New Omas Delight - Fix Even If It Ain't Broke?

mvandenbos

Hi guys,

I've recently received a delightful OMAS Ogvia Alba with an 18k fine nib. Really enjoying it - a smooth wet writer without no significant feedback. Just what I had wanted.

I have noticed however that the feed looks misaligned. However, I have no problems with ink delivery - it's wet with inks like Pelikan 4001 and of course it's nice with the more lubricated Iroshizuku and Edelstein inks. The pen write's smoothly on a range of papers from cheap copy to tomoe river and rhodia.

Does this occur frequently - ie the looks funny but works perfectly conundrum? Is it a problem I should be concerned about?

I'd appreciate some experienced wisdom to a relative newbie how reads too much!

post-113809-0-86504700-1431087488_thumb.jpg

With thanks in advance!!!

M.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mvandenbos

• Frank C

• Calabria

• Geert Jan

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It always bothers me when the nib and feed aren't aligned. If the pen pen works well, there is no need to adjust it. Perhaps more experienced pen repairers will weigh in on this.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

It does look a bit odd, but when do you actually notice the misalignment? As said above: if it writes fine (and it seems you're quite happy about it), I wouldn't have any work done on it. If you decide to do something about it, make sure it's doen by somebody experienced (i.e. this pen is too nice to be used as a training object; don't think on this pen you can easily swab a nib/feed either).

Cheers,

Geert Jan

Quality control remains an issue with OMAS. I do look for perfection in a pen and understand that you're annoyed (my first OMAS many years ago developed tiny specks of oxidation on the cap band almost immediately and I remember it drove me crazy - but years later I don't mind that much. A salesman for the company jokingly - and in confidence - called that the "Wabi-Sabi" effect of OMAS).

If it annoys you, send it back, or get it adjusted by a trusted repair place. You'll thank yourself later (although it may mean parting with the pen for awhile).

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Thanks for your advice guys. Will see how I can live with it for a while ... probably a good lesson for me in not fiddling with something that works.

Leave it alone. I cannot tell you how many threads I've read over the years about wrecked pens that wrote perfectly, but then the owner's need to obsessively clean, perfectly align or endlessly tinker ruined it. Great art, great performance and true beauty seem to involve a measure of imperfection.

I would leave it alone. I don't think I have ever owned an Omas with a perfectly-aligned nib! One of my paragons shares the same problem as your pen. It is however my best writing pen and has functioned flawlessly up till now--except for a little stiffness in the piston which I have corrected myself--and 8 years and counting.

AAA

Leave it alone. I cannot tell you how many threads I've read over the years about wrecked pens that wrote perfectly, but then the owner's need to obsessively clean, perfectly align or endlessly tinker ruined it. Great art, great performance and true beauty seem to involve a measure of imperfection.

+1

One reason I liked the older Italian cars was just that trait of individuality.

My Website

That would bother me on an expensive pen BUT messing with it would probably make it worse. I would return it if you can...it's not acceptable and I love vintage Italian cars...in fact the prewar Alfas were some of the best cars made during the period...it was the 70s+ cars that started getting nasty...I know glue is expensive but come on!

Notable post #6 {Thumbs Up thingie}......And......

fpn_1431198131__carterhotelmyt.jpg

Fred

on the radio....The Boxer....Simon & Garfunkel