Good Cheap Nibs To Practice Grinding

phillieskjk

Hello, I have been looking for good cheap nibs to practice grinding with for the last couple months. Even nibs like the Goulet nib, however were a bit too expensive as I knew I would screw a few up. Then I found these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3pcs-Platinum-Plated-Iridium-Point-Medium-Fountain-Pen-Nibs-new/221718724268?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D31031%26meid%3D4f16a20a6c224b2899c516d333cacc03%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D160976970969 (no affiliation with seller). They write a medium nib, are better than the stock nibs on most Chinese pens, and are cheap enough to make (and mess up on) crazy modifications just for fun. They are number 5 nibs, so they fit a good number of pens. Just thought I would share.

Thanks,

Phillieskjk

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phillieskjk

• Bill Wood

• dneal

• beanbag

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked the Sheaffer school pens for practice. Also the Noodlers nibs are great to fool around with. Looks like you've found some decent ones there. Remember you do want something decent to start with just in case you grind something you really like and want to keep. The ones listed are #5, and will probably fit a jowo nib housing and feed.

xfountainpens.com has some Bulow pens for $12 or so, and extra nibs for $2. I don't think it gets much cheaper, and allows you an opportunity to adjust, tweak, grind, whatever for very little money.

Jinhao X450 is less than $10 and has a nice #6 nib. I use it to practice nib grinding and adjustments. The pen uses standard international converter and is easy to disassemble.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

Do keep in mind that if these are actually #5 nibs, the majority of modern pens probably cannot use them. Most modern pens (almost all of mine, anyway) use a #6 nib, which is slightly larger than a #5.

I have no experience in nib grinding, so, of course, here is my input - - - :P

The Jinhao 599 can be had in bulk quantities of 10 or 30.

Seems to me that you desire more than mere removal of metal. You want to KNOW that a

nib writes before and after you alter it. That means dedication to a pen and feed that can be

verified as working, BEFORE you alter the nib. Otherwise, the desired learning doesn't happen.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !