Did I Get Cheated With A Refurb 2000?

Timtro

Hi all,

I got a good deal: a Lamy 2000 for C$118 on Amazon.ca from a third party in the US. When I opened it, I noticed a faint blue line on the aluminium tip (see picture). It almost looks like it had been inked and the dirty cap left a ring. But for all I know, this is normal.

I was hoping to get some input from some experts here on the forum.

post-114188-0-43651900-1431408316_thumb.png

Edit: It's worse than I thought. The nib is covered in blue as well:

post-114188-0-75628300-1431409367_thumb.jpg

Could this possibly be anything from the factory?

Edited by Timtro

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Timtro

• Notgatherox

• subbu68

• thatotherguy1

Lamy does test their pens with Lamy Blue before they leave the factory, which is why Lamy pens often need a flush and wash prior to using.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Yep. It's normal since Lamy tests their pens before shipping them out.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

It is normal to see a Lamy 2000 with some blue ink dried up. Just wash the pen, flush it with clean water a few times, and it should work perfectly. Just clean your pen, and then fill with your favorite ink and write!!!:):)

Thank you all very much. That is such good news, and exactly what I was hoping to hear. Not that I would have been less grateful to you if you had told me otherwise.

Timtro,

The grip on the Lamy 2000 is not aluminum. It is 400 series stainless steel. So is the clip. Probably hardened, since there is no real reason to use 400 series SS for something like this unless it is to be hardened. My 2000 is approaching 2 years of daily carry and use. No sign of wear on it all all, nor the clip either.

I love this pen, it is such a wonderful writing fountain pen and my appreciation for it has grown over the past 20 months.

Your macro photography is very good!

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

• 1 month later...

Lamy does test their pens with Lamy Blue before they leave the factory, which is why Lamy pens often need a flush and wash prior to using.

~Epic

Wow, I did not know that, I'm hoping I didn't contaminate my Sailor Jentle Black.

Wow, I did not know that, I'm hoping I didn't contaminate my Sailor Jentle Black.

They should include something in the box telling users to flush it before filling! Fountain pens are such a niche that a lot of precious information are shared between users, that would otherwise learn about it the hard way.

Your photography is quite good!

By the way, you have purchased one of my personal favorite pens.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Good buy I love my Lamy 2000 like carry it and use it daily.

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

~Epic

They even does test the Safaris!

Unbelieveable, isn't it?

That's one of the points why I love Lamy, even the modern ones.

C.

Edited by christof

I do not think that any harm has been done. Pens (and ink) are made for use in the real world, not sterilized clean rooms.

Enjoy,

gary

• 2 weeks later...

Mine had some Lamy blue in it too. I only knew because of the Goulet video on flushing new Lamy pens before inking for the first time.

Other than the obvious time constraints and costs incurred by a stock of finished pens just sitting on the factory floor drying, I think Lamy probably doesn't flush their pens because the C/C pens come with a Lamy blue cartridge anyway, so why flush out the same ink before the consumer uses that first cartridge? Also, Lamy probably hopes that their pens will be used with their ink, so...

JMHO.

I don't mind flushing the pen before inking- I do it anyway- but I do wish Lamy (and all the other manufacturers that do this) would print something along the lines of "this pen has been dip tested before leaving the factory- please clean before using" on a small piece of thin cardstock or paper and slipped under the clip, so one can't miss it on a new pen. It could probably be spun in some pretty useful advertising in exchange for the cost of the piece of card and half a second of labor to slip the card under the clip- "Every pen hand tested to ensure superb quality and unparalleled performance before leaving the factory- and there's the ink to prove it!"

I know I probably would have told all my buddies and anyone else who would listen about that if I were a new FP user... it would be even more effective on Safaris and ABCs, IMHO, because they're aimed at children, who will brag about that little spot of ink in their pen and how it means their pen was hand tested and, thus, better than any given other make of pen.

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

Just got a section for my Studio (My post on Frankstudio) and that too had ink on the inside of the nib when I removed it change to the black nib.

Regards

Subramoniam