan M215? I know the dimensions are pretty similar, but how do they FEEL? Are the Pilot's "small feeling" like the M215? Is the Lamy "large" compared to them? How's the length (unposted)?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by cskroeze

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cskroeze

• parnesh

• Moshe ben David

• UDog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK it's late at night and the pictures may not be very clear. I apologise.

post-111759-0-14038000-1431716089_thumb.jpg

Top is the Pelikan M200 (same as a 205, just different trim), middle is a Al-Star and last is the Lamy 2000.

post-111759-0-52725300-1431716112_thumb.jpg

Having said that, I find that the Lamy 2000 feels the same as the Al-Star (with regards to length). I have a M200, and it feels okay in my hand. I only have a M200, Lamy Al-Star and Lamy 2000.

I hope this helped!

~Epic

Edited by Lord Epic
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I haven't owned a 2000 in a very long time, so I can't really comment, but both my CH92 and my Custom 74 (they're essentially the same size) feel bigger in hand than my M405:

17692760701_bd78f525f3_k.jpg

Unless you're committed to a piston-filler, could I suggest a Custom Heritage 912?

17504733748_5050a37f83_z.jpg

Edit:

I don't know how useful these will be, but here re the M405 and CH92 in hand:

17666212906_bf3ecf64ac_z.jpg

17072208343_03f4ae418f_z.jpg

Edited by gylyf

These are great, thank you!

Anyone with a Custom 74 for comparison?

+1 on Goulet Pen Plaza. Excellent resource.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

I tried the pen plaza, pretty cool!

Still hard to say how the pens actually FEEL in hand. Any other comments out there?

The Lamy 2000 is absolutely a bigger pen to hold than any of the Pelikan M2xx series. Both longer and larger in girth. Additionally, it is a hooded pen and the nib section tapers down to the nib more significantly than the nib section on the Pelikan M2xx.

If there is any way possible you should try to actually hold and further if possible test write with each of the candidates. Holding and using is very subjective.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I say get both a Lamy 2K and a pilot 74.

I recently purchased a Pilot 74 in solid black with a soft-med nib. The pen is bigger than the M2xx and feels good in my hand. But the real atttraction is the nib.

I have no pen that comes close to this wonderful soft nib.

I agree with Moshe ben David: no substitute for holding in your hand.

But I guess you don't have a B&M near you, or you wouldn't be asking on this forum.

I have never used a Pilot 74, but I offer three thoughts nonetheless.

1. Both the Lamy 2000 and Pilot CH92 are are fabulous pens, and they both feel larger than they really are. Actually, a more exact way of putting it is, they feel more substantial than the stats alone would indicate. If forced to choose between those two models, I'd dither for ages and finally come down on the side of the L2K.

2. Your flag tells me that you're US-based. It must be possible to find an online store in the States that will allow you to buy two pens and return the one you don't want. Off the top of my head, I can think of several places that have a good reputation on FPN for service. If all you want to do is check how they feel in the hand, you wouldn't do more than hold them, and possibly dip the one you end up sending back. Of course, your wallet has to be able to withstand a double-hit until you get reimbursed for the one you return (assuming you don't just keep both).

3. If the Pelikan 200/400 range is just a little too small, why not consider going one size up and getting yourself a M600?

I second gylyf's suggestion for the 912. I find the m2xx series to be a bit too small. The 92 is on the smaller end of my comfort range. The 912 and L2K are perfect, similar to a m800.

I own all 3 pens. I'll admit right off the bat that the Lamy 2000 is my favorite of the three. Bearing that bias in mind, here are my feelings on how the pens feel:

• The Pilot 92 feels the flimsiest in my hand. I always feel like it will break. It doesn't break, and the piston is actually one of the smoothest of any pen I own. But, something about writing with it just feels flimsy.
  • The Pilot 74 is a cartridge-converter pen. I like its solid feel. It just feels more substantial than the 92. However, its writing doesn't thrill me.
  • The Lamy 2000 is my favorite, and it's the only one of the group of which I own two: a broad and a fine. This pen has the highest quality feel in my hand. The tolerances are better. The tapering grip took a little getting used to, but it grew on me quickly. Of the three, this is the only one that disappears into my hand while I write. To me, a good pen is one which I forget about while I'm writing, and the Lamy 2000 is it.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!