Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Pilot Unearthed

A couple of days ago, I was cleaning out a part of my garden that I had let go wild for many years. While digging up endless root systems of Parthenocissus quinquefolia, I came upon this old Pilot Precise Rolling Ball pen. It was stained a tea color (I should have taken a "before" photo) and dirty, of course. I wiped it down with some spray cleaner and voilá. It wrote a little gummy at first, but now it's a smooth, excellent extra-fine point writer. I've been carrying it with me ever since; in fact, I like it so much, I ordered a 12-pack of Pilot Precise Needlepoint V5s. Could someone indulge my curiosity and give me an idea how old this pen is?

post-118450-0-90915500-1431302920_thumb.jpg

Edited by Manalto

James

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• Keyless Works

• Manalto

• delano

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for your loss.

Considering you could at present get a dozen of the same model for 23 bucks or less

http://pilotpen.us/categories/rolling-ball-pens/precise/,

the pen could be anywhere from a day old to not very old.

LOL - well, there goes any potential for drama from that story. From the font on the barrel I thought it might be from the 70s!

Thanks for the link; I couldn't find them - kept seeing the "V" series, so I thought they were out of production. Thanks also for the good laugh this morning.

PS - it started working again!

Edited by Manalto

James

Nice story. I always liked these pens.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the link to your review. I agree with all your comments; it's a pleasant pen to use. (Is the visible feed in the V series functional or just for show?)

I tried to get a box of a dozen on Amazon and kept running into a listing mistake that Amazon made with several sellers of that particular pen, discussed here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/292276-can-an-amazon-seller-cancel-the-sale/

Edited by Manalto

James

• 6 years later...

I loved these and the subsequent versions with the ink window. 

The new white Pilot Explorer fountain pen looks like a tribute to the original Pilot Precise ball roller—about 40 years later. 

https://www.gouletpens.com/products/pilot-explorer-fountain-pen-white

On 5/11/2015 at 8:09 AM, Manalto said:

A couple of days ago, I was cleaning out a part of my garden that I had let go wild for many years. While digging up endless root systems of Parthenocissus quinquefolia, I came upon this old Pilot Precise Rolling Ball pen. It was stained a tea color (I should have taken a "before" photo) and dirty, of course. I wiped it down with some spray cleaner and voilá. It wrote a little gummy at first, but now it's a smooth, excellent extra-fine point writer. I've been carrying it with me ever since; in fact, I like it so much, I ordered a 12-pack of Pilot Precise Needlepoint V5s. Could someone indulge my curiosity and give me an idea how old this pen is?

post-118450-0-90915500-1431302920_thumb.jpg

These pens can do anything, marker, ball pen, drawing or outlining.

I am fat yet my handwriting is slim, how ironic.